Chevy guys what brand saw do you run??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Romeo, that's a sweet looking ford. I was thinking though, my chip truck is a GM, but my personal truck is an '08 Titan, does that meen i should be using a Solo, or Echo ???

292 that was a y block or FE they don't make engines like those
no more my 390 has big torque especially with twin sixties and granny low!
I have a superduty and even though the diesel would out pull it on
solid ground it is a plow off road. What really is cool on this fourwheel drive
is even though it is standard it will idle up hill strait up hill never have to
touch the gas kind nice in the tight places. Anyway my first truck was
a 62 unibody with a 240 six step side 2wd also had 67 short wide
300 inline all good trucks.

I had a 300, that was a power house, little brother had a 240 and it was a dog but it always ran. I have a 390 from a 67 galaxie 500 XL sitting on a shelf waiting for the right truck to come along.

Ford and Stihl. I'm real strict on the Ford thing, but I don't mind other chainsaws. I own a couple of huskies and have owned dolmars in the past and even one johnny red.

Last edited:
Chevy and ford guy here (chevy truck and RV) 3 mustangs

A few huskys, a few stihls and a pair of dolmars round out my collection

What really is cool on this fourwheel drive
is even though it is standard it will idle up hill strait up hill never have to
touch the gas kind nice in the tight places.

I had an '88 f350 4x4 with a 460 that would do that. For a test one time, I put it in overdrive while sitting still and slowly let the clutch out. That beast wouldn't die. I never hit the gas and was doing 35 in just a few seconds. I like my Chevy I'm driving now, but it sure as heck doesn't have that kind of power at idle.

Stihl Country

Grumman , (best truck Chevy ever put a running gear in) with a Stihl MS-361 on the step , and an MS-660 getting it's DG's done in the vice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dose life get better?

Same here, mostly Husky. But old Chevys, they have been making junk for the last 20 years. The old Chevys are the best.

I respectfully disagree. I love the older chevy's. I've had a 76 heavy half, 78 3/4 ton, 85 3/4 ton. Loved em and beat em pretty good, but they weren't a 1/3 the truck my 05 2500 HD is. the milage is better with the 6.0L and the truck has been beat on. That 05 has 176K on it and it still running like new. Only repairs done to it have been front and rear brakes, and a windshield from a rock... Can't say that about any of the older chevy's I've had.

Husky's and a 03 Silverado 1500. Almost 85K on the truck with no problems. Everthing is original. Even the tires. Just finally got around to changing the transfer case and front/rear differential oil.

Husky's and a 03 Silverado 1500. Almost 85K on the truck with no problems. Everthing is original. Even the tires. Just finally got around to changing the transfer case and front/rear differential oil.

I didn't know anyone bothered with changing diff oil.

When I checked the differential fluid level it was low. There were no apparent leaks but it was down about a quart. It only holds about 2.5 qts. On one of the Chevy truck sites they said low fluid level from the factory was common. Probably someones idea of a cost savings. Since its relatively cheap and easy to change it out I just went ahead and did it.

The transfer case shoud be done about every 50K. Thats also very easy. The local dealer wanted $139 to change the oil. I did it myself for $12 and it only took 20 minutes.

I didn't know anyone bothered with changing diff oil.

I change my transfer case fluid every year. I find myself putting thousands of miles on in 4wd. It might be excessive, but I'm pretty sure that my old Ford has at least 5k on the 4wd now and I have never had the Transfer case out. I change the diff. juice and the transmission fluid every 2 years. I'm pretty sure that I will have this truck for a long time:cry:

depends on which truck my 72 Bronco sees a lot of off road
going through deep creeks and over rough ground it gets changed
often and checked more often than the rest.
My superduty seldom even sees fwd so gets serviced according to book
any differential or case that sets will get condensation so a change will
prolong life, when water goes above my snorkel on my bronc immediate
change as I am not fond of ring pinion and bearing change they are
expensive. I also prefer to put in the lucus stabilizer to honey it up!

When I checked the differential fluid level it was low. There were no apparent leaks but it was down about a quart. It only holds about 2.5 qts. On one of the Chevy truck sites they said low fluid level from the factory was common. Probably someones idea of a cost savings. Since its relatively cheap and easy to change it out I just went ahead and did it.

The transfer case shoud be done about every 50K. Thats also very easy. The local dealer wanted $139 to change the oil. I did it myself for $12 and it only took 20 minutes.

I drive a 05 gmc 1500HD. Dad's got the 05 2500hd with the duramax. Saws are J-red and Dolmar.
The diff oil according to the manual is 3/4 inch below the plug on these. Seen this on a few others now too.

I drive a 05 gmc 1500HD. Dad's got the 05 2500hd with the duramax. Saws are J-red and Dolmar.
The diff oil according to the manual is 3/4 inch below the plug on these. Seen this on a few others now too.

Yes, my manual calls out the same. My problem was that it took a quart to get it to 3/4 inch below the fill plug. Maybe mine was just a fluke.

Aaron

I change my transfer case fluid every year. I find myself putting thousands of miles on in 4wd. It might be excessive, but I'm pretty sure that my old Ford has at least 5k on the 4wd now and I have never had the Transfer case out. I change the diff. juice and the transmission fluid every 2 years. I'm pretty sure that I will have this truck for a long time:cry:

I've never checked or changed diff fluid or transfer case. Put lots of miles on all the vehicles I've owned. The only 4WD problems I ever had was front locking hubs going out and front u joints.

I've never checked or changed diff fluid or transfer case. Put lots of miles on all the vehicles I've owned. The only 4WD problems I ever had was front locking hubs going out and front u joints.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Well, if it works for ya... I admit it isn't needed anywhere near as often as other maintenance, but I would still consider it neccessary every 50-80K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back