Chevy guys what brand saw do you run??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I change my transfer case fluid every year. I find myself putting thousands of miles on in 4wd. It might be excessive, but I'm pretty sure that my old Ford has at least 5k on the 4wd now and I have never had the Transfer case out. I change the diff. juice and the transmission fluid every 2 years. I'm pretty sure that I will have this truck for a long time:cry:

Smart, same here, doesn't hurt at all. Oil gets water in it from 4 wheeling, the tranfer case is used at all times. Oil is cheap, I love my old GM, the tranny, the transfer case, the front end, the rear end, all the same 80-w 90 gear oil.

Smart, same here, doesn't hurt at all. Oil gets water in it from 4 wheeling, the tranfer case is used at all times. Oil is cheap, I love my old GM, the tranny, the transfer case, the front end, the rear end, all the same 80-w 90 gear oil.
Any of you guys run synthetic 80/90? I hadn't ever before till I used it in my plow truck this fall. However, I'm not sure if its extremely advantageous, unless you live in a colder climate.

I am ford read my sig!

Ahhh but then you have never experienced my 65 f250 4+4+4speed granny the one that meant ford tough :laugh:

Looking like a good one does it have 4+4 or 390?
I have always liked the old fords and they truly
were tough. I am thinking of revamping the one
in the pic original paint but needs some work I
just enjoy running the forty in it now.

292 that was a y block or FE they don't make engines like those
no more my 390 has big torque especially with twin sixties and granny low!
I have a superduty and even though the diesel would out pull it on
solid ground it is a plow off road. What really is cool on this fourwheel drive
is even though it is standard it will idle up hill strait up hill never have to
touch the gas kind nice in the tight places. Anyway my first truck was
a 62 unibody with a 240 six step side 2wd also had 67 short wide
300 inline all good trucks.

Just wondering rope......

Is English your first language?

I respectfully disagree. I love the older chevy's. I've had a 76 heavy half, 78 3/4 ton, 85 3/4 ton. Loved em and beat em pretty good, but they weren't a 1/3 the truck my 05 2500 HD is. the milage is better with the 6.0L and the truck has been beat on. That 05 has 176K on it and it still running like new. Only repairs done to it have been front and rear brakes, and a windshield from a rock... Can't say that about any of the older chevy's I've had.

But did you have the old ones from brand new, like off the lot? And, how do you think your 05 will be doing a few years from now? I have a '80 3/4 ton 4x4, I love them, ain't pretty, but it gets the job done, and when I open the hood, its pretty easy to see whats what. Those new trucks you couldn't even hide a cat under the hood, and good luck if you have to fix them. You say beat on, not in the bush on old logging roads, you would have left the guts all over the place, man are those things low, hate to say it, at least the newer Fords are a lot higher up.

But did you have the old ones from brand new, like off the lot? And, how do you think your 05 will be doing a few years from now? I have a '80 3/4 ton 4x4, I love them, ain't pretty, but it gets the job done, and when I open the hood, its pretty easy to see whats what. Those new trucks you couldn't even hide a cat under the hood, and good luck if you have to fix them. You say beat on, not in the bush on old logging roads, you would have left the guts all over the place, man are those things low, hate to say it, at least the newer Fords are a lot higher up.
So were the old ones, ford kicks in the oldies.

Space ever hear about viscosity break down?

Yup. And I change my motor oil every 5,000 miles.

The way I figure diff. fluid is that it is not under the heat and pressure cycles that motor oil is. I run vehicles until they're not worth fixing--usually 3 to 4 hundred thousand. Sure, changing diff. fluid and other minor things might make the diff last longer, but the point is moot if the rest of your truck is worn out.

I do maintenance that I can tell makes a difference--air filters, plugs, motor oil, fuel filters, tran filters, etc. Other things that are maintenancing just to be maintenancing make no economic sense to me. And like I say--I've never had a diff. failure. :cheers:

Any of you guys run synthetic 80/90? I hadn't ever before till I used it in my plow truck this fall. However, I'm not sure if its extremely advantageous, unless you live in a colder climate.

I put synthetic (75/90) in the rear differential. Its around $9 a quart. It is what the service manual (03 Silverado) calls for. Regular (80/90) in the front. Synthetic should help you on the rear diff. if you want to stretch the service interval a little. Unless you spend a lot of time in 4WD, probably not worth it in the front.

If you tow frequently then its really a good idea to change rear diff. oil. It can get very hot. Under normal driving conditions however, you might never need to. The oil in my differentials was NASTY after ~85K.

Last edited:

got me there...Didn't own the older ones from new. A couple were beat up and wore out when I got them, and a couple where babied 'fore I got hold of 'em.

When I say beat on, it is a company truck with a utility bed that pulls 10-12K lb generators both on road and off road routinely. We set them up in remote locations and have to have 4x4 to get to the tops of some of the hills and some of the odd places cell towers and whatever other kinds of place need them. pulling an ATV trailer through a couple mud puddles is one thing, but pulling a 12,000 lb trailer up a hill, down a ravine and through tractor tracks is something else. Alot of times there are not roads, trails, or logging paths. It is make your own and don't let up or your done for. Another reason why I went through a couple sets of brakes (from towing). I'd buy one myself after "owning" this one for the last 2 1/2 years.

I know they sit low, frankly I hate it. Frame bottoms out all the time. I still like my old fords, that sat up a lot higher.

The company policy is oil change at 5K intervals and no synthetics. I know, it is retarded, but that is what they say. I drove that one from day one up until 6 months ago when I got a new truck and the new guy got mine. Just happens that the new guy is my brother. lol. And that kid just down right abuses stuff, bad.

-Steve

So were the old ones, ford kicks in the oldies.

The old trucks are all good, Fords good but ain't better than Chev, I would have left it at that, but they made lots of dog engines, Chevy engines are the standard for quality, and interchangability. Small blocks share almost all parts, you can even put a distributor from a small block Chevy into a big block Chevy. With Fords you pretty well have to know what month the part was made before you try stuff like that, cars too.

And, the killer point, people change engines all the time, they almost always put Chevy smallblocks into them. Like '32 Fords, for example. Not to often you see Ford engines getting put in anything else, like why?

The old trucks are all good, Fords good but ain't better than Chev, I would have left it at that, but they made lots of dog engines, Chevy engines are the standard for quality, and interchangability. Small blocks share almost all parts, you can even put a distributor from a small block Chevy into a big block Chevy. With Fords you pretty well have to know what month the part was made before you try stuff like that, cars too.

And, the killer point, people change engines all the time, they almost always put Chevy smallblocks into them. Like '32 Fords, for example. Not to often you see Ford engines getting put in anything else, like why?
Yeah it is because chevy's are cheap. I can build two chevy's for one
ford but the ford I build will out last three chevy motors.
I used to be a chevy man but truth kept haunting me as I found
out that fords of the old walked all over chevy.
The 80 chevy is a newer truck than I am referring to and I had
one like you have, 80 3/4 ton four bolt main 350 turbo 400 with
a stall, was ok but would not hang with my 65 f250 390 torque monster.

Now you're just full of crap. :greenchainsaw:

Oh really ever price the parts,now remember I usually
use performance parts on machines I build!
Check out how much a victor aluminum intake is for
289 ford vrs 350 chevy!
Then comes msd ignition forged pistons & crank
brodix aluminum heads,bore lined and balanced.
Check some of these costs and then call it crap
I call it $, clearance brought up that hot rodders
use chevy engines in old fords and because they
were the best that is crap! They do it to cut cost
of building check it out it costs to build a quality
engine :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah it is because chevy's are cheap. I can build two chevy's for one
ford but the ford I build will out last three chevy motors.
I used to be a chevy man but truth kept haunting me as I found
out that fords of the old walked all over chevy.
The 80 chevy is a newer truck than I am referring to and I had
one like you have, 80 3/4 ton four bolt main 350 turbo 400 with
a stall, was ok but would not hang with my 65 f250 390 torque monster.

This is intresting!

Could you explain this better? "the ford I build will out last three chevy motors."
If I may ask, what makes them last three times longer?

Just for a little back ground about me, the next engine I will have on my hook and engine stand will be an early 70's 390 ,,,,, but I run a CSB 305 in my 73 14.000# gvw service van,,,,,, I run 16% grades at 11,000' MSL routinely.

This is intresting!

Could you explain this better? "the ford I build will out last three chevy motors."
If I may ask, what makes them last three times longer?

Just for a little back ground about me, the next engine I will have on my hook and engine stand will be an early 70's 390 ,,,,, but I run a CSB 305 in my 73 14.000# gvw service van,,,,,, I run 16% grades at 11,000' MSL routinely.

You bring up a good point, I am going off my experience and
admit it may be different for others! I have run with the best
both had to offer in the early days and fords held up longer
for me. The 302,chevy,the 348 chevy tripower and the 409
are good ones for chevy! The 390 you have on your stand
is a great choice where torque is a must and I am sure you
will enjoy it. It will cost more to build, the main problem with
early fords were their intakes, a good aluminum intake and
a little head work ,and good carborater or injection system
will unleash hidden potential. The 390 belongs to the group
of legendary FE engines such as 427,428cj $scj and are in
a league all their own for building horses! I know you wanted
more out of this post in explaining the 3 times as long but,
even though there are tricks, like porting the drain back holes
in the heads so oil flows better back to the engine and adding
oil coolers, they can be done on both! How many do these
tricks to make that engine humm?

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about the price of parts, I was talking about the fords lasting 3 times chevys.

Both make good motors. However, chevy performance parts are plentiful for a few reasons. They are plentiful because there was a need for them. Chevys are easy to build and reliable. Parts became cheaper because more people were building chevys than fords.

About small block chevys being put into older fords, that's not really because chevy is inherently better. It's because early fords have a bolt pattern that matches the small block chevy, which is different from modern fords. Therefore, a small block chevy is a more direct drop into an older ford.

About small block chevys being put into older fords, that's not really because chevy is inherently better. It's because early fords have a bolt pattern that matches the small block chevy, which is different from modern fords. Therefore, a small block chevy is a more direct drop into an older ford.

huh? I didn't relize henry was smuggling parts in the back door.....

bolt pattern on what is the same as the ford? must by why I see sbc and ford trannies together all the time.:confused:

The sbc is a proven reliable motor and cheaper to build per horsepower than comparable brands. More people are familiar with them. That is why they are used in cross breed applications.

huh? I didn't relize henry was smuggling parts in the back door.....

bolt pattern on what is the same as the ford? must by why I see sbc and ford trannies together all the time.:confused:

The sbc is a proven reliable motor and cheaper to build per horsepower than comparable brands. More people are familiar with them. That is why they are used in cross breed applications.

Don't see to many half breeds around here,but i was thinking
of putting a 351m in a 57 chevy pu if that counts :laugh:

I wasn't talking about the price of parts, I was talking about the fords lasting 3 times chevys.

Both make good motors. However, chevy performance parts are plentiful for a few reasons. They are plentiful because there was a need for them. Chevys are easy to build and reliable. Parts became cheaper because more people were building chevys than fords.

They are plentiful because there was a need for them.

You nailed that one space:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back