Cleaning solvents/spray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I saw the thread about the Maguires tire stuff to clean and protect the plastic on saws.

Not wanting to hijack the thread completely I figured I would just ask the pro's out there.

I have some saws that I want to clean before I repair them, I have been using some brake cleaner, some mineral spirits and compressed air so far to clean them.

I just picked up some foamy engine degreaser to see how that works on the heavy soiled area.

I like the dish washer idea, but really not feasible.

How do you guys get your used saws looking show room fresh?

Last edited:
Use the concentrated "Purple Power" cleaner from Walmart in a tub or large sink. It's not petroleum based and is much easier on your lungs and reproductive system than brake cleaner.

the maguires tire gel is not the cleaner. you must clean your plastics very well before you use the gel and make sure all the dirt is off cuz once you use the gel your kinda stuck with whatever you didn't clean properly.

I used to get some purple cleaner made by Costal. i had forgotten about it until I found an old bottle in the shed. that stuff works reall well, i dont know if you can still get it though.

clean plastic

Thanks, I understand that the tire stuff is a protectant, I may be able to sneak the the "orange" plastic seems to clean up well with simple dish soap.

It the sludge build up in the cracks and crevices and the bottom, and the dirt build up on the fly wheel etc that I was looking for a easier solution.

I just picked up some foamy engine degreaser to see how that works on the heavy soiled area. .................

Don't waste your time with foamy engine degreaser for heavily soiled areas, it barely works on lightly soiled areas....

Don't waste your time with foamy engine degreaser for heavily soiled areas, it barely works on lightly soiled areas....

That's strange I've had good luck with it. What do you use that works so much better?

I use pinesol 1 part pinsol 2 parts water works great and if you let the alum. parts soak in it it will take the paint off.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use carb cleaner for anything other than the carb. Found that out the hard way...

I have also used foaming engine cleaner on my weedeaters, it has worked well the few times I've done it but like with anything read the label carefully. I will admit I did like the results.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, DO NOT use carb cleaner for anything other than the carb. Found that out the hard way...

HAHAHA...yes DO NOT USE carb cleaner on plastics or rubber unless you want to melt them...or at least dull the shine off of them.

When you get it real good and clean and all shiny just drain all the gas and oil so it will start when you want to refuel and show it off to your friends. Then simply store it on a shelf with a sawcover on it so no dust can get to it (you can even vacuum seal).

Then simply buy a beater saw to use and clean it with compressed air and a stiff brush.

Clean and sold

When you get it real good and clean and all shiny just drain all the gas and oil so it will start when you want to refuel and show it off to your friends. Then simply store it on a shelf with a sawcover on it so no dust can get to it (you can even vacuum seal).

I find that it is nicer/easier to work on clean equipment.

As soon as they are cleaned and repaired they will be sold.

Clean stuff is easier to sell.

try using a suction air gun with mineral spirits. you know the air gun with a suction hose for steam cleaning or what have you. if your using a compressor with 120psi and this air gun it will clean very very well. otherwise if i am doing a complete tear down i use the pressure washer. some folks dont like the pressure washer but when your replacing bearings and seals it does not hurt anything

I have also used foaming engine cleaner on my weedeaters, it has worked well the few times I've done it but like with anything read the label carefully. I will admit I did like the results.

Don't use chemical (butane, xylene)carb cleaner in the carb....diaphrams, plastic check valves, etc....

Simple Green works fairly well, but my YF suggested I try some stuff she uses on the grill called CitraSolv. Natural stuff and works great even slightly diluted. Un-diluted it'll cut through any of the nasty chainsaw funk you can throw at it.
Problem is, it's 40 bux a gallon (concentrate) even from Amazon.com.

Otherwise, I'll use a screwdriver, toothbrush, small brass wire brush, brake parts cleaner, and air for the real thick spooge. Then the Simple Green or CitraSolv depending on what's still left to de-funk. Then a little dish soap, a rinse in the sink, more air to dry stuff out. Done.

Poge

Last edited:
i'm with JJ. i use Purple Power on nearly everything. spray it on an let it sit. then hose it off. it also works in ultrasonic cleaners.
i do use carb cleaner on unpainted, metal parts when i need to remove grease quickly.

I just leave them dirty. Saws look better that way. If I did need to clean one I would probably use Floway from Kano labs. Used this stuff on an old Troybuilt tiller and it was an amazing cleaner. Easy to use too.

Latest posts

Back