Cleaning solvents/spray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nickelmore

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
I saw the thread about the Maguires tire stuff to clean and protect the plastic on saws.

Not wanting to hijack the thread completely I figured I would just ask the pro's out there.

I have some saws that I want to clean before I repair them, I have been using some brake cleaner, some mineral spirits and compressed air so far to clean them.

I just picked up some foamy engine degreaser to see how that works on the heavy soiled area.

I like the dish washer idea, but really not feasible.

How do you guys get your used saws looking show room fresh?

Last edited:
chopperfreak2k1

chopperfreak2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
the maguires tire gel is not the cleaner. you must clean your plastics very well before you use the gel and make sure all the dirt is off cuz once you use the gel your kinda stuck with whatever you didn't clean properly.

nickelmore

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
clean plastic

Thanks, I understand that the tire stuff is a protectant, I may be able to sneak the the "orange" plastic seems to clean up well with simple dish soap.

It the sludge build up in the cracks and crevices and the bottom, and the dirt build up on the fly wheel etc that I was looking for a easier solution.

COLD_IRON

COLD_IRON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Whatever you do, DO NOT use carb cleaner for anything other than the carb. Found that out the hard way...

I have also used foaming engine cleaner on my weedeaters, it has worked well the few times I've done it but like with anything read the label carefully. I will admit I did like the results.

Last edited:
sawbid

sawbid

ArboristSite Operative
Whatever you do, DO NOT use carb cleaner for anything other than the carb. Found that out the hard way...

HAHAHA...yes DO NOT USE carb cleaner on plastics or rubber unless you want to melt them...or at least dull the shine off of them.

sawkiller

sawkiller

ArboristSite Operative
When you get it real good and clean and all shiny just drain all the gas and oil so it will start when you want to refuel and show it off to your friends. Then simply store it on a shelf with a sawcover on it so no dust can get to it (you can even vacuum seal).

Then simply buy a beater saw to use and clean it with compressed air and a stiff brush.

nickelmore

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
Clean and sold

When you get it real good and clean and all shiny just drain all the gas and oil so it will start when you want to refuel and show it off to your friends. Then simply store it on a shelf with a sawcover on it so no dust can get to it (you can even vacuum seal).

I find that it is nicer/easier to work on clean equipment.

As soon as they are cleaned and repaired they will be sold.

Clean stuff is easier to sell.

tlandrum

tlandrum

dealer,saw builder
try using a suction air gun with mineral spirits. you know the air gun with a suction hose for steam cleaning or what have you. if your using a compressor with 120psi and this air gun it will clean very very well. otherwise if i am doing a complete tear down i use the pressure washer. some folks dont like the pressure washer but when your replacing bearings and seals it does not hurt anything

cmarti

cmarti

ArboristSite Guru

I have also used foaming engine cleaner on my weedeaters, it has worked well the few times I've done it but like with anything read the label carefully. I will admit I did like the results.

Don't use chemical (butane, xylene)carb cleaner in the carb....diaphrams, plastic check valves, etc....

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
Simple Green works fairly well, but my YF suggested I try some stuff she uses on the grill called CitraSolv. Natural stuff and works great even slightly diluted. Un-diluted it'll cut through any of the nasty chainsaw funk you can throw at it.
Problem is, it's 40 bux a gallon (concentrate) even from Amazon.com.

Otherwise, I'll use a screwdriver, toothbrush, small brass wire brush, brake parts cleaner, and air for the real thick spooge. Then the Simple Green or CitraSolv depending on what's still left to de-funk. Then a little dish soap, a rinse in the sink, more air to dry stuff out. Done.

Poge

Last edited:
CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just leave them dirty. Saws look better that way. If I did need to clean one I would probably use Floway from Kano labs. Used this stuff on an old Troybuilt tiller and it was an amazing cleaner. Easy to use too.

Latest posts