Climber was stealing from me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And btw, I have single handedly shut down a "competitor" before. Although he made it very easy for me because he was such a piece of shyte.

Only because you had a Dobie by your side.

Mine enables me to do anything, right after I drive him to MickyDs for a burger.

When you're feeling completely frustrated because the cops blew you off REMEMBER, 1099 the sumbych!

He'll be turning up to talk in 18 months to 3 years when IRS slams his ass for failing to report income!

Lord I do love the 1099 form.

pretty stupid advice right there

Has our resident Spacemule been notified?

IMO I know a lot of rip offs often end up as just civil suits but,this sounds like simple employee theft.
The same as if a 7-11 cashier took the money from the register at the end of the day.

I sure as hell wouldn't consider letting the guy work it off. With my luck he would injure himself or fake a serious injury and it would cost me 100 times more in the long run. The joker would prolly fall a tree into a house and cause your insurance to skyrocket. The best option is to go to the police and see what they have to tell you. It's too bad you can't just have the guys legs broke without getting in thrown in the slammer, it's what guys like him deserve, I don't buy the wife story at all.

My point is, that going after a homeowner because he paid the guy who at the time was obviously a representitive of the company is VERY BAD FORM.

A guy knocks on the customer's door and says here is there to collect. How does that make him a representitive of the company? Maybe if he had a shirt with the company name on it or he pulled up in a truck with the company name on it I might have some proof. Did he?

But to hand over cash to a stanger at your door and not get at least a company invoice marked paid by the person receiving it is just neglegence on the homeowner's part. As far as I'm concerned the HO still owes you because they gave the money to somebody else and it's their own fault.

As far as your climber, let the cops sort it out.

A guy knocks on the customer's door and says here is there to collect. How does that make him a representitive of the company? Maybe if he had a shirt with the company name on it or he pulled up in a truck with the company name on it I might have some proof. Did he?

But to hand over cash to a stanger at your door and not get at least a company invoice marked paid by the person receiving it is just neglegence on the homeowner's part. As far as I'm concerned the HO still owes you because they gave the money to somebody else and it's their own fault.

As far as your climber, let the cops sort it out.

The guy was cutting trees on the HO's property all day fromm the thread starters description. You obviously don't run an operation where you aren't the sole person collecting payment at the end of the day, and that is perfectly fine. And if you used common sense over principal, you'd know that forcing the issue on a HO over this fiasco would loose your business far more money than the bill for this one single job. I can see it now.... The HO is on the school committe and starts spweing the FACTS about the tree service he hired. "Well this joker subbed out his work to some crackhead, allowed him to come on my property as an agent of his business. And when I paid his crew at the end of the day, the money came up missing, and he wanted me to pay for it again. LOL what a joke STAY away from that crew if you know what's good for you." Please esxcuse my punctuation I'mtyping this from my BB

The guy was cutting trees on the HO's property all day fromm the thread starters description.

I thought I read somewhere that the OP said that the people weren't home. No problem with employees picking up payments, just make sure they give the customer something in the way of a receipt.

The guy was cutting trees on the HO's property all day fromm the thread starters description.

I thought I read somewhere that the OP said that the people weren't home. No problem with employees picking up payments, just make sure they give the customer something in the way of a receipt.

That's fine and all. But my point is that it's just bad business to make a customer pay twice when you know for a fact that they rendered payment to an individual that represents your company. It's just bad form. If I went around blaming customers for their naievete instead of the criminals on my payroll that took advantage of them, I'd look like a huge ass right? And that word of mouth would get meblacklisted quick in that neighborhood/town. I'll take one on the chin, and moving forward, modify my contracts to specify that payment is to be made to the primary contact.

And what good, may I ask would have a receipt done in this particular case? Are we now accusing the HO of deception here?

i let everyone know that they pay me. this happens alot around here and i have fallen victim to a shady employee more than once, they take my kindness for weakness. :msp_mad:

Everyone here is a tree guy, and I can't believe you don't shove it to people so hard that people would ever doubt you would retaliate for something like this "cash grab" garbage.

I don't trust a lot of the garbage that rolls around here even with the air I breathe, and I let them know I absolutely do not trust them with everything. Somethings, yes. But somethings NO, HGEL NO! I'd rather put the police uni on my own self, and go hunt some kooks than play the little scammer games with the greasy skeazy hood maggots.

I hope the top poster really puts it together that those guys in police uni aren't really going to care about anything in a tree service except the crook. They don't care about anything else. They are just going to catch word of the crook, and pull their stunts like tree guys here about the big one, and then go do their stunts. Flex some police muscle in that county, and get that kid schooled in the system "work and pay system." If you give the kid a pass, he will think for a long time that it's fine to do this more and more. Let the police correct his "better judgement." Can't say it enough.

I think we are missing the big picture honestly!!

first, the climber is a "SUB" & the OP has no clue if he even has insurance? then to follow the home owners werent home? But....they paid "CASH"....why? unless the homeowners agreed to cash with the contractor before hand?

whats even stranger........so bonnie & clyde show up un-announced & the home owner just happened to have enough spare pocket change to foot the whole bill........Pppllleeeaassee, unless they stopped at the bank & W/D the money & why would they do that unless it was previously agreed upon?

Im thinking this whole operation is sketchy & this particular job just shows why you should do things above board......what will the police do? nothing......! cause there was no CONTRACT, it was a cash deal apparently, If I was the HO & you were gonna try to make me pay twice (when there is no contract)..................Id claim defiant trespass & property damage!!!!! Hmm... bet that would cost a little more than what was owed uh?

Let it be, hire on the books, learn your lesson & move on!!!!!

LXT...............

Lxt you should stop I assuming because it makes you look like a a**. I made a mistake in assuming he had insurance, and also in thinking he could be classified as a sub because he supplied his on gear. As far as the sub thing goes, i have a friend that works for a drywaller and all the guys that work for him are subs. They suppl y there own gear but work on the jobs he tells them to do during the times he tells them to be there. Idk how he gets away with it but he has for 30 years. It was not nor ever ws a cash job. I talked to the ho today and she asked me if he gave me the money. I told her no. She then mentioned to me that he did a job for her mom that he left half done saying he was working for me. I informed her that he wasn't working for me anymore.

Lxt you should stop I assuming because it makes you look like a a**. I made a mistake in assuming he had insurance, and also in thinking he could be classified as a sub because he supplied his on gear. As far as the sub thing goes, i have a friend that works for a drywaller and all the guys that work for him are subs. They suppl y there own gear but work on the jobs he tells them to do during the times he tells them to be there. Idk how he gets away with it but he has for 30 years. It was not nor ever ws a cash job. I talked to the ho today and she asked me if he gave me the money. I told her no. She then mentioned to me that he did a job for her mom that he left half done saying he was working for me. I informed her that he wasn't working for me anymore.

No one is assuming anything, we are going by what you tell us & the fact that you "thought" & "Assumed" about him being a sub & his having insurance?................makes you the A-hole!! you come on here professing to be a legall operation & the simplest things you dont even know about!!!, you had no contract, hired an non-insured person & now have lost money..........sounds like an honest business to me!!

Im not trying to cut ya down..........but I have to compete with the likes of what you have mentioned in your operation..Here!! So from a legall operation standpoint I have no sympathy for you, Put your future help on the books, get a signed contract & then you`ll be good to go!! So instead of coming on here crying about "billy the kid" stabbing you in the back & taking money....you should be consulting with the Atty for your Biz dealings & have him type up a contract if you dont already have one!!

BTW...........maybe a look at the Dept of L & I website so you will have the information regarding employee(s)/Employer rights which you should already have??? try reading it!!!

God..................Now the "under the table types" complain about being screwed, Ha, welcome aboard! hacks being hacked!!

LXT...............................

Lxt you can take your legitamate and shove it up your a**. I am just a legit as you. It was never a under thr table deal. Do I have to speel it out with alpha blocks for you.

Lxt you can take your legitamate and shove it up your a**. I am just a legit as you. It was never a under thr table deal. Do I have to speel it out with alpha blocks for you.

Although his remarks are inflammatory, he has a point. You need to really pay attention as to whether or not your "subs" are actually defined as "subs" in the eyes of state regulations. We all know that it's very difficult to find good help in this business, so I understand how this situation occured. you can initiate a few fail safes into your contracts and meetings with customers to prevent this from happening again.
live and learn bro.

LOL, No need to spell it with alpha blocks..........but perhaps you should engage in a remedial spelling course? by the looks of the above!

Im not gonna argue with you, its not worth the time & if you were legitamate you would already know what we are telling you....But you dont! Yep, thats the true mark of an above board company right there!! Anyway...you`re the one who lost money & you will have to square with that on your own................Because by what all you have said & the way you have explained it...you have no Legal recourse!!

LXT..................

OP, it seems to me this is clearly a legal matter, so when you spoke with your attorney about it, what did he say?

I didn't see the info if it was posted, but how much money are we talking about here anyway?

The moral in this story is get with the regulations, or you will have no ability to redefine when you've been defied, and oooohhhhhh you will without exception be defied. Ever hear what Einstein said. He had a good point. "I believe that there are two things that are infinite; stupidity and the universe. I'm not sure about the second one." Guys are born every day, and they are all stupid about right and wrong. Sometimes if you introduce them to the local authority, they wise up and they can thank you down the road sometime.

My advice to anyone is to go ahead and ride solo on your own when you have to, hacks, but the rest of us are going to take this thing by the reigns, lock stock, law and order, and we're going to keep what we earned out of the pest's little greazy pincers. :msp_sneaky:

Back