Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You keep that Glock taped to that saw?

Nope, it's on my hip when working outside. IWB, strong side when around the house, AIWB usually when out in town.

You are notching those trees fore you fall em ain't ya? If not please do It's safer please learn if you haven't already I'd also recommend if you don't own any get some plastic felling wedges ordered up they're cheap and can save your tail on questionable trees

I am indeed notching the trees before I fell them and do use a plastic felling wedge. A friend strongly recommend some videos on using a chainsaw properly that were put out by the Canadian Forestry service and I also read this forum quite a bit as so to learn from the pros.

You are notching those trees fore you fall em ain't ya? If not please do It's safer please learn if you haven't already I'd also recommend if you don't own any get some plastic felling wedges ordered up they're cheap and can save your tail on questionable trees
I don't see any notches in any of those, cutting on an angle is not the proper way to fell a tree. Plenty of videos on YouTube on that also.

Never ever saw a logger or recreational cutter carry a sidearm in the woods, and I've been around lots. But hey, to each his own, maybe you're in a dangerous section of The woods.

Last time I checked, the 2nd Amendment said nothing about "need." I understand that your rights are curtailed in California (I used to live there) and I wish that they were not. That being said, I do not appreciate snide remarks implying that I'm a fearful person because I carry a gun. If you don't mind, I would appreciate getting back on topic. If you'd like to debate me carrying a weapon, I or you can start a thread in the off topic forum. Just let me know.

I don't see any notches in any of those, cutting on an angle is not the proper way to fell a tree. Plenty of videos on YouTube on that also.

I cut small notches on the smaller trees and a good sized notch (link to the wedge I cut out that my daughter confiscated) on the bigger one as of course, I wanted to control the direction of where it fell. I paced it out at right at 70 yards.

Lol, sorry dude, didn't mean to insult your manhood, by the way, you chain is a little lose.

My manhood is fine, got a beautiful wife, great house, and wonderful kids plus I survived 8 years as a grunt :D Agreed on the chain, going to take it down and clean out the bar before retensioning.

If a tree fights back, that hog leg is the last thing you need to defend yourself, just sayin. I don't take a chainsaw to a gun fight. I went out yesterday and cut some very nice madrone that were to close to a friends house for his comfort, he doesnt like the mess they make cause the fire danger this year is going to be very bad. Making a defendable space around the house is going to be key and this is an answer to this problem, my payment was keeping the firewood for next year as these were green trees. Two nice truckloads to my house, one to his neighbor for his help in cleaning up the slash, everybody's happy.

Anyway, figured out this saw and what I was doing wrong. When it's warm, skip to half choke to start or sometimes no choke, depends on how warm it is. The new Husqvarna chain is amazing! Way better than the old Oregon one, staying sharper longer. Is it normal to have to re-tension the chain after each session?

C78718C1-F57B-4FF8-9B11-06B8AAF101F1_zpsuyjanvom.jpg

Some work with the maul and my team of helpers showed up...

FEB2321C-9727-40E2-AA67-BB78722B89D4_zpsi9l0qnoa.jpg

4D8A8B31-6F23-418D-B2C9-997E9E4E9FEA_zpsvwfbdhjc.jpg

3DC3C60F-EAED-4D4D-B841-5CAC58A6EF6E_zpsprudimej.jpg

And just to annoy griz55chev :D

FF0E7F2A-1228-4B8C-9D86-F5F4A90B5EAB_zpsjt51wvqu.jpg

Now why would that annoy me, and more importantly why would you be trying, did I annoy you?

I figured since you went out of your way to question me carrying, that you wouldn't dig a suppressed AR with a standard capacity magazine. If it doesn't offend you, then you're less antigun than I thought :)

Anyway, figured out this saw and what I was doing wrong. When it's warm, skip to half choke to start or sometimes no choke, depends on how warm it is. The new Husqvarna chain is amazing! Way better than the old Oregon one, staying sharper longer. Is it normal to have to re-tension the chain after each session?

C78718C1-F57B-4FF8-9B11-06B8AAF101F1_zpsuyjanvom.jpg

Some work with the maul and my team of helpers showed up...

FEB2321C-9727-40E2-AA67-BB78722B89D4_zpsi9l0qnoa.jpg

4D8A8B31-6F23-418D-B2C9-997E9E4E9FEA_zpsvwfbdhjc.jpg

3DC3C60F-EAED-4D4D-B841-5CAC58A6EF6E_zpsprudimej.jpg

And just to annoy griz55chev :D

FF0E7F2A-1228-4B8C-9D86-F5F4A90B5EAB_zpsjt51wvqu.jpg

That's it, work them wood slaves! hahaha!

Chain tension, make sure you relieve tension if it has been adjusted tighter when the chain is hot, otherwise when it cools down it will put stress on the nose sprocket and drive sprocket.

Warm restarts on most saws I have, I just set the high idle, which is pull choke out and push back in without touching the throttle trigger. I also pull choke to shutoff, can't even remember the last time I used the kill switch.

Back