Competition keeps flagging my CL ad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
around here half the ads on craigslist for firewood are reposted every 2-3 days, if not every day with some of them, sometimes 2-3 next to eachother the same.. then ive seen other times where the person would make 2-3 totally different ads, different titles and wording in the text and everything, but the same guys name and number at the end

Another way to extend the number of ads. Get yourself a google voice number and put that in the ad. You can then make it ring through to your hose, cell, or whatever. You can also set times for it to ring through. Sort of nice to keep your number off of craigslist. Works pretty good for me.

There was flagger last heating season, went after every firewood ad posted, except one. I actually received emails from other firewood sellers discussing the situation, and then who it turned out to be. A frustrating time for sure.

please provide a link to that

a repeated offender may get flagged with less number of flags.
but it's my understanding ... no one person can effectively flag someone enough to delete ad.

Even CL says that one person can flag enough to remove an ad.

On the revenge theme, I was visiting my dad and his girlfriend, we went to some old folks place she was a caregiver for. I was puttin a few sticks in the fireplace and the bricks were poorly put together , I asked what happened to their fireplace and supposedly in the mid 40's the old man now in his 90's , was snakin the neighbors wood pile , guy got tired of it and put a stick to dynamite in the middle of a piece of oak , well it blew the back of the brick fireplace out. Guess he didnt steal wood after that again.

There was flagger last heating season, went after every firewood ad posted, except one. I actually received emails from other firewood sellers discussing the situation, and then who it turned out to be. A frustrating time for sure.

The Akron/Canton CL has had problems with flagging firewood ads. Last year, someone flagged every single firewood ad put in the A/C CL. You could search firewood and it would only show a few ads from the current day and then a few ads offering free wood. This year it seems to be alright. Overposting can really tick some people off. Or your competition can turn things dirty.

I post in the Cleveland CL and only repost every 6 or 7 days. Haven't had any problems this year at all. In the past, I have been hit bad by flagging and people copying my ad. Some are just lazy. I let my service and wood do the talking for me.

If you know who is doing it and you want to get even I would have every one I know call him and ask for as much as he can deliver in 1 load and when he gets it all loaded and gets there refuse the load. Hell call him yourself and send him to some neighbors that don't exist. Make sure he drives by you looking so you at least get that little bit of joy. Then if you can get his address set him up with some subscriptions to some ellicit magazines of the homosexual variety, even if it costs you a few dollars it would be worth it. If you can get his email, then you can really sign him up for the good stuff!

Me personally if I were in your shoes. I would order a load of wood from him and when he got to my home on my turf I would have a stern confrontation with him! Up to and including a good ass whippin! Chances are if this is the kinda guy that wants to f with people from the security of his pc the confrontation will scare him in to better business tactics.

Come summer, I never, ever, get flagged. You just gotta keep reposting. Puts you at the top every time.

yep, ive never been flagged summer/spring, but get flagged in the winter like hell when all the loonies come outa the woodwork

please provide a link to that

a repeated offender may get flagged with less number of flags.
but it's my understanding ... no one person can effectively flag someone enough to delete ad.

I believe it was in their FAQ or Help section. They said its possible, but only a retard would have patience to do it. Sounds like you gotta sit and flag a few hundred times:dizzy:

The Akron/Canton CL has had problems with flagging firewood ads. Last year, someone flagged every single firewood ad put in the A/C CL. You could search firewood and it would only show a few ads from the current day and then a few ads offering free wood. This year it seems to be alright. Overposting can really tick some people off. Or your competition can turn things dirty.

I post in the Cleveland CL and only repost every 6 or 7 days. Haven't had any problems this year at all. In the past, I have been hit bad by flagging and people copying my ad. Some are just lazy. I let my service and wood do the talking for me.

Get many female callers do ya?:rockn::rockn:

Someone keeps doing the same to me, I'm working on a very special surprise for them, hope they like people showing up for free stuff at their divorce liquidation.

I had a friend a couple of years ago face the same situation.He put up an ad on craigslist that read somewhere along the lines of, "For sale, Sony ########### 3 with 6 games and extra controller,brand new in box.Kids a brat, and wont listen so I am selling his ###########.Sold to the first person who shows up with $75 in hand.Call me after I get home, I work swing so i dont get home until after 11pm."

then he filled in the number of the guy who kept flagging his firewood sales.Surprising, the guy quite flagging his ads.

I had a friend a couple of years ago face the same situation.He put up an ad on craigslist that read somewhere along the lines of, "For sale, Sony ########### 3 with 6 games and extra controller,brand new in box.Kids a brat, and wont listen so I am selling his ###########.Sold to the first person who shows up with $75 in hand.Call me after I get home, I work swing so i dont get home until after 11pm."

then he filled in the number of the guy who kept flagging his firewood sales.Surprising, the guy quite flagging his ads.

Now that's a good one!!!!

Craigslist is a bad place to sell wood IMO. I sell ~22 cu. Ft. loads for $50 delivered and stacked of 1 and 2 year seasoned hardwood and people used to email and try to get a face cord for that price.
I've noticed most people buying wood on cl are dumb and just go for the lowest price, which usually results in unseasoned or poor quality wood. I have a few small amount clients I've built up over the last few years who respect the fact that I'm expensive but am dependable and only sell the best properly seasoned wood.
The local small town classifieds would seem to me to be a better place to advertise if you're honest and legit.

again... please provide a direct link. their faq is pretty long and takes next to forever to read in it's entirety to find.

according to all the craiglist help forum responses from moderators.
it's impossible for any one person to flag an add enough to delete.

CL's servers knows when multiple flags are from the same IP address.

Craigslist gets Billions of eyeball hits per year... NO way they would allow any one person to flag enough to delete an ad.

posting multiple times after getting repeatably flagged is a good way PISS off a bunch of folks that's potential customers. get a clue on why you are getting flagged. I assure you there is a reason... besides compitition flagging you.

best thing to do is to either lay off your ad for 2-3 week+ .... and/or rewrite your entire ad in a low key way and completely different .... leave off all phone and/or any other identifying key words from ad that got flagged. folks that are really interested will send an email to connect.

object is to figure out why you are really getting flagged. And it's not the compitition!!!
don't get greedy and post multiple times in a day... follow the rules and allow post to run it's course (2+ days). then delete and repost

if you must... write two completely different ads, then stagger. NO more .... you will piss people off... then they will flag you. once someone is targeted to be flagged by a bunch of pissed off folks.... it's very hard to get the same ad left alone.

sometimes it take months of laying off before folks that flag give it a rest.

I believe it was in their FAQ or Help section. They said its possible, but only a retard would have patience to do it. Sounds like you gotta sit and flag a few hundred times:dizzy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back