Conehead Criticism

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor's Hammer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Dan (TreeCo) posted this elsewhere. My opinion doesent count of course because I'm a dealer for said product, however I will try to answer to the best of my ability. Watch out though! I'm just a dealer out to line my pockets! :rolleyes:

I've been watching Dynamic since they started several years ago but where are all of the end users talking about Dynamic? All the feedback I've ever heard is from salesmen out to line their pockets.

I bet the early Conehead buyers are scratching their heads seeing that design has been dropped. Sounds like an expensive lesson to me and a good reason to wait and see what is next.

1. I have seen several happy end user's of Dynamics chippers in the archives.

2. I assume you are refering the the new 'Discone' chippers Vs the 'ConeHead' style.
The discone machines have recntly been released to fit the 12" end of the market. This is because the double cone design is very expensive to produce, requiring up to 35 hours to manufacture. I've posted pics of this, a LOT of work goes into that head. On a smaller machine, this makes it cost ineffective to manufacture. On a larger machine, it makes better financial sense to have the double cone head. so the 15" capacity upwards are fitted with the same head as always. Not an expensive lesson at all.

Depends on what you want to chip. The discone cuts 17" wide, the 460 cuts 24" wide. You can get higher HP options with the 460.
The DC50 would chip 15" wood, but was choked to make a lighter tree pruning type machine. the DC55 is a heavier version with 115hp.

Treeco wrote-

I'd like a serious discussion. I remember when the Conehead chippers first came out and how it was promoted by Dynamic. I know how I would feel if the design I bought that was promoted as the best in the industry was dropped by it's manufacturer.

So can the early Conehead chipper drums be changed to the new Discone design or are the early buyers stuck with a discontinued product?

The 2 machines are a different design. No design has been dropped. There is no 'discontinued' product. The Discone series is there for people who cant justify the cost of the bigger 'ConeHead' machines.

This sounds like a company is evolving their product line...or is this an example of intelligent design. Sorry if this hijacks the thread :)

Many companies change designs. Does anyone want to go back to using points in the ignition on their car? Carbureters?

Dynamic's approach to chipping has inrigued me from the beginning. I wish that I was in the market for a chipper so that I would have a reason to demo one.

You can come and see mine when you visit the UK Tom. and partake of a few malted beverages at the same time ;)

The DC55, which just came out, is a 15 inch cap. chipper.
I just bought a DC50 to replace my Gravely 395. I loved that little machine,
but it is approaching 10 years old and I normally sell my truck or equipment at
that age and get a new one. I just got the machine yesterday and did not get
a chance to run it yet. I'll be sure to give my honest evaluation of this machine
after I run it a bit. I bought this thing before I ever saw one in person. I did the
same thing with a Morbark 17, which was the worst chipper I've ever owned.
Hopefully that won't happen again, but looking at the way the Discone is set up,
there is no possible way for it to have a wimpy discharge. THAT was the big problem
with the Morbark 17....it would barely throw chips 10 ft.

Just so everyone knows, I have recently been appointed the Dynamic Manufacturing dealer for the state of Hawaii, effective 11/10/2005, but if it is junk, I will let you know
about it and terminate my dealership agreement.

The DC50 is a relatively lightweight machine and is not designed to carry a miniskid. Even my 18X, single axle version would not be able to carry one. Dave Noorgard has a one of a kind miniskid carrier on his 18x, but he has the tandem axle version. I don't know how soon I can really try out my new DC50. My 1 ton chip truck broke down on Tuesday and I have been using my back up.....a 3/4 ton Dodge p/u with a 6X10 dump trailer. The turbo got toasted due to the air filter catching on fire on the inside and the turbo injested the junk. This is the 2nd time it has happened to me, both while trying to back up the 18X on a semi-steep driveway. The 3/4 ton which is a 4X4, could back it up no problem in 4L. I am fixing it and selling it. It is just too light duty and I am going back to med. duty chip truck.

Here is the link for the DC50, it shows it as a 15" chipper and I was told by the manufacturer that they have chipped that size of a log. They are now advertising it
as a 12" machine and the DC55, which they have not put up on the web yet, as a 15 incher.
http://www.dynamicmfgcorp.com/coneheadDC50.htm

The guy that bought my Gravely is picking it up tomorrow. I will put up for sale both my Woodsman 18X and the new DC50. Whichever one sells, I will use that money to order a DC55.

Well when i'm ready for a change of chipper i'll definatly be giving Thor a call and be having a demo.

Back