Confession

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took a hit on my man-card today. I was sharpening the chain on my go-to saw, kept eyeballing the rack of "to be dones" and decided they all needed to be touched up on a grinder. Bundled the whole mess (around a dozen) up and made a 60 mile round trip drive to drop them off at a 'good' dealer. I hope they are still doing them right and not overheating.

After all these years hand filing (with jig) they all needed trueing up. I'll pick them up tomorrow and with a 6-pack of oil plus a new chain for the MS192T it'll eat at least a $100 bill.

Harry K

Took a hit on my man-card today. I was sharpening the chain on my go-to saw, kept eyeballing the rack of "to be dones" and decided they all needed to be touched up on a grinder. Bundled the whole mess (around a dozen) up and made a 60 mile round trip drive to drop them off at a 'good' dealer. I hope they are still doing them right and not overheating.

After all these years hand filing (with jig) they all needed trueing up. I'll pick them up tomorrow and with a 6-pack of oil plus a new chain for the MS192T it'll eat at least a $100 bill.

Harry K

Wipe that lipstick off your face...:laughing:

A good chain grinder is a wise investment if you are doing any amount of cutting. In the wrong hands, they can eat up chains fast though. That is exactly why it's a crapshoot to them to a dealer unless it is a Mom and Pop shop. I've had to redo "professionally" sharpened chains for people before that wouldn't cut. Normally it's the rakers haven't been tended to when too much metal was removed all at once.

You can offset the cost by doing chains for others at half the going rate. Yeah, you may not be making much/hour but if it's a spare time thing you make less by watching TV! :yes:

Don't feel bad LOL. I have yet to take the leap to hand filing. My local guy does a good job and once I get down to one or two loops I bring the rest in for a touch up.

My buddy brought two chains to a hardware store guy near him and they literally took 1/3 of the tooth off. I told him I would be bringing in his chains going forward.

Anybody seen the Granberg File-n-Joint with the electric grinder on it?
Youtube junkies may know that Wranglerstar did a segment on one--looks cool to me, and cheaper than a Silvey.
The drive to a reputable shop is worth it for sure.

Don't feel bad LOL. I have yet to take the leap to hand filing. My local guy does a good job and once I get down to one or two loops I bring the rest in for a touch up.

My buddy brought two chains to a hardware store guy near him and they literally took 1/3 of the tooth off. I told him I would be bringing in his chains going forward.

I have the older version of this, does the cutters and depth gauges simultaneously. Works quite well 99% of the time. Severely damaged or rocked out, etc, grinder, for anything else, these tools are great! This newer design is slick, just flip it over for left or right cutters. The older version like I have you unlock them and flip the files. Works the same though.

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

I have the older version of this, does the cutters and depth gauges simultaneously. Works quite well 99% of the time. Severely damaged or rocked out, etc, grinder, for anything else, these tools are great! This newer design is slick, just flip it over for left or right cutters. The older version like I have you unlock them and flip the files. Works the same though.

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html

Looks pretty simple. $40 bucks on Amazon...

Harry ole boy, I thought you had a real confession to make. What a misleading title for you to use. But I should have known better.

No ding on the man card. Sometimes penning a check clears up your time so you can wrestle bears or finish putting the final logs on your rustic 10,000 square foot mountain hideaway. I have a Oregon grinder that I use. After a bit of self education I don't use a file unless I'm in the woods without a spare loop.

Anyone know if you just put a different size round file in those pferd sharpeners or do you need a sharpener for each file size?

Anyone know if you just put a different size round file in those pferd sharpeners or do you need a sharpener for each file size?

I believe one for each size, at least my older models are not interchangeable. Ya, I tried it. They have to hold both the round and flat files snugly, plus be the correct distance apart plus the offset for the depth gauge.

Latest posts

Back