Crap that people want fixed, or maybe not.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put some firmer AV bushings in the 330 or you will need another boot.
I used a shock snubber from the front end of a chevy. Shove an old Stihl rubber in there if it;s close to fitting.

330s are a puzzle with ill fitting pieces.
I have one thrown somewhere in the barn if you want a spare, you have to come get it. They are not worth my time looking for it.

But do you make any money or even break even on these???

My experience is you tell them what it needs and how much the obsolete parts cost.....get it fixed then the try to low ball you.....even for parts you have receipts for.

I agree it can be fun and challenging but when you have new modern saws waiting your attention......

Just tired of the people thinking $10 is enough for 6 hours of time and $30 worth of parts.

Danny you did a great job on your repair and video you are skilled at the 330 repairs for sure. Now i have to say this there is no wonder that the homies i see dont have any paint left. You have to flip em 400 times just to change a fuel line you wear the paint all off !!,...holy smoke man. In what universe did the design engineer think that was good to go ? You did a great job and good luck with the ole girl.

At some point those saws are only worth being fixed by the folks that own them. At my shop rate it isn't much time to book before you are at the value of the saw in labor costs alone.

Yeah, we end up with a fair amount of OPE after the customer gets a quote for repairs. Sometimes it's pretty crazy too... 2-3k yard tractor and it's given when we give a $150 quote.
End up fixing most of the time and selling.

But do you make any money or even break even on these???

My experience is you tell them what it needs and how much the obsolete parts cost.....get it fixed then the try to low ball you.....even for parts you have receipts for.

I agree it can be fun and challenging but when you have new modern saws waiting your attention......

Just tired of the people thinking $10 is enough for 6 hours of time and $30 worth of parts.

its almost a job for a garage mechanic, someone who doesnt need to bill time but does it as a hobby. In no way would i ever think of taking a 50 dollar saw to a chainsaw mechanic.

Lol....that kinda where I'm at....got a day job but do this because I'm interested and I enjoy it.
I get enough work from a local saw shop that I do their Stihls for and Husky rebuilds along any micelanious they may get. I work for about half their mechanic gets but it's out the back door.

Guess what gets me is people bring me their saws thinking I will fix it and buy their parts for them cuz I a Good Ol Boy and they don't have to wait since they needed it yesterday. Right now I'm sitting on about $1800 owed to me that seem to Keep forgetting about.....even with friendly reminders.....but wonder why I won't fix anything else until I'm paid.

Lol....that kinda where I'm at....got a day job but do this because I'm interested and I enjoy it.
I get enough work from a local saw shop that I do their Stihls for and Husky rebuilds along any micelanious they may get. I work for about half their mechanic gets but it's out the back door.

Guess what gets me is people bring me their saws thinking I will fix it and buy their parts for them cuz I a Good Ol Boy and they don't have to wait since they needed it yesterday. Right now I'm sitting on about $1800 owed to me that seem to Keep forgetting about.....even with friendly reminders.....but wonder why I won't fix anything else until I'm paid.

You drop off the saws without getting paid?

Sometimes you can work on these saws for others or to sell, just remember to ask the owner how much they want to spend first because they don't give parts away. Luckily, I have a few old parts saws laying around so I don't have to buy as much. Old Poulans and Homelites don't bring much so don't expect to make much profit on them. The local mower shops around here don't work on saws much except in the winter when the lawnmowers aren't being used but they work on them when there's nothing else to do..

Some of the older iron, while it's worth minimal, the owner has some ties with it. Might have been the old man's saw, or even a saw they have owned for 30+ years and have no desire to buy something new, even if that would make the most sense fianancially.

A while back an old timer brought in a 1950s era McCulloch (I can't remember the model) and he just needed it tuned up. Said he cut 10+ cords a year with it. I darn near tossed out my back lugging the thing to the bench! :eek::D

Actually have two 330s and 360 Homelite sitting on the bench to work on. I try to not mess with them, they are a pain. Carl (saw shop owner) is real good with them... he went through a fair amount of Homelite classes back some years ago.
If you guys need Homelite parts, we have a fair amount of NOS. I don't have much time to dig through the inventory, but if you aren't in a hurry I can put it on the to-do list.

I did not make that video just had to find it when I knew I was in over my head. Just cut a truckload of oak with the old thing and was glad it ran. Cold in Alabama today.

No, my dealer I do work for payes me up front and I have no problems there.

It's the so called friends I accumulate because of my work. Want everything fixed but forgot the check book or will catch ya next time. I always go out of my way to get their saw back to them because they NEED IT now. Loggers and Bug cutters are bad because they cant pay until they get paid so I become a bank and have to wait on my payment for goods and services I did for them to get them working again. I always keep itemized bills of everything and seems they always want to stiff me after they bring me something else to fix and I want paid for the last repairs first before I touch anything else. Had to bounce a couple guys out for thinking they can come in and start using my tools and have free reighn on parts..... and not expect to pay or even offer a thanks.

Not all this way though...there are always those that appreciate what I do to get their 1978 Mac going so they can get firewood. Those are the people that keep me going!! They will give me a tip and DO appreciate me fixing it for them because no shop around will touch it.

Homelite 330's aren't worth the space they take up.
I had 3 given to me. After fiddling with them for a bit, they all landed at the dump. Where they belong.

Plus they are heavy and not balanced good. I had one several years back, got read of it and do not want another one. Tom

O.K. I'd do a couple of the easier saws at break even cost... this dude and/or his friends will be back for more work/parts if you treat him right. Anything that means more extensive work is clearly not worth it for you or him. Offer to buy the saws for cheap and fix them up in your down time, then sell them off. Just my humble opinion. Otherwise, let him walk.

Latest posts

Back