Crap that people want fixed, or maybe not.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been working mostly Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, and couple of Shindaiwas. Anywho I had a guy bring me 3 Poulans, 2 Homelites, and 1 Mac. He asked if I could fix them up and get them all running. I was really apprehensive about the lot but agreed to do what I could. He said don't get in to deep with costs, don't spend more than the are worth. Now at the time I'm thinking OK so maybe $30 dollars apiece on the Poulans would be the break point and who knows on the rest. Ok first McCulloch was a 3516, new fuel lines, purge bulb, cleaned out the carb and filters, ran like a champ. Its kind of a turd to work on but not bad. Next a Poulan 1950 Wood Shark, same problems, new fuel lines, new purge bulb, cleaned filters and carb. This saw was really easy to work on, and the carb adjusted out well. Poulan 2375 Wild Thing almost an identical saw with the same problems. I was impressed with these saws, the ease of disassembly and reassembly is remarkable. Then the best was a Poulan 2900, this saw bears a striking similarity to a 55 Husqvarna just smaller. This saw was simple to work on and tested out perfect. Now the bad part fixed the Homelite Super II. It was a pain to work on had to disassemble pretty much everything but it came apart fairly easy. Cleaned carb, replaced fuel lines, reassembled back together tuned out. The worst and still don't have fixed was this Homelite 330. This saw is hell to take apart, evidently the intake boot is bad and have to order one. I thought I would never get this saw apart. Honestly don't know how they got this all crammed together. Its a good looking saw but what a nightmare to disassemble. Reassembly may push me over the edge of sanity. I guess it would help had I ever seen one before. I'm just hoping when it goes back together it all works. I mean really not to question the engineering, but seriously is this best and brightest Homelite had to offer at the time. I'm reconsidering my dislike for newer Poulans now.

haha i would start screaming throwing things and crying in a conner hhaha i dislike older saws because i never grew up with them that all

when I had my shop I would get crap like that in all the time,,, I would tell the people that if it takes more then a carb kit and fuel lines it would cost more to fix it then it was ever worth,, they are easy fixes but I would get 40 bucks to do that

when I had my shop I would get crap like that in all the time,,, I would tell the people that if it takes more then a carb kit and fuel lines it would cost more to fix it then it was ever worth,, they are easy fixes but I would get 40 bucks to do that

we do full rebuilds on saws all the time. A $300 rebuild is cheap on a $1000 saw.

How does working on the Shindawa saws compare with the rest? Just curious as Shindaiwa is pretty much the only brand I've messed with.

I like my 2900 poulans they are a strong little saw, the first one I got for 7 dollars at a garage sale, it had 3 new chains, some bar oil and a scrench but thy couldn't start it.
I took it home and scraped 1/2 inch of crud off the air filter and it fired on the 3rd pull.
The next one I got NIB but the box was in bad shape and the chain was missing, but hey I got 3 new chains with the other one.
This saw had never been assembled, I gave $25 for it

John

How does working on the Shindawa saws compare with the rest? Just curious as Shindaiwa is pretty much the only brand I've messed with.

The Shindaiwas are pretty good saws. The only real problem with them I have found is coil-spark issues, and they are hard to get parts for. If its just carb related or normal wear and tear its not a problem. They are really tough. I have a friend that carries a 488 around naked in the bed of his truck year round. The saws naked not him, just to clarify. Its out in the rain, snow, sleet, ice, hot sun, dirt, and dust 24/7. Dang thing starts 2nd - 3rd pull everytime. He brings it to me to sharpen is the only time it gets cleaned. I mean he treats this saw like he stole it.

I usually grab parts when and where I find them. The one that really seems to have issues is the little 345. There are no spark 345s showing up on eBay quite often. Quite a few show up with chain brake issues as well.

I've done three 330 homelites this year. All required an intake boot so I put fuel and oil lines on them while they were apart. I know they take awhile to take apart but they can be made to work pretty well if you don't give up. Homelite made several saws that people don't care to work on, 330, 150, Super 2 and a few others. I've worked on them all and have made fairly good runners out of them. They only problem I have with them are, when I get them all together with a few new parts I end up with more in them than they're worth. I usually end up using these saws to cut my firewood and sell the Huskys, Stihls, and Echoes.

I've done three 330 homelites this year. All required an intake boot so I put fuel and oil lines on them while they were apart. I know they take awhile to take apart but they can be made to work pretty well if you don't give up. Homelite made several saws that people don't care to work on, 330, 150, Super 2 and a few others. I've worked on them all and have made fairly good runners out of them. They only problem I have with them are, when I get them all together with a few new parts I end up with more in them than they're worth. I usually end up using these saws to cut my firewood and sell the Huskys, Stihls, and Echoes.

Knowing what I do now I would do the same. Run the supposed junk saws if I only did firewood. Once you go through a few they are very eay to work on and can be surprisingly durable for what you put into them money wise with a few simple mods

Latest posts

Back