Current picts of wood cutting and weather conditions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few picts from today, more wood to cut when the end of the road gets punched through, 036 in the snow.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201087.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201082.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201084.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201081.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Last week I cut a couple of loads of hardwood, I gave my old Solo 655 a run it went well apart from a bucking spike fell off. The fasteners are somewhere amongst the noodles.
Not the best weather to be cutting the temp has been between 90- 100F, Roll on winter!

1Medium-15.jpg

2Medium-6.jpg

3Medium-2.jpg

4Medium-2.jpg

Last week I cut a couple of loads of hardwood, I gave my old Solo 655 a run it went well apart from a bucking spike fell off. The fasteners are somewhere amongst the noodles.
Not the best weather to be cutting the temp has been between 90- 100F, Roll on winter.

I don`t think I would be out cutting wood if it were 90-100F, way too hot for me. That euc. looks like it would be hard splitting, the solo took care of it though. How cold does it get there in your winter?
Pioneerguy600

Love the pics jerry! Nice pickup also! One ???? though were are the dolmars?

This week was Stihl week, next week will be Dolmar week, next Jonsered, and the following week will be Husqvarna week, got to keep rotating the different makes to keep them happy. Actually they would all like to be working but I only have 2 hands. The Pioneers get to play on the weekends if its not a production cutting day. If I took the number of work days in a year and ran a different saw each day I could just barely run each saw once.
Pioneerguy600

Great pictures!! I've been cutting last couple of weekends all dead Ash with new 362. You're right this is the time of year to cut with ground frozen. Don't know about this weekend though with all the snow on the ground.

I've been trying to get to the woods for the last 3 weekends. Sunday 3 weeks ago I stopped at the store enroute and when I came out I realized that the 3pt arm on my tractor was broken and my splitter was hanging all cockeyed. Since my tractor is my key piece I had to turn around and head home. Next 2 weekends were cold and/or full schedule. I try not to go if it is near 0°f. Too hard on the teeth. :D

My back doesn't let me push too hard especially in winter so I try to reduce handing of teh wood. I have a Deere 4wd tractor with pallet forks on the front and splitter on the back. I fell, chunk, split, and stack into my 1/2 cord racks then strap the wood down tight and fork it out to the truck. Handle it one cycle and done. Racks set onto casters and get wheeled into basement as needed.

I'll work on some pics if I ever get back out.

Where are you cutting, Jerry? Looks like some nice wood.

I am cutting less than a 1/4 mile behind where I live here in N.S., there is a big development underway there presently. We clear cut around 200 acres 2-3 years ago on this site before the approach roads were started, now the service roads are being built. I do contracting work for the developer and when there is some trees that need to come down he lets me know, the smaller trees they just knock over with the excavators and set them asaide for me to get when I get a chance. You know what they say, "nothing like free wood" and its close to home to boot.
Pioneerguy600

Great pictures!! I've been cutting last couple of weekends all dead Ash with new 362. You're right this is the time of year to cut with ground frozen. Don't know about this weekend though with all the snow on the ground.

You get hit hard from this last storm? How much snow on the ground now? I have not run the 362 but have used many 365`s and 372`s and they are great performing saws.
Pioneerguy600

Nice pictures Jerry. I wish I'd taken my camera last week when I was down cutting ohia. I want to show you how the trees just grow straight out of the lava rock.

I for one would like to see those trees in their natural growing area and of course show the saws doing their thing.
Pioneerguy600

I went out to cut some big oak yesterday and decided to take a few pictures.
They just logged the swamp this fall. They left all these oak tops everywhere. I gotta try to get as much out of there before spring. This area will be under 4 feet of water at times!
stihl5.jpg

stihl4.jpg

stihl3.jpg

stihl2.jpg

stihl1.jpg

You get hit hard from this last storm? How much snow on the ground now? I have not run the 362 but have used many 365`s and 372`s and they are great performing saws.
Pioneerguy600

No, I'm about 50 miles north of the City and we didn't get any snow from that big storm that hit Maryland, DC, etc.. Today they were calling for 8" to 15", but so far only about 3-5 inches. I think from reports the City and Long Island getting hit pretty hard. No just picked up my Ms362 so far love it nothing to complain about and from what I've read after a few more tanks of gas will only get better.

Last edited:
You're lucky. I'm clearing hurricane Juan damage (still) behind my place, but can't get my truck in. Have to pull it out by hand. It's pretty time consuming, and it's mostly Black Spruce. The price is right, however.

After hurricane Wan went through here we brought in the heavy machinery and worked 2-3 feller bunchers, 2 processors , and 2 porters for close to 3 years, cleaned up 4500 acres of once heavily treed acreage. Up until the hurricane this area had only been select harvested, after the hurricane there was a 80% blow down so it was best to remove everything and let it start over.
I havn`t had to cut a stick of wood on my properties since the hurricane and I am just letting it grow bigger, it was last select cut in 1947.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back