Cutting Poly Pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
Reaction score
I need to set up three chainsaws to cut 20" SDR11 poly pipe. For those that don't know, 20" is the O.D. and the wall thickness is about 2".

I googled and got some info on how to do it, just wanted to get your opinions as well.

We can't use bar oil. Most companies just don't run any oil. However, I found that paraffin oil can be used. Any experience with this? The fusion company we get certified through said the oil from the plastic is enough, I just don't buy that.

Also, need to keep the plastic "chips" out of the motor. Use mosquito netting?

Any opinions and/or experiences would be appreciated.

I have cut larger poly on a few occasions ,to be honest the way any of the saws i used where set up where just like you wood for firewood duty,some had semichisel some had full chisel,but they all had oiled chains,cant see why you couldnt use vege oil if your plumbing for food,as you know the machining process removes the rough saw cut and leaves a clean surface ready for the heating and joining

I rebuilt a 570 a year ago for a friend who builds ponds for a living. The saw was used for cutting exactly what you what you describe- they use the pipe for over-flows on the dams. I spent an hour or more debriding that saw. The plastic melts as much as it cuts, don't believe that the oil from the plastics will lube the bar.

,cant see why you couldnt use vege oil if your plumbing for food,as you know the machining process removes the rough saw cut and leaves a clean surface ready for the heating and joining

You need to meet our inspectors, and then you would know why. This is for water transport for fracking wells.

i dunno if it is any help, but paraffin is the base for good pushbike chainlube. Ive used the fancy stuff, and Ive used straight paraffin oil. Pretty good lube, hangs on pretty well, not sure how much it will thin out with the heat from the saw. Got to be better than nothing.

And a half cup in a rainwater tank kills wrigglers, and doesn't give the water any taste after it rains - like kero does.

Some of the construction saws are setup with a garden hose attachment for masonry cutting.

Check out a full line STIHL or Husqvarna dealer to put together a hybrid saw/chain combination for your use.

Philbert

Ideally, I would want a bandsaw, but 20" is big for a portable one. Not familiar with these pipes or work environment, so not sure what is practical/feasible.

Maybe a Wright reciprocating saw with a fine tooth blade?

Love to see some pics.

Philbert

I saw a guy cut up a thick mobile home trailer frame with a "sawzall''...it was slow going'''...but it worked.

I would think poly vinyl pipe would no problemo...like cutting 2" dried hardwood.

J2F

I need to set up three chainsaws to cut 20" SDR11 poly pipe. For those that don't know, 20" is the O.D. and the wall thickness is about 2".

I googled and got some info on how to do it, just wanted to get your opinions as well.

We can't use bar oil. Most companies just don't run any oil. However, I found that paraffin oil can be used. Any experience with this? The fusion company we get certified through said the oil from the plastic is enough, I just don't buy that.

I have a neighbour that works construction and they use a MS271 to cut the pipe. I did see the saw because he had a tree come down and needed a hand to clean it iup and it was a normal saw, no plastic chip problems but I do not know if they used chain lube. I would think Canola oil would work perfectly

The pipeline guys that come in here are running ms260 and ms291 saws with 20" 3/8 bars 72lgx chain. They started out with no bar oil and was burning up bars and chains on just a couple cuts. They now run biodegradable bar oil and oil companies aren't complaining. plastic cuts just like wood. keep the chains sharp and the chips are no problem. leave the bucking spikes on too. they tried taking them off for the extra inch of cut and quickly put them back on.

The pipeline guys that come in here are running ms260 and ms291 saws with 20" 3/8 bars 72lgx chain. They started out with no bar oil and was burning up bars and chains on just a couple cuts. They now run biodegradable bar oil and oil companies aren't complaining. plastic cuts just like wood. keep the chains sharp and the chips are no problem. leave the bucking spikes on too. they tried taking them off for the extra inch of cut and quickly put them back on.

My cousin used an MS260 when he did that with the Quarry.

My Uncle uses his husky 268.

Those applications are not related to any food handling or processing, so I can't help you with the oil, but definitely use a good saw.

You need to meet our inspectors, and then you would know why. This is for water transport for fracking wells.
all the bad shcit thats used in drilling and such and theyre worried about a little oil ............. just factor a new bar and chain in for every days work and go with that ,after all that's not much money in the grand scheme of things,fracking has got a badrep here too ,not real popular with farmers

... 20" is the O.D. and the wall thickness is about 2"... However, I found that paraffin oil can be used...

So you need a saw that will pull a 24" or longer bar, unless you want to rotate the pipe as you cut it. I'd say 'cheap' 60cc or better. "Paraffin Oil" is not very specific, at least to me. If they meant something like mineral oil, that is available in different viscosities, and some should be suitable enough to keep from burning through bars and chains. If they meant something like Kerosene, I suppose it could be used for bar oil, but I don't know to what effect.

So you need a saw that will pull a 24" or longer bar, unless you want to rotate the pipe as you cut it. I'd say 'cheap' 60cc or better. "Paraffin Oil" is not very specific, at least to me. If they meant something like mineral oil, that is available in different viscosities, and some should be suitable enough to keep from burning through bars and chains. If they meant something like Kerosene, I suppose it could be used for bar oil, but I don't know to what effect.
When you buy commercial paraffin oil it doesn't mention purity, viscosity or anything. It seems that paraffin isn't a very specific term and covers all sorts of products from wax, through jellies (petroleum jelly), mineral oils, kerosene, medical grade paraffin.......

If you can figure out the bar lube problem so the chains don't burn up, you might think about Stihl duro carbide chain. I am becoming a big fan of that chain. Stays sharp a lot longer. I have to think that plastic would be hard on cutters. The carbide will hold up well. Good luck.:chainsaw:

To ask a dumb question...Why not just use a circular saw instead of a chainsaw..?? - No lube needed o_O

J2F

We do on the smaller diameters, but it is too hard to keep the cut straight on larger diameters. For fusing, the pipe needs to butt up perfectly. The fusing maching will hone the pipe down, but the less it has to do, the better.

all the bad shcit thats used in drilling and such and theyre worried about a little oil ............. just factor a new bar and chain in for every days work and go with that ,after all that's not much money in the grand scheme of things,fracking has got a badrep here too ,not real popular with farmers

Not concerned about contaminating the water, they are concerned about the fused joint, don't want the bar oil getting mixed in.

Latest posts

Back