Dealer or omline for Husky's???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I've always been a strong advocate of buying chain saws from a local dealer. Having said that some of the deals online are tough to pass up. Here is my situation. I'm going to buy a Husky 353 in the spring. And in all likely hood I'm going to get a Husky 357XP also. Here are the prices I'm dealing with.

Locally-
353 w/ 16" b&c w/ one chain $389.99 plus tax = $417.28
357 w/ 18" b&c w/ one chain $599.99 plus tax = $641.98 - $1059.26 for both saws and one chain per saw. Add the two extra for both saws @ $16 a chain that's another $64 bring the total to $1123.26

Online-
353 w/ 16" b&c w/ 3 chains $349 plus $28 shipping = $377
357 w/ 18" b&c w/ 3 chains $539 plus $28 shipping = $566 - $943 for both saws w/ 3 chains per saw.

$1123.26 locally - $943 online = $180.26 difference. The only time I've ever needed my dealer for my Stihl's is when buying air filters. I've never needed service of any kind. $180.26 is a nice chuck on money to save. What do you guys think. I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm not commented either way! Thanks, NYH1.

not that many do... but you are supposed to pay the sales tax locally even if you buy online... If you pay with credit card, there is a paper trail.

i personally wouldnt pay that much extra for dealer, especially when you can yourself take care of the maintenance and stuff...

go for online, id say

if you service the saws yourself,you probably can go the online route.
if the saw has a warranty issue don't expect the local dealer to help you.
the dealer sticks their neck out to run the business,not rescue someone that bypassed them to save money.
the husky dealers around me are being killed by the big box stores,something will blowup eventually with that I am sure.

Here's my three cents. Buy the 353 and the 372xpw from baileys for 40 bucks more and you will be happier than a pig rollin in slop.

The 357 is a nice saw, but I think there isn't enough difference to warrent buying both the 353 and 357. They are too close in size. Get the 353 and the 372. The 357 is a bigger saw for a couple more cc's. might as well get a 372 will you still can that packs the extra punch for not much more weight.

With that being said...200 bucks is 200 bucks. If you would buy both at the same time, there is a chance you could get a good break from you dealer.
But, remember your dealer will not like you coming in for parts and supplies if you bought your saws elsewhere. Also remember, that if ordering the powerheads from bailey's, you;ll need bars and chains.

I work on all my own stuff, and while I don't really "need" local support, I buy quite a bit of parts. I buy more stuff from my dealer than I do online. It might cost a couple bucks more, but it is right around the corner and I'd like to think I am helping keep a couple local dealers around. Eventually everything will be mail order, except stihl, but until then I will try to support my local dealers.

If you want to see the lowest online pricing. Saving $42.64 less. An Arboristsite Sponsor.
1) Husqvarna 357XP Chainsaw $549.99
2) Oregon 72LGX72 20" Chain .050 Gauge each $10.99 total $21.98
1) Husqvarna 353 Chainsaw $349.99 comes with 2 extra chains

Add discount code AS50 and get the Arborist Promotion - $50 off coupon [Husqvarna 357XP] -$50.00

Shipping Rates: Both Saws
FedEx Home Delivery $28.40 United States, NY, 12533

Total: $900.36

These figures are from our site.

NYH1, I'm in the same boat, as far as trying to figure out whether to go the dealer route or on-line. I found the 353 on-line 18" bar plus extra chain, files, and bar cover for $348 free shipping. My dealer wants $389.

bwalker said:
:ices_rofl: Do you know anyone thats actually done this?

I plead the 5th!:biggrinbounce2:

I did get harassed for 6 months by the state of Illinois for purchases made on a corporate credit card based out of Chicago... I had to turn over tables to get them to believe I was a Montana resident and NOTHING I bought ended up in Illinois.. I'm sure I'm still in their computer..

I had the same inquiry from California, but they dropped it after one letter.

In WA, if you get audited, one of the audit processes is to examine all credit card purchases. State law here is quite clear... and as USE tax is applied on capital assets employed in business, it's even tricker to avoid... and much more expensive if you get caught. There is even a line on the business tax return.. if you put zero, sign it and get caught - that's a big problem... No personal tax return in WA, so it's easy to slide beneath the radar.

This will all come to a screeching halt when the feds force on-line sales to collect taxes based on destination jurisdiction.. it's comming... and the States/local govt are all behind it.

The is one small thing I love in WA - just this side of the border with Oregon (Oregon has no sales tax) is a small office, and a sign that says something to the effect "declare and pay all state taxes here". Never have seen much activity there.... One side of the river is Vancouver, the other Portland. Want to guess how much retailing goes on in Vancouver (relatively..)?

Last edited:
NYH1 said:
The only time I've ever needed my dealer for my Stihl's is when buying air filters. I've never needed service of any kind. $180.26 is a nice chuck on money to save. What do you guys think. I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm not commented either way! Thanks, NYH1.

But you're not buying Stihls...you're buying Husky's! Might need that local dealer....:ices_rofl:

I agree w/ Freak. Skip the 357 and get a 372...

Maybe just get a 5100s and a 372 since dealer support is a non issue.

Chaser

When running Stihls you need a pick-up truck full of air filers ;)

I would definately go for online. A husky saw never breaks down so there is no need for dealer support like for Stihls :clap:

I would not be interested in a dealer putting his profit one the price. You already know what you want. A 353 and a 357 (congrats btw to a very good taste for chain saws! ) so why would you pay extra? You have read the specs, peoples opinions in this forum and so on. Also, you do the work yourself, you learn how your saw works and it's fun. Go for Online!

- Peter

Sorry for taking so long to reply back. Long night at work last night. Didn't really do the computer thing when I got home, watched a little TV and went to bed!

To be even more specific. I'm going to by the 353 first. That won't be until late winter or early spring. I'm still not sure if I going to by a new 357XP or try to find a good used one. The way I am, I'll more then likely buy new. That won't be until summer. Both saws will remain stock with the exception of replacing the cat muffler on the 353, and the 357 if they have the cat muffler too.

I'm definitely going to get the Husky's. I just real like the way they feel. To tell you the truth I wish I would have looked at them before I bought my Stihl's. Although I do like my 021 a lot, nice and light!

As far as getting the 372XP, I think that would be way more saw then I'd ever need. The biggest trees I'll be cutting is 18" to 20" at the trunk. 75% of them are between 12" and 16". Mostly cherry. I've using my 029 the last six years. I think a 357 would work a lot better for this then my 029. Plus by the time I'm ready to buy the 357 I might not even be able to get a 372. I was thinking about getting a 359 as a replacement for my 029. For the same size and weight I think I'd be better off getting the 357.

Uwharrie, I'll definitely keep you in mind. I'll e-mail you when I'm ready to buy. Like I said it's going to be close to spring before I buy the 353. If I get some overtime before then maybe I'll buy both at the same time.

I'm going to get a tachometer so I can tune all my saws as well. That's another thread for another day though! I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks a lot guys! :)

The 357xp is awsome. Plenty of power for what you're cutting IMO.
Way stronger than my ms290(is it the same as the 029?).

zzrcanuck, as far as I know the MS290 and 029 are pretty much the same saws. If there are differences I don't know what they are. Someone else will have to help use out on this!

What bar and chain do you run on you 357XP? Thanks again! :rockn:

I like buying local. I like being able to call my dealer, and they recognize me on the phone. I like getting a couple of the Sthil calendars and a couple of hats a year for free. I don't use my dealer for service, but do for bar oil, bars, chains, files, wedges, ax handles, and of course, saws. I could get all of that online and save, but I like being a "regular" in there and knowing they'll take care of me.

I also like going in there, and having the saw's price on the shelf....and then "my" price.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
I like buying local. I like being able to call my dealer, and they recognize me on the phone. I like getting a couple of the Sthil calendars and a couple of hats a year for free. I don't use my dealer for service, but do for bar oil, bars, chains, files, wedges, ax handles, and of course, saws. I could get all of that online and save, but I like being a "regular" in there and knowing they'll take care of me.

I also like going in there, and having the saw's price on the shelf....and then "my" price.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff
I totally understand where you're coming from. But I'll never go to a saw shop enough be a regular, and I'll never get "my" price and I don't expect to either. I just don't use my saws enough. If I used my saws for a living that would be completely different.

I'm kind of thinking that the money I'll save buying on-line I can use that money for a good tach and some other tools that I'll be able to use on all my saws. Maybe a few shop manuals too. That way if I have any problems between the shop manuals and asking some questions here and there I might be in good shape.

I don't have a whole lot of experience working on two cycle engines or chain saws. But I didn't have any experience working on and rebuilding small block Chevy engines until I did it. After my father and I did our first rebuild the rest of them came easy. It'd be something else to learn I guess, kind of looking forward to it now to tell you the truth!

I appreciate all the input, I really do, thanks guys! :cheers:

I like my local shop a lot, and got my only saw (O26) there in 94, so they have been there. The bay area prices are brutal retail though, $25 for a 20" loop of RS, $600 for a 361 plus tax, an 026 pro, $500. They do Not carry much of mid size huskies, such as 359,365,357, so just had to save a ton and get the 357 from Uwharrie. (probably close to $200 less than a 361here) I do feel guilty, but they did not have a husky I wanted. (hopefully I don't hate the outboard clutch too much, and tell SawTroll I am looking for the best scale I can find so we can put that powerhead on it and settle this hefty weight dispute. Madsens says the 357 is 12.1 on their digital scale, do you think they forgot to really weigh it? ) I went with a sponsor here, but too bad for me I get sales tax from Bailey's, does make quite a difference on these pricey powerheads. If you can get a baileys 372 with no tax, that would really take the cake. I think it was the CA tax which killed the dream for me. Did save the bar and chain for bailely's though, like the woodsman pro and the closeout bar selection. Seems like the sponsors here are pretty trustworthy folks. Like having a local dealer for parts, oil, glasses,etc.

NYH1 said:
zzrcanuck, as far as I know the MS290 and 029 are pretty much the same saws. If there are differences I don't know what they are. Someone else will have to help use out on this!

What bar and chain do you run on you 357XP? Thanks again! :rockn:

I run a 20" bar and the chain? I don't know.It's still the original and I don't know anything about the different chain types,I always just ask for "a chain"
and take whatever they have. One of the reasons I'm glad I found this site.I'd like to become a little less ignorant of such things.

Latest posts

Back