Dealer says 441 M-Tronics are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm beginning to question the 441 though. I set it on my bench earlier this week, and it's now in a million pieces:) I'll probably be pulling the cylinder tomorrow.

IMG7855-M.jpg

Man. I knew it was complicated, but a week to get the jug off?

Geeze Louise....

I'm beginning to question the 441 though. I set it on my bench earlier this week, and it's now in a million pieces:) I'll probably be pulling the cylinder tomorrow.

IMG7855-M.jpg

The carb box looks messy to me, the 576 looks much cleaner IMHO. you can see it in the beginning of this video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C5eJPv-aMlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, I went to my local Stihl Dealer the other day looking for an 044 ignition module (no dice on a used one), and got to talking with the head tech.

I told him I had seen a video (from a member here) of a ported 441 M-Tronic that was pretty mean. He told me that they were junk, and every one they sent out the door had problems and was returned.

His words were, "All the loggers hate them, and they've been nothing but trouble." He said they would rev up and down uncontrollably, and not consistently, just here and there. He also said they were having other issues, like not wanting to start.

He did say he couldn't speak for a ported one, but the stock ones were a headache for the dealer, and a bunch were sent back to their distributer, and they were given credit.

The tech said he wondered why Stihl messed with a good thing (660's, 440's, 460's, etc), and he figured it was the EPA with their dirty hands in it all -- forcing unneeded change.

I was thinking about picking up a 441 M-Tronic eventually, but now I'm no too sure. :(

Rain, fuel quality and air filter clogging all probably made worse at elev... Sucks the power, makes them dodgey. It will take a while before some folks can get used to running them, even money that half the "problems" do not show themselves at the dealership. Decent saws that the need much more pampering than the old ones did.

If you can maintain a chain and the saw then pick one up.

I have found a mager problem with the 441C M-Tronic when one of ya mates run it for the first time the problem is getting it back of them.
With the continues tuning in the cut in this vid you can see and hear it doing this when i use the dogs.

[video=youtube;NvVhUR9b-Vc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVhUR9b-Vc[/video]

We have had this discussion here before, when the first MS441 saws were introduced. It is plain to see we have two schools of thought on this thread, new technology guys, like myself. And the old school "flat earth society" types. I traded my standard 441 I bought in 2006, two weeks ago for a MS441 R C-M. All I can say from my personal experience with the saw is wow! It starts really well, not cold natured and is a very strong saw in the cut. I never experienced the "hunting" of the carb, it seems to do it in a seemless manner. I love old iron also, I have a 056 Mag II and a Homelite C51, but you can see after running these how technology has changed chainsaws in a relatively short time. Much has been made about the complexity of the M tronic system. From watching the German animation on You Tube of the M Tronic it appears there are only 2 or 3 components and there is a diagnostic port for the technician to use. Seems like you plug in and it should indicate the failed component and you change it out. So you can still work on your own saw if you want. I suspect the technican's comments at the dealer were made because he was scared of this system and didn't understand it or want to embrace it. Have fun with whatever you buy, it's all good.
Steve

Like most dealers, even the good ones are still worse than used car salesman, he's full of ####. Likely a bigger price margin with the older saws. Pure ignorance for the most part, people like that always have someone to blame for their own incompetents, must be Obama's fault too. :laugh:

Actually is the liberals fault if you think about it ,EPA!

Back