Disappearing a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got out to the new site to cut some locust.

This is the site. I suggested to the farmer that he could eliminate a bad corner if I cut the locusts on that point. Answer "cut anything you want in there". That sidehill is steep! I can only get the PU (F150) up to near the top of the brush pile what with the steepness and green, juicy grass.
001-6.jpg

The tree - I had already removed one small co-dominant stem. I was trying to fall the big one to the right and a bit toward the camera. Got to tied up fighting my way aroudn the stub of that small stem (no longer there) and managed to fall it right into the brush instead of on the edge of the patch

002-6.jpg

Got too tied up fighting my way aroundthe stub of that small stem (no longer there) and managed to fall it right into the brush instead of on the edge of the patch

003-4.jpg

Trimmed up. Fighting that brush is a baitch. Can't walk through it, have to cut my way in.

005-1.jpg

First section of about 15 ft cut up and out with the cables, snatch blocks, chains. Got to pull that thang out of the brush and up to the stump.

004-1.jpg

Now to 'yard' with an F150. The closest I could get with the PU was about 20 ft away to the right on the edge of the brush.
From the PU location:

005-2.jpg

Up to the stump ready for more cutting:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/006-3.jpg

And the final turn hooked up, camera battery died at that point.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/009-1.jpg

The load of wood back at the house. I had already hauled some on Tues but got rained out that day.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/010.jpg

It has been at least 15 years since I cut any locust other than the odd limb or small tree. Nice to be cutting some real firewood instead of Willow for a change. I had also forgotten how easy that stuff splits. I am over halfway done handsplitting and only have IINM 3 rounds set aside to run through the splitter.

Harry K

Nice pics!!

Probably don't have much out there as hard as black locust huh? I love to split that stuff too. Man does it smell pretty bad sometimes though.

What variety is that? The wood looks similar to black locust.

What variety is that? The wood looks similar to black locust.

The tree looks like Black Locust, cuts like it, wood looks like it, has the thorns and leaves but it isn't as heavy as my memory says it should be, for example, I put that big round on the PU on there but thought "I should have split that" half way through the lift.

Harry K

Harry, I'm glad that you have the opportunity to get some hardwood other than Willow. How do you like that Locust? It's a real "chain duller" but well worth it in heating value. Nice work...

Haven't burned any in years. Every stick I get goes on my 'use only when I get too decrepit' pile. Black Locust just doesn't rot.

Harry K

Nice pics!!

Probably don't have much out there as hard as black locust huh? I love to split that stuff too. Man does it smell pretty bad sometimes though.

Nope. the only real hardwoods (oaks, etc.) out in this country are those that were planted by settlers and townies. Quite a bit of locust around but there is a guy here who is 'well connected' who manages to lock up anything available.

Harry K

You say it has thorns right ? Wouldn't that be a Honey Locust ? I believe the Honey's have thorns (that pucture any nearby tires) and the Black's do not.

You say it has thorns right ? Wouldn't that be a Honey Locust ? I believe the Honey's have thorns (that pucture any nearby tires) and the Black's do not.

Some black locust have thorns.

That bark is definitely black locust.

The blacks around here have them, they are small and mostly on the small green wood. They do go right through gloves though if you are careless where you grab a chunk of brush. Honey locust? Those things aren't 'thorns' they are 'sabers' :)

Harry K

Latest posts

Back