Do you have tree-itis?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised that OPs post is considered a malady or some sort of disease -- "Tree-itis". All trees need to be analyzed prior to a drop or whether they should be dropped at all. Maybe we should all "suffer" from it.

I believe he is referring to random trees, even those that he would not have access to, at least that is what I'm referring to.

I do drive down the road looking at trees wondering which way i would fell them or if they needed to be limbed out first. Will that one hit the house or how would I do that one. Usually I look at the ones laying down wishing I could cut them up. My wife yells at me all the time because I'm looking at people's yards and not paying attention to driving.

I do drive down the road looking at trees wondering which way i would fell them or if they needed to be limbed out first. Will that one hit the house or how would I do that one. Usually I look at the ones laying down wishing I could cut them up. My wife yells at me all the time because I'm looking at people's yards and not paying attention to driving.
What do you do when you drive by and see at least 50 not-too-big trees in a woods cut down near a road, lying there for as month or so, limbs all attached? Things like this always amaze me.

Yeah, I'd say I'm guilty. Just today, driving through the small town I bank at I was looking at all the ash trees again, which make up 75-80% of the trees in that town. I imagine most of them will be dead within 5 years, makes me wonder if starting to offer tree services while renting a towable lift is worth it or not.

What do you do when you drive by and see at least 50 not-too-big trees in a woods cut down near a road, lying there for as month or so, limbs all attached? Things like this always amaze me.

There's a couple woods spots on my road that have trees cut down that have been there for a few years. Idk if the town cut them or what. Y take them down if they don't want them. In the suburbs those would be free for the taking but out here in the country you might get shot.

There's a couple woods spots on my road that have trees cut down that have been there for a few years. I dk if the town cut them or what. Y take them down if they don't want them. In the suburbs those would be free for the taking but out here in the country you might get shot.
Exactly. Some say the trunks supposedly dry faster with the branches still on them. That could be true if they had leaves, but these do not and obviously yours in NY do not. Also, there is no evidence that these will be used for firewood by anyone. I have to wonder if it might be a firewood bear trap.

Exactly. Some say the trunks supposedly dry faster with the branches still on them. That could be true if they had leaves, but these do not and obviously yours in NY do not. Also, there is no evidence that these will be used for firewood by anyone. I have to wonder if it might be a firewood bear trap.

The no trespassing signs are to let me know someone might be watching. I left a pile of logs out by the road this winter. I cut them and waited until the snow went away to cut them up and no one took them. I didn't leave the cut pile of wood out there though. That might be real tempting for someone to load up quicky and drive away.

After the big freeze of 1994, I saw a lot of nice trees and large limbs on the side of the road in Mississippi. There were warning signs prohibiting the harvesting of wood from the side of the road, yet the state paid some Alabama company to come in and remove the wood. I figure the wood would have been gone in a week if the signs said free wood.

I always grab free wood in the suburbs and if I don't then our tax dollars pay those town or city workers to pick it up and turn it into wood chips. But around here there's dead trees laying on the sides of the road and they sit there. But it's private land so it's stealing I guess Idk.

You are not allowed to remove any standing timber from state land around here either. The dec will arrest you. I don't think you are supposed to take anything dead either. You can't take an atv into the woods and a chainsaw would be a red flag.

19a0465247a407e22bb63b27e5dae774.jpg

Back