Does Anyone Own a SOLO chainsaw or Have Opinions on Them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the opportunity to run a solo once, was a friends dads saw. Coulnt tell you the number on it I think it was in the 50 to 60cc range. We were clearing out a tree line in one of their fields. I was running my 390xp and he had his dads solo. We decided to swap saws for a while. He started felling and I started limbing the trees up. I was rather surprised how well it felt in hand. I would have compared the power to a bit better then a 357xp, not close to the 390xp, but still strong and light. I was rather impressed by it. It was quite an old saw as well. I dont know where they got it, and I've never seen a dealer around for solo.

Solo...or, a company named Solo is still selling concrete saws and i can only advise against them. They are good looking and do run well if you can get them to start...the customer service is a joke...no help at all from them and they list shops on their site as dealers who have never heard of them.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
they are very capable units , diy service program !

I have a 667SP that needs a P+C and a Muffler, its been sitting in the shed for a while now waiting for refurbishment.
Well built saws from what I can see.

Solo...or, a company named Solo is still selling concrete saws and i can only advise against them. They are good looking and do run well if you can get them to start...the customer service is a joke...no help at all from them and they list shops on their site as dealers who have never heard of them.

I bought a Solo 880-14 concrete saw last summer through amazon. Couldn't get it started until I figured out the fuel pick up wasn't dropping to the bottom of the tank and I had only filled it half full. Once I figured that out it starts fine and has been fine since then. The price was right and I got my concrete work done.

I bought a Solo 880-14 concrete saw last summer through amazon. Couldn't get it started until I figured out the fuel pick up wasn't dropping to the bottom of the tank and I had only filled it half full. Once I figured that out it starts fine and has been fine since then. The price was right and I got my concrete work done.
This one was bought and delivered...filled up and used about 30 minutes. Then refused to start. He brings it to me...compression is great, good spark. Choke is automatic. I pulled and pulled...it would sputter every so often. He called the company...they said turn the idle in until it bottoms and then try. Did that with no change. They sent a return slip and next day expressed it...theyve had it 2 weeks and still no word. I think he's going to dispute the charges and buy a husqvarna or something. Dealing with Solo isnt worth it.

Yeah well to show you how smart I am while my first 680 was in the shop getting rebuilt I bought another. It dusted the piston and blew pieces out the exhaust port. I gave the rebuild to my kid to cut firewood.

I had some memorable experience with a Solo about 50 years ago.......
My dad gave me a Solo Rex to cut firewood, as I had moved into a house with a fireplace. He got the saw new in about 1962, along with a new Stihl! The Solo didn't get used much....
so it was still in pretty good shape when I got it. It cut a lot of wood for a couple years - but you had to be pretty motivated just to get it started - cranking a temperamental 125cc saw is something you will remember! I was bucking up a 3' fir when a piston ring broke - ruining the piston and the cylinder. I've been running Stihl saws ever since!

I have had a Solo 636 for about 10 - 15 years. Bought it 2nd hand for AU$90. Love it. Lotsa grunt and really hammers. I go away for 3 or 6 months at a time and it will start up on the 3rd pull. I sold my stihls, huskys and macs and kept this. Still running like new. Looking to upgrade to more cc and will only get another Solo. Not sure who they were manufactured by before but i see they now come out of AL-Ko industries. I wonder if still German and if still so good?
Sigh. Only get another Solo? Just bought a Shindaiwa 488 sight unseen. Has a missing spring and spacer on the chain brake.Looks good in pics so we'll see. Will still pic up a good solo if i see one. Talking of which i see a 672 in good nic....should i or shan't i?

My experience has been solo 647 and 654's. They are homelite 290 and 340's. As a rental mechanic back in the late 80's, homelite 340s were the thing. They ran well for a long time, but the ignitions seemed to be the weakest part. Ignition died long before the saw was worn out. Now I buy all of these saws I find on eBay, currently have 18. In various states of health. Have not worked on any of them due to time constraints, except to pull the cord and check compression. I think they are great medium duty saws for the casual user.

My Stihl dealer went out of business last Thursday, the Solo dealer is still going.

And thats supposed to mean what? For every solo dealer there are 500 stihl dealers.
It means Stihl is running their independent dealers out of business fast. They are in bed with John Deere and the box stores. Solo is still supporting their local dealers. I was at the auction last week when after 48 years the Stihl dealer closed down. While there the brother of the owner of the Solo dealership was there. As we talked I said "please do not tell me you are next" he said "we are hanging on but it is tough".

It means Stihl is running their independent dealers out of business fast. They are in bed with John Deere and the box stores. Solo is still supporting their local dealers. I was at the auction last week when after 48 years the Stihl dealer closed down. While there the brother of the owner of the Solo dealership was there. As we talked I said "please do not tell me you are next" he said "we are hanging on but it is tough".
Hopefully they hang in there, I have my doubts. Haven't had a solo dealer around here in many years.

Hopefully they hang in there, I have my doubts. Haven't had a solo dealer around here in many years.
He will be there as long as he is physically able to do it, pay his light bill, the property taxes and keep the roof patched. He as well as the Stihl dealer have been lifelong friends of my deceased father, myself and now my sons. We talked at length last week at the auction and I have a lot to say about the current situation but I do not want to derail this thread.

Latest posts

Back