Does Anyone Own a SOLO chainsaw or Have Opinions on Them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have loved Solo saws since my first one. I have a bunch now. The company is still in business making Solo sprayers and agricultural pumps and stuffs.
I understand they have divested from the chainsaws, so I take that to mean parts are NLA???

I understand they have divested from the chainsaws, so I take that to mean parts are NLA???
As with any chainsaw that is 25 years old, some parts are available and others are not. The newest ones have been around for 10 years, although now, when Alko is the owner, chainsaws with the Solo by Alko inscription are made

I rolled the dice and sprung for one of those "refurbished" SOLO 690 (90cc) chainsaws for milling purposes (lots of big red pine).

While I'm waiting for the unit I'd appreciate hearing any experiences, second-hand stories, rumors, or opinions on this brand of saw. Need not be the big 690 model, but any of them and how they shape up compared to Stihl and Husky.

I already know that this is a discontinued model, and that there aren't many SOLO dealers around, but since I usually shun dealers anyway and do my own work, I accepted that potential headache.

When I get the unit running and test it on a big jackpine log, I will post a full account of my own findings. Being a "thrifty" person and in need of a BIG saw to mill with, I couldn't pass up this "refurbed" (actually demo/used) 90cc German-made red and black bargain for $449.

It would be interesting to hear what you other guys know or think, or think you know....
I ran a 681 Solo which I got from Baileys several years ago, I was reasonably impressed with it, well engineered & plenty of power, I sometimes ran a 44" GB roller nose bar with 3/8 skip chain, no problems cutting seasoned yellow box.

Attachments

• DSCN3718.JPG
    DSCN3718.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I ran a 681 Solo which I got from Baileys several years ago, I was reasonably impressed with it, well engineered & plenty of power, I sometimes ran a 44" GB roller nose bar with 3/8 skip chain, no problems cutting seasoned yellow box.
Many people believe that this is the best model from this company

They are a tough bid to locate. There are many Rex's but few Supers. Somewhat like the Contra S

I have a 680 that is very well built and has tons of torque. Bought it used and have owned it about 12 years. Cuts big stuff very well, but don't use it often as I rarely cut wood that big. Also have a 667 I bought disassembled and never got around to fixing. They are well made saws.

Let us know how you like it. I have a running 680, a 667 that I think is complete, but is disassembled and a Homelite version of the 654. I even have a green craftsman that I believe it some sort of Solo around 50cc.
Their USA importer used to be very near me in Newport News, VA, but when I tried to contact them a few years ago they said the chainsaw branch of their business was defunct.

Let us know how you like it. I have a running 680, a 667 that I think is complete, but is disassembled and a Homelite version of the 654. I even have a green craftsman that I believe it some sort of Solo around 50cc.
Their USA importer used to be very near me in Newport News, VA, but when I tried to contact them a few years ago they said the chainsaw branch of their business was defunct.
show us this little solo 😎

Hello dboyd351 , I think your dark green craftsman solo saw (51cc) has a magnesium crankcase like the solo 651 with 3.6 hp .

Back