Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate tree gypsies. That is where the word gyp came from. I bet you are a piece of work.

Your opinion means about as much to me as a mote of dust floating through the air.

Could care less of what you think of me. For the record, I have been in business 15 years on my own, am a member of the BBB and a well established tree service in my community. Some of the founders of this site have contracted with me. I am honorable and ethical, my word is gold in my town.

I come from hardscrabble people. My grandfather was a coal miner, my dad is a veteran who came home from the war and went to work for AT&T. He climbed microwave antennas to put food on our table when he started out even though he is afraid of heights. He was promoted to sales and when they deregulated the phone companies he camped out at the lobby of MCI on their first day in operation to sell the service of his company to people in the street on their own door step. That is where I learned the term "guerrilla marketing" I'm a fierce competitor and you better hope I never come to your town. There are plenty who would like to have me on thier payroll.

Last edited:
Chipperscompany,

Believe me tree service is a competitive business and you will get plently of nay sayers when asking about advice on going it on your own. Remember that most professional tree services would rather not see competition, To tell the truth, I think twice before offering advice on these forums. Let's face it, what is the sense in giving the competition your hard earned knowledge and experience when they are competing against you. I can't help but offer advice from the experiences I have had on my road. I guess I should keep my mouth shut a lot of the times but when someone is struggling in areas that I have already been through it is just my nature to want to help. I never wanted anything but to be a good climber and have my own tree service. I have sacraficed and worked to make it happen. When I see others trying to do the same it makes me want to help them. After all, I doubt very seriously you could or will be competing with me.

Here's my advice:

First of all, know what you are doing. Learn from a pro and don't speak or offer advice on what you don't know. people can smell a fake. If you have learned the climbing and tree care aspect then and only then it is time to take it to the next level. I spent years working with professionals learning how to do the work. There is no way to fake knowing how to do it (just look at Nosak). Second, be honest. Know your limitations and tell people up front what you are capable of. Be honest if your not a certified arborist, know how to brace and cable or have insurance or workman's comp. Just be honest with people about you capabilities. Don't overprice or gouge. Figure out what it takes for you to operate and how much you expect to make and stick to that. Figure out how much it costs you to operate and how much you expect to make and figure your rate. Don't deviate. If you are in it for the long haul your name means everything. Always stand by your word.

As far as soliciting, I would advise you to always look the customer in the eye. Shake their hand and be open and honest with them. Tell them you are a small business and can't afford to advertise yet. Tell them what seperates you from the other tree services. Give them references. Build good customer relationships. This is what will ultimately make or break you. If you know what you are doing and provide quality service you stand a good chance of making it. If you don't know squat and are just trying to hustle people for short time money you won't last. You can't fake what you don't know for very long and get away with it.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Your opinion means about as much to me as a mote of dust floating through the air.

Could care less of what you think of me. For the record, I have been in business 15 years on my own, am a member of the BBB and a well established tree service in my community. Some of the founders of this site have contracted with me. I am honorable and ethical, my word is gold in my town.

I come from hardscrabble people. My grandfather was a coal miner, my dad is a veteran who came home from the war and went to work for AT&T. He climbed microwave antennas to put food on our table when he started out even though he is afraid of heights. He was promoted to sales and when they deregulated the phone companies he camped out at the lobby of MCI on their first day in operation to sell the service of his company to people in the street on their own door step. That is where I learned the term "guerrilla marketing" I'm a fierce competitor and you better hope I never come to your town. There are plenty who would like to have me on thier payroll.

I always wondered what that was called. Guerrilla marketing. Don't get all stirred up. I had just lost a good job to some door knockers and was in a bad mood. I am sorry I said that you were a piece of work.

I 100% agree with Tree MD. While there are indeed hacks out there going door to door looking for a quick buck and lowballing. I have no shame in knocking on a door offering my services with the intention of creating a lasting relationship with the customer. I won't let what the hacks and low ballers do affect my business.

Being in a small town with not many knowledgeable tree folks around I have found that LOTS of people have no clue about what services they might need. I have gained many clients by knocking on their doors and I cross paths with these people around town every day. If I were to gouge, do poor work etc. I'd have a hard time hiding from people. I am proud of the services I offer and think that people on here generalizing that all door knockers are scum need to give their head a shake. If you open your doors to business and are lucky enough to have more than enough to not have to fight for more work, good on you. I advertise a lot, and I also knock on doors when I'm in a neighborhood...they both work. Being in a small market it is tough and I have no shame in getting work and lasting customers however you can.

Another thing I do is talk to people everywhere I go and work that I own a tree service into the conversation. I have developed many leads and got many a job by just chatting friendly with folks around town. I just did one this morning for a guy I met who manages the auto parts store in town. I was just chatting with him, let him know that I own a tree service and he gave me his address and told me to come by, that he had some trees for me to work on. Nothing major, two 80 or better year old Cedars with some storm damage from last year and cleared a few limbs from over his service drop for $250. Took me two hours this morning. I did it by myself. Not a huge payday but I'll give up 2 hours on a Saturday for $250 anytime. Wish I had one of those to do everyday. All from just being friendly and chatting it up with a guy in town. Another form of "guerrilla marketing"; Getting in there amongst the people...

Another thing I do is talk to people everywhere I go and work that I own a tree service into the conversation. I have developed many leads and got many a job by just chatting friendly with folks around town. I just did one this morning for a guy I met who manages the auto parts store in town. I was just chatting with him, let him know that I own a tree service and he gave me his address and told me to come by, that he had some trees for me to work on. Nothing major, two 80 or better year old Cedars with some storm damage from last year and cleared a few limbs from over his service drop for $250. Took me two hours this morning. I did it by myself. Not a huge payday but I'll give up 2 hours on a Saturday for $250 anytime. Wish I had one of those to do everyday. All from just being friendly and chatting it up with a guy in town. Another form of "guerrilla marketing"; Getting in there amongst the people...
i like what you have to say and respect your thoughts and given the horrible economy recently i find myself content with work that when i was busy might have passed up. i am really thankful now to be able to afford my bills. i also find myself networking with other companies, often they have something i need and likewise i offer something that they need. many times recently i have traded my time for theres wow what a chance to learn new things and it costs nothing.

I don't knock on a door, but I will leave a card if I see a tree blown over up against the shed and laying on the fence like I did today.

While Im on my way to the estimate im driving slowly looking for any other potential work I can line up on the same street. I am working 3 houses in a row tomorrow that all have storm damage. If the card I left calls I'll have a 4th. I don't look desperate but ill be damn if I dont hustle to get work.

:clap:for the 60mph gusts we had Thursday night!
what part of jersey sir were near:greenchainsaw: philly no storm calls yet

If I were going door to door I would say something like "hi I am a hak with no work and nothin beter to do then pester ya and i wana no if ya needs some tree work cuse i need cash"

But we do not do d to d
your equipment list is impressive grasshopper , but if you've knocked on one door than you are indeed a door knocker:chainsaw:

Chipperscompany,

Believe me tree service is a competitive business and you will get plently of nay sayers when asking about advice on going it on your own. Remember that most professional tree services would rather not see competition, To tell the truth, I think twice before offering advice on these forums. Let's face it, what is the sense in giving the competition your hard earned knowledge and experience when they are competing against you. I can't help but offer advice from the experiences I have had on my road. I guess I should keep my mouth shut a lot of the times but when someone is struggling in areas that I have already been through it is just my nature to want to help. I never wanted anything but to be a good climber and have my own tree service. I have sacraficed and worked to make it happen. When I see others trying to do the same it makes me want to help them. After all, I doubt very seriously you could or will be competing with me.

Here's my advice:

First of all, know what you are doing. Learn from a pro and don't speak or offer advice on what you don't know. people can smell a fake. If you have learned the climbing and tree care aspect then and only then it is time to take it to the next level. I spent years working with professionals learning how to do the work. There is no way to fake knowing how to do it (just look at Nosak). Second, be honest. Know your limitations and tell people up front what you are capable of. Be honest if your not a certified arborist, know how to brace and cable or have insurance or workman's comp. Just be honest with people about you capabilities. Don't overprice or gouge. Figure out what it takes for you to operate and how much you expect to make and stick to that. Figure out how much it costs you to operate and how much you expect to make and figure your rate. Don't deviate. If you are in it for the long haul your name means everything. Always stand by your word.

As far as soliciting, I would advise you to always look the customer in the eye. Shake their hand and be open and honest with them. Tell them you are a small business and can't afford to advertise yet. Tell them what seperates you from the other tree services. Give them references. Build good customer relationships. This is what will ultimately make or break you. If you know what you are doing and provide quality service you stand a good chance of making it. If you don't know squat and are just trying to hustle people for short time money you won't last. You can't fake what you don't know for very long and get away with it.

Best of luck to you.

Sir, this makes sense completely. I appreciate your support and your kindness.

Difference between me and you is you have been in business for over 20 years, were as we have been in business for a few years. Therefore, you most likely have repeated customers calling or being refered to you keeping you busy. Don't get me wrong we are very loyal to our customers and always we leave a great job, but we are not quite there yet and could use some extra leads.

ever thought of your local paper in the classifieds also your local craigslist ads work also that is how i sold a local guy a ayp belt for his mower for 11.00 when it costs over 30 elsewhere i put the ad on craigslist and bang i get a email from someone needing a belt

so its free dont cost no gas and it goes to many people that use craigslist

not to mention the paper has a jobs wanted section in the classifieds i myself am thinking of doing this to draw in customers needing repair work on the mowers and chainsaws

hope this helps
calvin

Everyone should make it a practise to hand out two cards to every cusomer after the job is done. It costs you $.20 maximum. If you only hand out one card you are much less likely to get a referral as the person you did the job for will likely keep the card nearby in case they need you again. If you hand out two then they can easily hand it on to a friend for a referral and the friend will have it on hand to make it easy to contact you when the time comes. Don'thand out more than two as the customer is then subconsciously put under pressure and you may end up with them sitting in his or her desk. The whole idea is to create some scarcity in the mind of the customer and have them feel that they are doing their friend a favour by referring you to them. Think of your customers as part of your marketing effort. Do a good job for them and they will be far more efficient than anything you do. Good luck, and l'd love to hear how it goes for you! ( I don't have to do this anymore so I can let you in on it. :D)

Fliers and doorhangers do much better then door knocking. I've had clients get work from fliers that were put out 2 years prior. Some people just keep them on file.

The best are ones that tell the recipient that you were working in the area. Most can tell where you were, and can ask the neighbor how you did.

Per %/unit is low, but the %/$ is very high. Often the first job on a printing run can pay for them all.

When I first started I used to do the door to door thing. Then after a year or so when I got busy I started thinking that it was un proffesional. But I havent got a call in about four days> I think I might go back to passing out fliers too.

I mail out brochures and fliers, (great return). Have a small yellow page ad, and put ads in the local paper. I don't know of any succesful business that doesn't advertise. If I'm out doing estimates, I'll troll the neigborhood so neigbors can see my truck signs. I've never knocked on a door, but don't see anything wrong with it, (the returns may be better than fliers in the mail). jm2c

I have a confession to make.
I still go out and look for work sometimes. I really don't knock on doors anymore though. I look for people looking up at their trees, raking leaves, etc.

Nother one I do is look for garage sales.
I go up look around for a minute pick up a splitting maul for 2 bucks, then asks loudly if they needed any tree work done of any kind. You'll find them usually in a good mood, with a pocket full of cash. Or maybe someone else shopping will speak up and ask for a card for their trees.

It may seem desperate to hustle work but I still don't spit out stupid figures.

I know it's funny, but it's also disgusting, rude, and down right mean to critique a working man who is trying hard to make it. You should be ashamed of yourself for making fun of someone who could very well have little, nothing to loose, and would probably kill you for your last piece of bread. I have been there, and it sucks.

No one wants to go door to door. It's not easy, and it's not the proudest of things to do either. But hey, this guy wants to work and is willing to do so. It's sad you can't recognize that, but instead pick him apart for wanting to succeed.

You said it just as i feel. you guys who knock on those who try their ass off really piss me off.

Difference between me and you is you have been in business for over 20 years, were as we have been in business for a few years. Therefore, you most likely have repeated customers calling or being refered to you keeping you busy. Don't get me wrong we are very loyal to our customers and always we leave a great job, but we are not quite there yet and could use some extra leads.

hey dont let those guys scare you moast likely they are so ugly they cant knok on doors because the cops will be called or they dont know how to talk to people (just trees) i have been verry sucsesfull door to door we still get calls but i also go door to door in a mile or so radius of whare we are do ing the mast work it is verry productive i dont know of anyone who has to much money and more work is more money ahh well everyone braggs that they are tow weeks out well let me tell you something if you cant do a job for two weeks you will probly lose atleast half or better you have and ad in the yelow pages or pay for advertizing right well i dont want my advertizing money laying on the coffe table or in the crapper i would rather pay a good sales guy 10% plus fule and a phone uniform compony car give him 5 or 6 leads a day and have him knoking on doors till his knckles blead i promise you it pays off

Back