Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unheard of is the neighbors of the client walk over and ask for something... but maybe its best just to leave a note?

Something I like about pamphlets, you can have your boilerplate marketing, and a place to add a personal note.

Though you are right, having the neighbors come over is the best way to get work. Quite often I have worked my way down a block with this. Sometimes if I want to get my foot in a subdivision i make a point of showing up on a weekend.

Sir, this makes sense completely. I appreciate your support and your kindness.

I may be new but I have to comment on this thread. First off, much thanks to "tree md" for your well spoken words. They were an inspiration to me as well. Also I believe this was a great thread started by chipperscompany! Me & my dad have a small tree service business in Southeastern, IN and no, were are not certified arborist as of yet and we dont have 20 years in the business either but we do have experience in this trade and we are also honest, straight forward, hardworking individuals. Our area has suffered tremendously from the economic downturn and as a result our business is slow so ya, we have been doing the door knocking thing and it has been quite interesting for us.

We have tried this with stump grinding and you would be surprised how many people are either unaware or oblivious to this service or think it just cost way to much to consider. We have been able to land ALOT of business from people thru this method. And I guess first & foremost we are in the SERVICE business and that means taking care of customers and sometimes going the extra mile to make sure they are satisfied and got a fair deal. We have gotten many, many quality references from satisfied customers that have led to bigger and better paying jobs that we would not have gotten if we were not "Seeing the people". That means a firm handshake and introduction and offering our service if folks are concerned about dead trees or sick and tired of mowing around stumps. These people would have never called a Yellow Page ad or were not even aware that they could have a potential real problem due to dead trees or etc. We have even had customers that we took a couple payments on so that they were able to have trees removed or stumps ground. Hardly any company would do such a thing but we have and use good judgement when allowing such but have many happy customers.

You must KNOW your limits and be fair but also firm in your pricing and we do FIRST CLASS work and try our very best to take care of people. Of course there are customers that are a pain but we use the first face to face intro and conversation to get to know who we are talking to and what their expectations are. This will lessen the bull that you may potentially have to deal with.

Obviously many of you on here do not agree with this approach and that is fine. If you are overloaded with work or either sitting on your ass waiting on your phone to ring then good for you! Whatever works for you and your business is fine. DONT criticize others for showing enough initiative to get up and get out there and "see the people" and try to build their business. I have nothing but respect for someone doing what they must to establish themselves and support your families. That is what we are doing and we intend on having our business get stronger & stronger and be built around strong work ethics, integrity and a desire to succeed!

Good Luck in your business!!

I think ekka should have just titled the thread " Beware of doorknocking scam artists" and left it at that. It all must be taken in context and there is something to be said about a proper appraoch which was mentioned by some of the better businessmen here thank you.
Now did anybody see that poor girl trying to keep right side up in those shoes? That was dam funny. Poor thing, she has no idea.

We have the same problem here in the states in our area that everyone saw on the video. Plenty of scam artist price gouging customers and doing the work although they are not qualified. What kind of idiot tries grabbing a falling branch! That is scary!

We have run into people who have been taken by scammers that talked the customers into paying up front for what they wanted done then ripping them off. Crazy! Last week we were on a job and noticed a fair sized tree cut down and laying in the front yard of a nicer home. We could not help but wonder why it was just cut down and laying there so after we finished the job we were on we walked down to the house, knocked on the door and an older lady answered. We introduced ourselves and stated what we do and ask if she wanted the large tree removed from her front yard. She immediately turned defensive and stated that she had a so called tree company stop and offer to cut down the tree and saw it up, chip the brush and grind out the stump. She wanted it out so she hired them and they somehow talked her into paying upfront. So once they had their money they pulled out their saws fell the tree and then proceeded to put up their saws and leave. The lady ask "where are you going" and they stated they would return shortly with more equipment and finish the job. Well, they left and she never saw or heard from them again! This lady was really upset and had every reason to be!

Long story short, we talked to the lady for quite awhile, apologizing over & over for their actions and offering to help her. We quoted her a fair price to finish the job with removing what was left of the tree and grinding the stump. After negotiations we got the job and got on it and finished. After completion we approached her and ask if she was happy and she stated that she was very pleased and our price was reasonable and she thanked us for helping her get the job finished. She then said, well I also have 2 other stumps I would like to have removed in my back yard. She proceeded to show us, we bid and she accepted and we ground them out for her.

So what was a bad situation to start with had a good outcome and we got more business from her than what we originally planned. We were happy and so was she. Unfortunately we have seen this scam over & over and some people did not even want to speak to us when we said "Tree Service" and we understood why they felt that way and in that situation we apologize for the way they were treated and leave our information and say if in the future we can help just contact us.

It is shameful that these scammers are out there trashing things for those of us that are legitimate business people and do exactly what we say we are going to. I feel for their victims and it sure makes things harder on those of us that have only honorable intentions. Hopefully some of these scammers can be apprehended and these bad practices eliminated!

I didn't start this thread, it's some-one elses. :)

I guess I was thinking of the movie you posted about the boys in the green trucks and the reporter with the big dumper running round on high heals after them.
Its true a loose crew is bad news and will do the unbelievable. We just drove by an senior citizens house who had a broken limb on the wires. we knocked. Her phone was out so we gave her a phone to call her kids and told her we would do the limb for 100 bucks. We also ended up climbing a diferent tree to get a another hanger after the fact just because. I would have spliced the phone but it spanned the street.

I still use what we call the magic five drop. Do a job at say, number 6 in a street and drop flyers in numbers 4,8 and across the street at 3,5, and 7. It is amazing how many times you will get a call from people who weren't there when you worked but saw the site afterwards. I find many of them speak to my original client so it is another reason to make sure the client is ALWAYS happy with the job. This will sound trite but it is worth saying to every client "are you happy with the job"? It is good when they say yes and even better when they say no because the ones who say no will then tell you what they don't like. Fix it and they will advertise your business like nothing else will.

:cheers:

I still use what we call the magic five drop. Do a job at say, number 6 in a street and drop flyers in numbers 4,8 and across the street at 3,5, and 7. It is amazing how many times you will get a call from people who weren't there when you worked but saw the site afterwards. I find many of them speak to my original client so it is another reason to make sure the client is ALWAYS happy with the job. This will sound trite but it is worth saying to every client "are you happy with the job"? It is good when they say yes and even better when they say no because the ones who say no will then tell you what they don't like. Fix it and they will advertise your business like nothing else will.

:cheers:

Great idea.Thanks for sharing. I can't tell you how many times my customers have asked to drop a card off for a neighbor. Good time saving idea.

If i see a house that is close by were i am working or were im going to be working soon that needs some tree work i will stop, if no one home i leave my card, i have did good with this, some times you need just one more job to make it worth going there.

Since word of mouth is the best advertising, you give some pamphlets to a good client. They pass the marketing material to neighbors with the understanding that you will do a little more for them when you do jobs for which they generated the lead.

Door Knocking... depends on the work you are doing and how you go about it.

My business is comprised of about 98% removals. The majority of them are dead. While in my travels if I see a dead tree on someone's property (one that would require technical removal), I have no problem dropping a card in their mail box or knocking on their door and saying if they are considering having the tree removed, that I would like to be considered in giving them a quote for the job. Most of the time they ask for an estimate right on the spot and I get quite a majority of the bids I submit.

Straight removal work is for the young. It is all bull work and you have to chase every job.

Maintenance and preservation work builds revolving accounts that help you spend more time on getting work done then finding it.

my simple math example will always hold true. A portfolio of 300 clients, that average $1000 per visit, on a 3 year cycle will generate $100,000 per annum in 100 days.

If we say that there are 200 days (4x50)per year of good work (do the math, I have only a couple days cushion) then we have 100 more days to fill out the annual budget.

That all makes sense JPS. Kinda scary to just have 100 useful days remaining. I know every year around this time if I see picts. of snow and ice I get a little anxious and even depressed.

If one is selling take downs every day they are in a much more competitive environment. I like to live in the upper tier of bids. Can't do that if mostly removals are bid.

If one is doing take downs every day then no matter what one says energy is waning as the week goes by and Monday comes all too fast. Maintenance work is not as physically demanding day to day and gives a more intellectual rep. that leads to more $ in the long run IMO.

I know it's funny, but it's also disgusting, rude, and down right mean to critique a working man who is trying hard to make it. You should be ashamed of yourself for making fun of someone who could very well have little, nothing to loose, and would probably kill you for your last piece of bread. I have been there, and it sucks.

No one wants to go door to door. It's not easy, and it's not the proudest of things to do either. But hey, this guy wants to work and is willing to do so. It's sad you can't recognize that, but instead pick him apart for wanting to succeed.

:agree2:

I do not have to door knock anymore and although it is still done.....it is illegal in my town and place of business.

But back when I first started with Bartlett back in the late 60's they had salesmen that went out all day knocking on doors and would try to make 50 or 60 contacts (not just sales calls but contacts with decision makers) in one day.

I took that attitude when I first started my business in 1971 and had dogs chase me, people swear at me, doors slammed in my face, etc. But work was sold, we worked and bills were paid. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with door knocking or door knockers back in the day (that day).

I actually went and did some door knocking today. I felt terrible about it. I had taken down a DEAD tulip for a lady on Thursday and left a lawn sign there until Saturday afternoon (today). When I drove by to pick it up in a plain car and clothes I stopped at the next door neighbor's house because I had noticed a big, DEAD oak tree in the yard. Pulled in the driveway, knocked on the door, and introduced myself... but I asked if she would like a price on the big dead oak tree in the back yard. Lady said that she didn't have the money for it, but I think part of it was that I was a door knocker. Oh well, went to some regular clients and got some good jobs out of them at least.

I actually went and did some door knocking today. I felt terrible about it. I had taken down a DEAD tulip for a lady on Thursday and left a lawn sign there until Saturday afternoon (today). When I drove by to pick it up in a plain car and clothes I stopped at the next door neighbor's house because I had noticed a big, DEAD oak tree in the yard. Pulled in the driveway, knocked on the door, and introduced myself... but I asked if she would like a price on the big dead oak tree in the back yard. Lady said that she didn't have the money for it, but I think part of it was that I was a door knocker. Oh well, went to some regular clients and got some good jobs out of them at least.

When you knock doors you put yourself in the old vacuum cleaner sales guy's class. I have worked tirelessly around here here to educate people about door knockers and it it has finally paid off.

Make sure you have good looking signs on your trucks. Start with what you can afford, and have it professionally done, or professional quality.

When you are working, you are advertising. If it is your running-errands-mobile you are advertising, if you are slow, park at an appropriate busy location, and read a book, do you marketing, brainstorming, etc, you are advertising.

I went too, too long without a professional sign because I thought it would be too costly. In the end, I got a lot of lettering on my dump truck, pickup truck, and a decent amount on my chipper. $1000 or so. I could have easily broken it down to start with the part of the pick-up for $200.

I ended up getting a $1000 removal and grind from the sign company.

Get a few shirts made in simple one color ink that say your name and phone number, maybe services offered, "Talk to me about your tree!".

Ask customers for referrals and a reference.

Write up a little script and practice for approaching people at their homes, and for calling past customers to say that you are working hard to build your business in this economy, and if anybody comes to mind that they know needs treework, you would gladly offer a fair bid and great service. Use friends and family to practice on.

Keep on working hard. On days without jobs, keep all your equipment maintained and ready to go if something pops up.

Back