Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight removal work is for the young. QUOTE]

I hear you JPS. :)

Good advice about building revolving clients. This is a part-time gig for me and I'm not interested in becoming a certified arborist (a little too late in life and I'm busy with other aspects). I inform my clients that I am not an arborist. Except for the odd small limb here and there, I only do removals which keeps me busy enough.

My thoughts on door knocking were towards dead trees and hazards (hangers, etc.).

I do not have to door knock anymore and although it is still done.....it is illegal in my town and place of business.

But back when I first started with Bartlett back in the late 60's they had salesmen that went out all day knocking on doors and would try to make 50 or 60 contacts (not just sales calls but contacts with decision makers) in one day.

I took that attitude when I first started my business in 1971 and had dogs chase me, people swear at me, doors slammed in my face, etc. But work was sold, we worked and bills were paid. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with door knocking or door knockers back in the day (that day).

That's pretty interesting I never heard about Bartlett doing that but it makes sense since it was almost a new thing to actually take care of your trees.
I don't see any problem with doing that now either but only if it's done professionally.

You can't look like drunken tree gypsies rolling slowly through the hoods in your beat up dually, uncle jeb or the wife driving because she's the only one without a current DWI and the doorknocking salesmen are wearing wife beaters, 1 tooth and stink. Like the guys that stopped at my house last night and I see everyday.

If done in decent dress and without your crew driving behind ready to pounce it would probably work very good. I've been tempted a couple times this year to start but thankfully we've been working steadily.

Take the time during your jobs in a neighborhood as a target-market. Ask your current HO if they can be contacted for a reference, and use it in your door to door.

Try not to sound like you are soliciting current work, rather just spreading your name, your work is your best resource, if HO-allowed pass out the street address of your current HO. Have all your current insurance, etc in hand.

For $10-15 apiece, you can get matching hi-vis shirts. Start with one apiece and wash it at night. A minor expense, and a good value for the impression that is given.

Best bit of marketing I did this year was creating a driving billboard out of one of our pickups. Clean and professional graphics go a long ways to drawing attention.....the wrap paid itself off in no time.

Best bit of marketing I did this year was creating a driving billboard out of one of our pickups. Clean and professional graphics go a long ways to drawing attention.....the wrap paid itself off in no time.

I like that. Looks good. Some folks around here have tried some do-it-yourself stuff like that and it didn't come out so good. One guy's truck reminds me of a giant milk of magnesia bottle.

Buy them at around a hundred a pop and get a scaled discount form the printer most printers.

Definitely buy personalized ones when you can afford and have a good deal available.

I suggested that generic safety shirts are better than nothing, and if one per person is all that you can afford, its a start for the small start-ups.

that looks really great! if u dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have ur truck done like that?

thanks!

After 23 years in business, I took my name out of the phone book completely. Only number I have is my cell phone. No name on my truck. 100% of my work is repeat and referrals. Currently booked to the end of the year, with only 6 open days for rain outs or if I need reschedule someone for an emergency job. 2010 and 2011 each has 22 weeks already booked for my scheduled maintenance contracts at the 4 hotels and 3 very high end residentials I do.

It took me 23 years to get to this point, currently in business for 25 years. I spend $0 on advertising.

Treat your customers right, return phone calls promptly, get them to like you as a person and you will have a loyal customer base. Whenever we do a fruit tree like mango or avocado and we have a lot of fruit, I make house calls on my customers sharing the fruit with them.

I would say for me, the first 10 years in business was a real struggle to get a regular customer base going.

When you knock doors you put yourself in the old vacuum cleaner sales guy's class. I have worked tirelessly around here here to educate people about door knockers and it it has finally paid off.

I have to disagree. I have family that started a business 4 yrs ago and only advertised by knocking and leaving flyers on the doors. After starting with a truck and a trailer he now has a forestry bucket, 2 chippers, chipper truck, skid-steer, etc... It is all paid for. So knocking when done properly is an effective way to gain sales.

Wow! Perhaps You Should Keep Your Judgements To Yourself!

"If I were going door to door I would say something like "hi I am a hak with no work and nothin beter to do then pester ya and i wana no if ya needs some tree work cuse i need cash"

But we do not do d to d"

My spouse and I have created a successful tree service in just under a year! We started out going door-to-door with professional marketing materials. We were well-received and gained respect with hard work. Word has spread throughout the county and while it is no longer necessary, we still explore new neighborhoods, door-to-door, every Sunday!

On the other hand, we know how to speak & write the English language. I wouldn't let an idiot like you anywhere near my home either!

You have a hard week and are sitting on the couch reading the paper and listening to the tv and enjoying relaxing.

The door bell rings.....ugggghhhh

You get up and put the paper down walk through the whole house and wonder....is it the religious guys, the political guys, or the tree guys?

Why don't they just play the game like everyone else. Not push their agenda on you in the privacy of your home with their perceived outlook on how it should really be.

Hey mister, your trees need a bag of this here mycorrhizzae. I am new in the biz and know all kinds of things that all the guys in the phone book have no idea about. For this week and this week only.....we have a special.....

My spouse and I have created a successful tree service in just under a year! We started out going door-to-door with professional marketing materials. We were well-received and gained respect with hard work. Word has spread throughout the county and while it is no longer necessary, we still explore new neighborhoods, door-to-door, every Sunday!

Well received huh? Well come try my street because these folks will turn the water hose on your ass. Come on a Sunday and you might get your ass kicked.

I have to disagree. I have family that started a business 4 yrs ago and only advertised by knocking and leaving flyers on the doors. After starting with a truck and a trailer he now has a forestry bucket, 2 chippers, chipper truck, skid-steer, etc... It is all paid for. So knocking when done properly is an effective way to gain sales.

Yeah, yeah. I saw that movie.

That is ugly. This is why those that care need to get on UFB boards and City Councils to legislate against this sort of thing.

Back