drying wood in your clothes dryer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your wood's too wet, just come put it in my basement. >20% humidity down there all winter will have it dry in no time. If it seems like too much work to haul it back up the stairs, just leave it and I'll take care of incinerating it for ya!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

i was told you can dry your firewood in a clothes dryer
i was told its very noisy but it works like a klim

Run it through the washer first, medium setting, warm water. When you put it in the dryer use full heat and maximum drying time.

Take a video...preferably one with really good sound. Let us know how it works out. We're all very interested in this.

And...what the #### is a klim?

yeah... i'm going with someone fed you a line of crap and you're wanting us to believe it! :) if not, well... yeah... the short bus comes by at 7:30 am. lol

Run it through the washer first, medium setting, warm water. When you put it in the dryer use full heat and maximum drying time.

Take a video...preferably one with really good sound. Let us know how it works out. We're all very interested in this.

Jeez Bob, all this time I thought you were a smart guy. Everyone knows you need to wash wood in COLD water, and bleach to get that "seasoned" look.

+1 on the bleach....not that frilly smelling stuff either. Just plain ole' clorox.........Those expensive front loaders work the best. Ya know, the ones with the glass window...

Jeez Bob, all this time I thought you were a smart guy. Everyone knows you need to wash wood in COLD water, and bleach to get that "seasoned" look.

Nope, gotta argue with you on this one. You guys east of the Rockies use COLD water and bleach.

Us guys out here use WARM water and an environmentally proper softening agent. California stuff, ya know.

And I still don't know what the #### a KLIM is.

Silly Californys, everyone knows a klim is a wood-fired combination wood-seasoning, clothes dryin', saw sharpening do hicky! Heard say it cured cancer, too! But the gov't got involved and stopped production after 1 year.......man this thread is going downhill fast!

What setting is used for Cottonwood ? Fur ?

What setting is used for Cottonwood ? Fur ?

Well cottonwood is fairly durable, could probably get away with permanent press. Now if you're drying out some birch, I'd go with delicate on that one. Don't want to ruin all that good firestarter bark.

A few years ago before I really "new" what I was doing, I miscut a few cords too long for my stove. Thank God someone clued me in on the "wash them in hot water trick" which shrank them just enough to fit. Saved me a lot of re-sawing for sure!

A "klim" is a misadjusted turboencabulator, kinda noisy so yeah I'd say it would "work like a klim".....

One other thing- Gas and Electric is somewhat of a net energy loss to dry wood, but if your clothes dryer is wood fired like mine you can actually create a sort of perpetual motion machine, very cool!

Last edited:
Dang.....and all this time I've been haulin my wood to the dry cleaners, be a hell of alot easier to run that 16 cord thru the ole ladys kenmore :dizzy:

Back