Dusted off an old Echo 650evl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one-shot-wonder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given this saw from a friend who couldn't remember the last time he used it. He purchased it new, around late 80s I figure. Serial number is 0007166 Kioritz (anybody know manufacture date?)

Anyway, I dumped the nasty old gas out, peer in with a light to see sawdust and gunk in the tank. Swished some new gas around and dumped, then filled er up. If you can believe it 4-5 pulls and it ran and idled just fine. No adjustments needed. I am convinced these old Echo are good saws.
All metal a bit heavy but I think will stay in my line up.... Anybody have experience with these saws? Worth doing a mod at all? 20220213_084154.jpg20220213_084359.jpg

I was given this saw from a friend who couldn't remember the last time he used it. He purchased it new, around late 80s I figure. Serial number is 0007166 Kioritz (anybody know manufacture date?)

Anyway, I dumped the nasty old gas out, peer in with a light to see sawdust and gunk in the tank. Swished some new gas around and dumped, then filled er up. If you can believe it 4-5 pulls and it ran and idled just fine. No adjustments needed. I am convinced these old Echo are good saws.
All metal a bit heavy but I think will stay in my line up.... Anybody have experience with these saws? Worth doing a mod at all? View attachment 966202View attachment 966203
It's an echo they all start in a few pulls 😁
Sweet saw! :chainsaw:

Hello one-shot,
That is one of the best Echo's made. Beautiful saw you have there Sir.
I've had over (100) Evl's over the years... currently have about (45) EVL's, and the 650/660 are two of the best in my opinion.
Don't molest the old girl, leave her stock. Simply do a fuel filter, fuel line, and carb kit, and it'll be great for many year's.

I really do like my 670 and yes, it is a bit heavy. but it always starts and always runs as expected. With a shop-made bar adapter, I have it capable of running long Stihl bars. The oilers do line up:
1645560575548.jpeg
I've made these adapters using both hardwood and thick plastic. Either works, so it's a keeper. I also have a CS-500 EVL and I like that one also. It looks a bit more like your 650.

A friend of mine bought 1 new in the day, when he burned wood. Still is his top saw of 2 he uses it and a newer cs310 for little stuff on his and his mom's farms. Last i knew it still had the original spark plug.
I had 1 for a spell couple years ago, liked it well as or better then most saws of that class. Definitely 1 of Echo's best models imo.

A friend of mine bought 1 new in the day, when he burned wood. Still is his top saw of 2 he uses it and a newer cs310 for little stuff on his and his mom's farms. Last i knew it still had the original spark plug.
I had 1 for a spell couple years ago, liked it well as or better then most saws of that class. Definitely 1 of Echo's best models imo.
A big Amen to that !!!

Thanks Den, had the ol girl out this morning cut a heavy load from an apple orchard. Don't have plans to molest at all. In fact since she runs well, might not even touch the fuel lines/filter or carb until such time as it starts acting up. I was super surprised that the fuel pump and metering diaphragms were operable and it runs after sitting so long. 20220226_112512.jpg20220226_115230.jpg

Thanks Den, had the ol girl out this morning cut a heavy load from an apple orchard. Don't have plans to molest at all. In fact since she runs well, might not even touch the fuel lines/filter or carb until such time as it starts acting up. I was super surprised that the fuel pump and metering diaphragms were operable and it runs after sitting so long. View attachment 968585View attachment 968586
I have an old 650 vl. Love that saw found it in an old barn years ago bar and chain stuck 4 in in dirt brought it home cleaned it out BAM STARTED RAN FINE AFTER A LITTLE TWEEKING !! BOUGHT BAR AND CHAIN 4 IT. USEING IT EVER SENCE BUT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR ABOUT 5/6 YEARS GETTING IT OUT AND STARTING IT AGAIN !!

I started and ran my CS-670 two days ago after it had been sitting in the garage for almost two years, Yes, it took a few choke pulls, but then it fired right up and cut perfectly in lots of big oak while pulling a 28" bar. No doubt about it, in my mind this is a well-made professional saw.

Très bonnes scies ces échos. Que devient alors ta 650 evl depuis l année dernière et ses coupes de chênes ?
La 650 est comme la 302, increvable..

Dave02's post translated to English:

"Very good saws these echoes. So what has become of your 650 ever since last year and its oak cuts?
The 650 is like the 302, indestructible."

So is my 670. Lots of power for the size of the engine. Not sure how Echo does that.

Back