Ebay misgivings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold one of the nicest Stihl 011 saws I had ever had, near mint. The auction ended on March 11. I got a email yesterday from the guy who bought claiming not as described. He claimed it had an old air filter in it and the saw had no chain brake and one of the oil caps didn't have a spring in it. He had left me + feedback the week he received it. I answered him telling him the saw never had a chain brake and yes the air filter was old because the saw is actually old. The filter looked like new as the saw did. I also told him saws usually only have one oil cap and they don't have springs in them. He said he was reporting me to Ebay. I said report away. I have not heard from Ebay yet. It has been 43 days since the auction ended. I should have know better selling a saw to a guy that has violinguy as a user name.

You get that a lot on ebay, people who think they know about chainsaws but you can tell by their questions or comments that they don't. Many of them will misuse or straight gas your saw then want a return. There is a place at the bottom of most ebay pages called "site map" where you can click on and there's a place where you can block the buyer from future dealings with you. I have several blocked buyers because of past dealings, but of course, it doesn't help the present situation.
Oh, by the way, I've tried to play the violin but decided I wasn't cut out for it.

I blocked one bidder before he actually bid once. He sent about 20 questions regarding whether or not my new engine would be "covered"
if he installed it and the saw burnt up again, after the 20th message I informed him that I was blocking him, which after he sent me half a
dozen more nasty ones.

I gave him my favorite "fishism"...... If I see a huge pile of dog poo in the back yard, I don't walk over and step in it.....

Sorry, if the guy is a member here

You get that a lot on ebay, people who think they know about chainsaws but you can tell by their questions or comments that they don't. Many of them will misuse or straight gas your saw then want a return. There is a place at the bottom of most ebay pages called "site map" where you can click on and there's a place where you can block the buyer from future dealings with you. I have several blocked buyers because of past dealings, but of course, it doesn't help the present situation.
Oh, by the way, I've tried to play the violin but decided I wasn't cut out for it.
You wouldn't believe the size of my blocked bidders list. I have several Ebay "buddies" and we let each other know who were a problem buyer. With Ebay new policy coming up soon(next month I think) that you must state a 14 day money back return policy and 1 day handling time or you will loose brownie points and cost you the 20% seller final fee dicount, I'm about ready to quit having kissing buyers a$$ and say to hell with them.

You wouldn't believe the size of my blocked bidders list. I have several Ebay "buddies" and we let each other know who were a problem buyer. With Ebay new policy coming up soon(next month I think) that you must state a 14 day money back return policy and 1 day handling time or you will loose brownie points and cost you the 20% seller final fee dicount, I'm about ready to quit having kissing buyers a$$ and say to hell with them.

Yes, any changes seem to be more hoops for the sellers to jump through.

The money back crap doesn't really matter, they have that already anyway.

I'm gonna do it the same way I always have. By the way, I just got another reply about the fuel mixture. Some lady asked me how much bar oil to put into the 32:1 mixture! Boy, I sure hope she doesn't bid on the saw! I told her that she should get an owner's manual or some competent help before starting a chainsaw. I would hate to offend any AS members as well, but I hope they all at least know how to mix gas and oil.
You can tell who the bad buyers are by looking at their feedback but by then it may be too late. Maybe you could block them after someone outbids them.

Last edited:
One "misgiving" I'm having is that I've sold 3 or 4 parts saws lately and described them as non running parts saws and have had several people email me and ask me if they run.

In the buyers "defense"; a lot of people sell your saws as parts just so noone comes back at them for any sort of "warranty" issues. The seller can always claim "I sold it as a non-running parts saw". So they may be just checking to see if that is what you are doing.

I just got another reply about the fuel mixture. Some lady asked me how much bar oil to put into the 32:1 mixture! Boy, I sure hope she doesn't bid on the saw!

Look at the bright side, at least she didn't ask if the oil should be Canola or Olive... :msp_biggrin:

In the buyers "defense"; a lot of people sell your saws as parts just so noone comes back at them for any sort of "warranty" issues. The seller can always claim "I sold it as a non-running parts saw". So they may be just checking to see if that is what you are doing.

I have a feeling that it really wouldn't matter. Ebay would probably let them have their money back anyway.

I usually just advertise what they are. If they're parts saws I ad them as parts saws, same with running saws. The problem is just because I can get them started doesn't mean everybody can. I have a feeling that on one of my saws the buyer left the choke on all the time, even after it hit and claimed it flooded and he couldn't get it going. He pulled on it so much he then broke the starter which I had to repair. I believe I'd rather sell face to face which would eliminate this...
On one of my Poulan saws a buyer claimed the compression was too low for it to start, he returned it, I fueled it up and it started on three pulls! The buyer claimed he had a lot of experience with chainsaws, I kinda doubt it.

I guess they're making up to me 'cause I got it posted and bid on in the same hour, so now it will be sold and I have it packaged and ready to go to some lucky bidder. Some times you never know what will work on that site but with the changes coming I may have to do some rethinking on my sales. 14 days returns is alot for used gear, customers can do alot of damage in that time.:rock:

I guess they're making up to me 'cause I got it posted and bid on in the same hour, so now it will be sold and I have it packaged and ready to go to some lucky bidder. Some times you never know what will work on that site but with the changes coming I may have to do some rethinking on my sales. 14 days returns is alot for used gear, customers can do alot of damage in that time.:rock:

They'll never have to buy another chainsaw! 14 days is enough time to cut your winter's firewood then return the saw back to you. I'm not gonna put that on my ads that you can keep it that long. If ebay doesn't like it I can always sell on Craigs list or the Indiana Free Ads. No fees there. I sold a Ruger target pistol on the free ads and almost felt guilty because I didn't have to give the website some of my money!

I may have posted this on here somewhere before; but my recent incident with Ebay has turned me off a little.

In short: I sold a product, buyer had two different addresses (one on Ebay and one on Paypal). He never responded to my requests for clarifications on which address to ship to.

I shipped the product to the Ebay address. The day I entered "Item Shipped", he requested a refund from Paypal.

I notified Paypal item shipped, but did not have delivery confirmation yet.

Paypal gives the buyer his refund, I protest. I win appeal. Buyer still does not pay.

I go to paypal, provide delivery confirmation. But because I did not provide delivery confirmation after buyer first requested a refund, they cannot make him pay. (you only have 10 days to provide the shipping verification from the time buyer enters appeal)

Never got my money.

I've had the same woman ask me questions three times about a chainsaw I have listed. The thing is, I put all the information in my ad that she asked. I finally ended up blocking her from future correspondence because I figure if everything's not perfect she'll want a refund. She probably wouldn't understand "no returns" either!

I'm gonna do it the same way I always have. By the way, I just got another reply about the fuel mixture. Some lady asked me how much bar oil to put into the 32:1 mixture! Boy, I sure hope she doesn't bid on the saw! I told her that she should get an owner's manual or some competent help before starting a chainsaw. I would hate to offend any AS members as well, but I hope they all at least know how to mix gas and oil.
You can tell who the bad buyers are by looking at their feedback but by then it may be too late. Maybe you could block them after someone outbids them.

I just found out that the idiot woman who was asking the stupid questions was my neighbor down the street screwing with me, he came up a while ago and had a big laugh about it. I told him that he was blocked and he laughed more. I feel a little better knowing it was only a joke and not another idiot...

Lmao!!!

thats a funny story Palmer... so when do these new ebay rules go into effect? i swear im thinking the guys that break the saws down and just sell parts are doin better.... and they make more in the long run...i just listed one that runs i can start it have a video... but it has really low compression parts only stated it.. sure euff some says does it have good compression????LOL... im tempted to just break them down as parts just such a pain to ship all those parts.....:bang:

thats a funny story Palmer... so when do these new ebay rules go into effect? i swear im thinking the guys that break the saws down and just sell parts are doin better.... and they make more in the long run...i just listed one that runs i can start it have a video... but it has really low compression parts only stated it.. sure euff some says does it have good compression????LOL... im tempted to just break them down as parts just such a pain to ship all those parts.....:bang:

It's kinda like some people don't even read what the ad says. I think new rules go into effect around July or something like that. Ebay usually gives the sellers something small and takes something big away. I think they're giving away up to 12 pictures of your item, which probably costs them nothing, then they're gonna require the seller to jump through a bunch of hoops. This could very well be my last year of messing with them..

It's kinda like some people don't even read what the ad says. I think new rules go into effect around July or something like that. Ebay usually gives the sellers something small and takes something big away. I think they're giving away up to 12 pictures of your item, which probably costs them nothing, then they're gonna require the seller to jump through a bunch of hoops. This could very well be my last year of messing with them..

you can get free pics and video just tdo it in html format bro!!!!!till they start chargin for that LOL....im trying to clear my ole ones or ones i lost interest out... for awhile i was buying lots ugggg i was trippin over stuff LOL!i wanna rebuild me shop /shed i need room to build LMAO!!!!I hate to part wit parts its getting bad!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back