echo cs-306 carb problems-help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I' m trying to get this saw going for a friend. The saw sat for a couple years. It starts pretty well, but only runs at full throttle with choke on.I did get it to run at full throttle with h and l screw way out(3+ turns). Carb was surprisingly clean inside, line and filter good. Anybody have this issue?

I'm gonna try filter and carb kit even though both look great. He uses ethanol free gas and good oil, there was no gunk in carb at all. It has the primer bulb. None of my saws have primer bulbs. When bulb is pressed 5 or 6 times, should all the air be out of bulb? Or will there always be some air in top of bulb? It seems ok and no air bubbles are going into bulb.
How old is this saw?
I'm not sure. He was given the saw. By the look of the saw I would guess 6 or 8 years or so.

The only way it will run with choke open is full throttle with high and low screws backed way out, 3-4 full turns. With choke closed will also only run full throttle.

When I disassembled carb I found no intake gasket, hoping this is the problem. I've ordered carb kit, fuel filter and intake gasket. Compression seems fine although I haven't tested. I have a compression tester but no vacuum/pressure tester. May be good time to invest in one!

Update, finally got it going. New fuel line and filter, intake gasket, carb kit and still wouldn't run. The kit didn't come with welch plug. So after it wouldn't run, went back in and pulled old welch plug. There was very little gunk but I blew out the passage and cleaned. Put back together and would run but still not quite right, fuel starved. Still no idle and running only 1/2 throttle or more. As last resort I went in and bent metering fork a little higher than original setting, which made it above even with body. Now runs good, idles and revs good. High speed screw adjusts normally but low speed doesn't. But I will leave well enough alone as it idles and accelerates properly.

I just wonder why fork needed adjusting. It was original to saw and the saw ran for several years flawlessly until sitting for about a year. It was even with carb body like it should be according to Echo but wouldn't run until I raised it. Puzzling!

I just wonder why fork needed adjusting. It was original to saw and the saw ran for several years flawlessly until sitting for about a year. It was even with carb body like it should be according to Echo but wouldn't run until I raised it. Puzzling!

Possibly needle tip deterioration?

Back