Echo warranty a joke, need new saw.

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting Echo story as I had ordered a commercial grade straight shaft weed eater from the HD website and went to the store and picked it up. I used it maybe for 8 - 10 hours and it seized. I took it back to HD and they sent it out to be repaired and when I got it back it was still seized. Since HD doesn't repair what they sell, they contract it out I guess and when I went back inside, I spoke with an employee and they informed me that the repairer thought the cause of the seizure was improper oil/gas mixture or even straight gas was used. I told the HD employee that I have numerous 2 stroke items and have never had any problems with engine seizure. Well anyway the technician's diagnosis was that a whole engine, piston and jug needed to be replaced and that I was going to have to eat the cost, I refused to pay. I told the HD employee that this was unacceptable as the cost of repair was almost what I paid for the trimmer. I insisted to talk to the manager and explained my situation and then the manager asked me what I wanted to do. I insisted on a refund and that is what I got. I was surprised to say the least.

Thanks to all the help on this site my buddy and I are are carb tuning and modding all our Echo saws, sure can't hurt the warranty. I did send Echo an email telling them that I was letting everybody I could, in person and online, how badly I was treated and what a joke their warranty is. Won't help but felt good to send it today. Thanks to all.

Just sent Echo an email informing them I would be at the Ohio GTG with my broken saw and all related correspondence. Maybe somebody will get nervous.
[quote uid=142261 name="LoveStihlQuality" post=6190488]The other observation on Echo 590 Timberwolf is that most everyone recommends pulling carb limiters and muffler mod etc because set too lean which would void warranty. But I'm sure you'll never have these problems .<br /><br />Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]<br /><br />On the CS590 you can pull the limiter caps tune and put them back on and no one will ever know, the biggest restriction in the muff is the deflector which need to be opened up, if on the fat chance the warranty was need just buy a new deflector. No rocket science for a saw that has twice the quality and power of the 271 or 291 Stihl saws. You really have to have its a Stihl mentality to buy one of those saws. Or get a Dolmar which is better than those Stihl saws everywhere. Steve

I sent my observations and got accused of a mental defect if you dare suggest that Echo may not be only game in town. I pm d him buy no reply. Not sure why they haven't burned you at the stake?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

echo ain't the only one that sucks on warranty!!!

i tried to post a bunch of links to failed stihls in the homeowner/farm class and peoples gripes however i can't link -- must be some browser issue

do a quick search and you'll be shocked.

on the plug being too long -- most of the time if the plug is too long the piston closes the plug gap and the saw quits.

echo ain't the only one that sucks on warranty!!!

i tried to post a bunch of links to failed stihls in the homeowner/farm class and peoples gripes however i can't link -- must be some browser issue

do a quick search and you'll be shocked.

on the plug being too long -- most of the time if the plug is too long the piston closes the plug gap and the saw quits.

I did the search and I was shocked! Well actually it was funny! Ethanol is a huge factor on most of the saw makers complaint pages. Old fuel, carb issues, fuel lines that are all gummy... Maybe a mandatory chainsaw course should be taught with a maintenance section. 1 thing I have noticed is the spike in homeowner Motomix sales...

We are also an Echo dealer and must say our experience with warranty claims has been nothing but great, we have had NO claims rejected since we picked them up 3 years ago! I wonder how the spark plug issue even came up since that is generally not something requested in a claim? my guess is the problem started with the dealer who handled the claim poorly and likely had a bad relationship with the warranty/tech department at Echo or the distributor that handles Echo in that section of the country.

The plug was cross referenced on the chart and was ok as a replacement. According to Dave at Echo, service rep, the plug was 2 bars too high/hot. Although the chart said ok he said it wasn't any good and not a factory problem. It was the ONLY thing he could claim that wasn't factory fault. I ain't a mechanic but was a machinist for 40 years and know how to take care of equipment. The answer he gave me was b.s. I have been told by others including dealers that warranty is a joke. I like Echo saws, not the management that runs it.

And you state that my dealer may have had a bad relationship with the Echo service department. So that means it's ok for Echo to screw me over because they don't like my dealer? That's a great upstanding company.

If Echo or Service Rep had personality issues with my dealer is no reason to screw me out of just over $300 plus made them a former disgruntled customer out of me letting people know what they pull.

I think a dealers relationship with distributers is very important for customers. Its not something easy to measure in the mist of a glossy dealership. But definitely some dealers get treated MUCH better than others due to many factors. I don't buy saws bases on warranties, but many do and finding the right dealer is not as easy as many would think. A warranty is only as good as the dealers ability to use it.

Latest posts

Back