Echo's new top handle: CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its cool with everyone, lets just call a truce and end this thread I didnt mean to dig anything up.

The saw posted isnt even out yet in the States, as far as I know .But then again what do I know.

The moral of the story even if someone hates your saw and you are cool with it, that is all that matters.

Stay safe everyone, have a great weekend and cut some wood with your favorite saw.

... The moral of the story even if someone hates your saw and you are cool with it, that is all that matters...

Kodes you're on to it but the sour brigade out there still can't can't quite grasp that concept yet

echo rep brought out one of the new saws to my jobsite today. used it on a few pines with a 12in bar. seems to do well not as well as my older 200t but better then my 201t. keep in mind that the echo was never ran, so it hasn't broke in yet. i think i will buy one before i'll get another 201. rep said the price was 450.00. thats alot cheaper then what i just paid for the stihl.

echo rep brought out one of the new saws to my jobsite today. used it on a few pines with a 12in bar. seems to do well not as well as my older 200t but better then my 201t. keep in mind that the echo was never ran, so it hasn't broke in yet. i think i will buy one before i'll get another 201. rep said the price was 450.00. thats alot cheaper then what i just paid for the stihl.

Mod your 201t and it will be stronger than your 200.

rep said the price was 450.00. thats alot cheaper then what i just paid for the stihl.

Yes "In life you get what you pay for" never applies to echos because echos have got power-vortexTM

I've never run the Echo tophandles so have no dog in this fight. I will say this though, my Echo pole saw has held its own just as well as any Stihl one that I used previously.

I see enough landscape/tree service companies using Echo equipment around here as well. IMHO, they can't all be bad if the commercial outfits are running them.

As with anything, there are bound to be some less than desirable ones in the bucket...

Based on what I see being used around Houston, FWIW....

Professional landscaping and lawn service companies, blowers & trimmers:
1. Echo--First & foremost.
2. Stihl--A distant second.
3. Husqvarna--A distant third.

Professional tree service companies, chainsaws:
1. Stihl.
2a. Husqvarna--Not a distant second, but also not close to Stihl.
2b. Echo--Mostly top handle saws and/or small saws, not many large saws.

I have gotten to know a lot of tree guys in this area in the last year, and the vast majority of them run Stihls for their big saws, and top-handle Echos for their little saws. A lot of the Echos are a couple generations old (with older color schemes), and have been in service a long time.

I'll be getting some video later today. I wish I had a 200t or 201t in to compare it with, but I don't right now.

You can have one for $399...

uummm... the claims you constantly hear on this site about clamshell engines being "not as good" as a non-clamshell engine are such nonsense. A clamshell engine is just another design, with equal cc's there's no bloody difference in performance, there's no difference in longevity or power or whatever. The XPT TH huskys are 100% pro-grade saws and they're clamshell design, I've run them trouble-free for decades and they actually more robust and outlast the "better"(sigh) 200T engine. Just thought I'd mention that... BUT OF COURSE I AIN'T PRAISING ANY ECHO! The 350T/360T's are absolute pigs of TH saws compared to the "equivalent" pro husky and pro stihls.

Had another go on one(350T) in the trees this week pruning(for about two minutes - that was more than enough)and they're truly nasty nasty saws compared to the real deal pro stuff. Anyone thinking a half-price saw can equal the top models out there are dreaming man. I guarantee this new-fangled 355 TH will be just another hyped-up exercise in propaganda and downright lies and mis-information . AS PER NORMAL for echo.... :msp_biggrin:

Get a grip Fransis. Your ignorance is showing.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video of the CS-355T in action.

And now for something completely different.

A the below-quoted post is from another thread.

uummm... the claims you constantly hear on this site about clamshell engines being "not as good" as a non-clamshell engine are such nonsense. A clamshell engine is just another design, with equal cc's there's no bloody difference in performance, there's no difference in longevity or power or whatever. The XPT TH huskys are 100% pro-grade saws and they're clamshell design, I've run them trouble-free for decades and they actually more robust and outlast the "better"(sigh) 200T engine. Just thought I'd mention that... BUT OF COURSE I AIN'T PRAISING ANY ECHO! The 350T/360T's are absolute pigs of TH saws compared to the "equivalent" pro husky and pro stihls.

Had another go on one(350T) in the trees this week pruning(for about two minutes - that was more than enough)and they're truly nasty nasty saws compared to the real deal pro stuff. Anyone thinking a half-price saw can equal the top models out there are dreaming man. I guarantee this new-fangled 355 TH will be just another hyped-up exercise in propaganda and downright lies and mis-information . AS PER NORMAL for echo.... :msp_biggrin:

I'm seeing some glaring contradictions in your posts, pgg.

1. In the above quote, you are one of the very few arborists (I'm taking you at your word that you are actually an arborist) to sing the praises of the Husqvarna TH saws.

2. What about your many posts where you declared the Stihl MS200T do be the best--by an extremely wide margin--top handle chainsaw ever?

I'm looking forward to seeing the video of the CS-355T in action.

And now for something completely different.

A the below-quoted post is from another thread.

I'm seeing some glaring contradictions in your posts, pgg.

1. In the above quote, you are one of the very few arborists (I'm taking you at your word that you are actually an arborist) to sing the praises of the Husqvarna TH saws.

2. What about your many posts where you declared the Stihl MS200T do be the best--by an extremely wide margin--top handle chainsaw ever?

I love my Husky's, but i don't like the feel of their TH so i use STIHL they just feel better in my hands.

I use a top handle saw very little in my operation, I have one an old 009 and my son has a 200T. Bought have been extremely reliable, the 009 is literally beat to death, but still runs good when I need it too.
I don't think the average user is at any disadvantage with a clamshell design saw, I had several and had no issues, until I joined here I thought they were a PIA to work on but after THALL's disassembly thread it made it much easier to work on them.
I am not really a Echo fan, but I know that their string trimmers and blowers are excellent equipment. I do believe they have worked hard on improving the performance of their saws. I've had a chance to run I believe it was a 520, it was okay, didn't knock my socks off, but have no idea if it was broke in and thinking back it was prolly on the rich side, a proper tune could have prolly helped it. They may be a excellent saw but the local dealer we have just is adamant that the warranty is worth a hoot. That it takes an act of congress to get a claim apporved and for the dealer to get reimbushed.
No more than I use a top handle, I would have to take a hard look at it if I needed one, just due to the price differential. If I was a climber and used one all the time I would have to go with the 201 and mod it, just because of the relationship with my dealer, I know he would take care of it........period.
Echo's spending some marketing money and trying to stress their products are pro grade, I'm sure you'll prolly see a increase in product in the big box stores, challenging Huskies dominance in that market segment.

I'd like to see the video too. I think I want to buy one for kicks. The only top handle I have had was a Stihl 009, out of the trash bin at my local Stihl shop for $10... It's still running after some original repair work.

I have no idea what a 200T or a 201 feels like running as I have no need for a climbers saw in that price range. I'm sure it's a better saw, there must be something for the higher cost. I do have some Echo's though, A 670 and another smaller saw that is in the 40cc class (it rides in my truck box). Both are extremely reliable, but clunky in the hand. The 670 will pull a 27 inch blade buried in wet cottonwood no problem. I think it will out cut my MS390...

Back