&^%$#@! Employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only thing Gen Xer's smell is the interior of the brand new Lexus mommy and daddy bought for them when they got a "c" average on their report card. every punk kid i dealt with from age 20 to 29 seriously believed that if they went to college, partied and took a few tests... they came out expecting...i mean OWED an $80,000 job from the 1st day. time to wake up. how's that house hunting going? i love hearing the stories about the gen Xer's not being able to afford a high priced house that all us REAL MEN had to earn.

Sounds like you've lived a sheltered life.Mommy and Daddy dint buy me crap.I been bustin my a$$ since i was 13. As fer college? That dream went by by when my mom and dad both got laid off from the county.Yea i partied,from 16 to 23 then was go time.To bad i got a late start er else id be buyin my kids a lexus when they turned 16 because they earned it.I will speak for some of us gen Xrs.Most of us didnt go to college(or finish school for that matter)thats why we risk our lives and bodies swingin chainsaws to make a livin so i dont know who you think yer bullhocking bud.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry yall,that struck a cord but im lmfao now:yoyo:

OTG BOSTON......you hit the bull's eye. The complaint seems to be that the bull's eye is on the forehead of too many GEN X'ers. They are hippies kids raised in a marijuana haze. Eighty percent of them never took the time to learn how to read and write. A full third of them graduated Special Ed from every school in this nation. Work ethic? That generation and what follows is the reason why eleven million illegals who are here to do the work GEN X'ers refuse. Mortgage? Do they really have credit? Children? Yeah, they have them scattered out all over your community with their unwed mothers. Thirty five percent of the general population is born to unwed mothers. It is more among minority groups. Put that together with men who have abandoned their children and the number is too high to calculate. College? I am always amused at the reasons grown men come up with for not having any education. They do and buy everything else they want. Why can't they find the front door of a university? Oh yeah, eighty percent of them do not read and write without help with the big words.

buff said:
OTG BOSTON......you hit the bull's eye. The complaint seems to be that the bull's eye is on the forehead of too many GEN X'ers. They are hippies kids raised in a marijuana haze. Eighty percent of them never took the time to learn how to read and write. A full third of them graduated Special Ed from every school in this nation. Work ethic? That generation and what follows is the reason why eleven million illegals who are here to do the work GEN X'ers refuse. Mortgage? Do they really have credit? Children? Yeah, they have them scattered out all over your community with their unwed mothers. Thirty five percent of the general population is born to unwed mothers. It is more among minority groups. Put that together with men who have abandoned their children and the number is too high to calculate. College? I am always amused at the reasons grown men come up with for not having any education. They do and buy everything else they want. Why can't they find the front door of a university? Oh yeah, eighty percent of them do not read and write without help with the big words.
OK Buffff, i din''t agrea butt i ony 28. I go get welfair chek than com bak/ smoak weed and plaey vido game. Than latr get girll knoked up. I go collage every dey to find momis fr my kidz. {how spell collage---too big a word}?/:hmm3grin2orange:

buff said:

Jesus, Buff... you hit the nail on the head with that one.
it's absolutely true that the reason all the jobs are done by immigrants these days is because the gen X'ers are not willing to do it themselves. they feel the hard work is "beneath" them. their ancestors who immigrated to America in the 1900's would kick their a$$ if they saw what was going on. those guys worked 18 hour days in the cole mines and steel mills for poverty wages.

and GenXer's that do think they are working hard are simply hardworking in their own minds. they keep fooling themselves into beleiving it. it's no different than when a guy thinks his girlfriend is the best looking when really she's not. i have yet to meet ANYONE in the 20's who can work as hard as we did when we were 20. bunch of punks who think a hard day is scoring 10,000 points on the newest Nintendo game. they think talent is talking on a cellphone while driving stickshift. give me a break. one day on my jobsite is about all they last. i'm telling you guys...i've hired plenty and they can't keep up.

Dan R Porter said:
Are you hiring? heh...I am willing to relocate to Virginia.

It's temp work. All across the nation, when and where we have a contract, and it's a few weeks, MAYBE a few months at a time, at most. That's the ONLY reason drivers get paid so much. Most places that's a $7 or $8 per hour job.

Not to be nit-picky here but I think you guys are reffering to Generation Y and not Generation X.

Gen Xers were born between 1961-1981. I'm 38 and that put me in that group.

Gen Y's were born between 1977-2003. These are the 20 something's and late teens you all are reffering to.

I found these years on Wikipedia.:popcorn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

Gary

Treeinnovator said:
Jesus, Buff...
i have yet to meet ANYONE in the 20's who can work as hard as we did when we were 20. bunch of punks who think a hard day is scoring 10,000 points on the newest Nintendo game. they think talent is talking on a cellphone while driving stickshift. give me a break. one day on my jobsite is about all they last. i'm telling you guys...i've hired plenty and they can't keep up.

And I'm sure an ol' timer said a very similar thing about you when you where in your 20's.

Smokindodgew101 said:
And I'm sure an ol' timer said a very similar thing about you when you where in your 20's.

not a chance.
i'm 34 and back then things were alot different. we were brought up under harder conditions.

Generation X or generation Y.......Put them in a sack and shake them up. Who can tell the difference? It is basically anybody born after the early
1950's. Not just those now in their 20's. They do not get any better as they age out. Too many of them just want to work long enough to find a place to fall down or qualify for a crazy check. Everytime you want some real work done you have to look up some illegals.

I think officially "Baby Boomers" are 1946-1964, so lumping us with all those Xs and Ys is a travesty! And I am sure there was more than a fair share of boomers who were dope smoking granola munching long haired hippies in their day.

On the local college campus the hippie age was well under way by 1970. That would be someone born in the early 1950's. Society changed in the late sixties for the worst and never recovered. That is when the divorce rate spiked, drugs became so common place and people began to stop getting married. What we see today is just more of the same and worse. Because of crack babies, alcohol fetal syndrome and just plain neglect, a full half of all school age children today are permanently, mentally disabled to greater and lesser degrees...but still disabled. I do not know how many more are on medication to manage their behavior but it must be a shocking rate. Just ask the diagnostician at any high school in the US. Only twenty percent of the school population understands what they are there for. The remainder are asleep at their desk, on medication, drugs and in Special Ed. For all of those who complain that they did not attend college because their parents would not pay for it...I assume that you took all of the advanced college prep courses and scored high on your entrance exams. And I assume that all of the loans, grants and paying jobs must have been passed out to someone else...even to this day.

Last edited:
GASoline71 said:
Not to be nit-picky here but I think you guys are reffering to Generation Y and not Generation X.

Gen Xers were born between 1961-1981. I'm 38 and that put me in that group.

Gen Y's were born between 1977-2003. These are the 20 something's and late teens you all are reffering to.

I found these years on Wikipedia.:popcorn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

Gary
Thanks Gary, I was born in '68, making me 38 as well. Funny the tards whining about Gen X ers couldn't even get it right. Just retarded to generalize like that.

Amen!

OTG BOSTON said:
I'm calling b@llsh*t on this one. I've heard all this crap about "gen X" my whole working life. I am proud to be a member of this "lost" generation, but we are completely misundertstood. Our teen years were spent while this country was in an economic recession, most of us had both parents working (if our parents were even together) I had my first job at 14 and a paper route, and went to school, and played sports.
The problem is that no one with a head on their shoulders will work for 10$ an hr., especially if they see the biz owner making ten times that. You're damn right if they have any ambition they will try to go out on their own, I did. Didn't you??
I agree that the education thing is a huge factor. I worked for a company that would send us to seminars and the trade shows and all that fun stuff, when I was hired I was promised schooling for college credit, the carrot kept getting bigger and the stick longer untill I had enough and quit to do my own thing and go back to school.
The thing about gen X is that we can smell hypocracy a mile a way...............pay attention, we've grown up watching you

Well said OTG BOSTON, well said...

There's a story of an old man at a bus stop waiting patiently when a young man walks down the road heading for the next town, the old man asks him what he thought of the town he'd just come from, the young man replies that it was crap and full of idiots the old guy nods his head and responds saying the next town is just the same...

An hour or so later another young man comes from the other direction heading for the next town, the old man asks him the same question to which the young man responds that the town was great and he had a great time, the old man nods and says the next town is the same...

Our employees and the people around us will be exactly what we make them (and of them)...

Transperancy, understanding and empathy through careful listening backed by education (not innundation) and communication is the answer as stated by many previously...

Well whacko, got a few fired up hey.

At the end of the day what you need to find is workers who are interested in trees .... then they'll take an interest in

Wanting to improve

Listening to advice

Offering to help maintain gear

Asking for off the job tuition

Wanting to know knots

Reading books and telling you a few things

Shaving and showering before work

Bringing their lunch and drink

Wearing their PPE without you telling them

Not butting out their cigs on the customers driveway

Not giving the bird to another driver in your truck.

Turning up on time if not early

Not spitting or slagging everywhere

Not throwing up behind bushes from the night before

Not abandoning their post on the lowering rope

Moving pots and obsticals you may have missed

Not leaving rubber on customers driveways

Paying their own traffic offences

Not turning the floor into a tip full of rubbish

When fueling and oiling the saw checking chain sharpness and tension

Untangling your ropes when neccessary rather than SMS'ing mates

Oh, and the BIG ONE, accepting responsibility for their own actions not blaming the boss for it.

I'm sure there's many others but a lot of the above I think are "normal" expectations. How come you get guys in this job 8 years and still cant tie a knot? Lived in the city longer than I but have no idea where they're driving.

Because, it has nothing to do with money or the boss and has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THEM AND ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.

I have taken on jobs in the past way out of my area of expertise, I got the job due to other atributes, I made it my business to know those industries and jobs, read about them, borrowed books etc. But in this industry the meat heads want it all brought to them ... it's always the bosses responsibility. I even gave them a piece of rope on Friday along with a book and said on Monday morning I want you to show me how to tie a bowline. Monday comes along and the answer .. "Oh man, had a blinder of a weekend, just didn't have time mate". Yeah, well I aint got time for you ... piss off.:hmm3grin2orange:

Treeinnovator said:
not a chance.
i'm 34 and back then things were alot different. we were brought up under harder conditions.

Yep, and they said that too.

It doesn't matter what time frame you pick the older generation always had it rougher/tougher/longer/harder. Just ask them.

So, the six years difference between your age and the group you are always piss and moaning about really amounts to what really?

Was there a world war?

Was there a holocaust?

A plague?

No? What occured to make things "alot different"

It's not about age or era's it's about people.

You walk into a job not knowing **** you start at the bottom and work your way up.

What I see at lot of is people not knowing **** and wanting good money. How many calls I get,

"yeah mate, saw the job, whadya paying?"

"Well that depends on your experience and skills"

"Oh, I done a bit of this n' that and I'll be good mate, the dump I work at now only pays me $18 and hour and ya cant live on that ???? money, so whadya paying?"

"So, tell me, have you worked in any other professional tree crews before?"

"Nah mate, but I'm tellin ya, I'll be F'N good!"

"OK, so we'll start you on $18 and hour and take it from there"

"Oh, that's not much, do ya get holidays and what happens if it rains?"

"Oh yes, when it rains you have an unpaid holiday ... just like me"

.... now come on guys, I'm not exagerating, this is what you get.

The last two Sunday nights in a row I had a mysterious call at about 8.30pm ... it went like this.

"yeah mate, are ya looking for a climber" ... Now that was exactly what I heard when I answered, no intro, didn't know who the guy was, what experience he had, and obviously I figured a desperado with nowhere to go on Monday.

Well bugger me, last Sunday again, the same guy. Like would you ring a stranger at 8.30pm on a Sunday and act like that?

I've been around a fair while and in a few different jobs but I have never had experiences like these. Most people wanting a job go about it pleasantly and intelligently, an introduction is normal.

You're exactly right Ekka. It's not about age or era, it's the people. I wish you the best of luck in finding a climber it sounds like you might need it!:bang:

Hahaha, I climb my own stuff. Just as well.

There's a few climbers around that contract who are good, but I haven't had to use any for yonks.

Good ground guys are hard to find too. You may want some-one to operate a chipper, stump grinder, run ya ropes etc ... a good ground guy who's onto it is worth a lot to a business, no doubt about it.

And I suppose for the guys who are at the bottom, lugging and dragging and putting up with crap well hey .... consider it an education, treat it like a professional job and make it your business to grow and learn ... ask for more responsibility but you better honour it.

Back