&^%$#@! Employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treeinnovator said:
the only thing Gen Xer's smell is the interior of the brand new Lexus mommy and daddy bought for them when they got a "c" average on their report card. every punk kid i dealt with from age 20 to 29 seriously believed that if they went to college, partied and took a few tests... they came out expecting...i mean OWED an $80,000 job from the 1st day. time to wake up. how's that house hunting going? i love hearing the stories about the gen Xer's not being able to afford a high priced house that all us REAL MEN had to earn.
congradualtions REAL MAN, your misconceptions are your worst enemy. I'm not sure what backwater hovel you own in. What I do know is I bought my first house four years ago (I was 25) for 500k, in Boston. Last year I purchased a vacation home on Cape Cod. I figured out how to make 80k a year without going to college (more actually:clap: )
I think you need to take a good look at YOURSELF before you can lead young people at work. Leadership is an art and a skill, and if you can't lead.............
No need to get nasty about it either I'm just defending my generation same as you would.
I would agree that twenty somethings are late genX or early genY, for those "tards" who can't make the distinction

hmmm

TreeInnovator,

I'm 27 years old and I disagree with all the ignorant generalizations that have been made about my generation. I started working as a groundman for my dads company during my summer vacations at the age of 15, I don't recall a day were we didn't work hard. Many of my friends worked for our company during the summer, and although some couldn't handle the hard work many turned out to be great workers.
As for all 20 year olds being lazy and lacking ambition: that is ridiculous. At 20 years old I felt highly motivated to achieve, I became college educated, an arborist, a climber, a class 1 hoisting engineer, CDL driver, Certified Line Trimmer, crew foreman, and bought my first home all by the age of 24. Today I manage a successfull company, and work in the field doing tree removals every day. I just purchased my second home this past winter; and spend my free time doing renovations on the new home and studying for the mass arborist exam this fall. I don't believe I lack ambition, achievement or work ethic.
It is true that many 20 year olds sit around and do very little to contribute to society, but on the other end most of our soldiers and officers fighting and dieing in wars in Iraq and Afghanistan fall in the 20 year old demographic; are they lazy too? I have friends that waist there time playing video games and friends that are Dr.s at age of 26, friends that live in apartments and friends that own homes....

All people are different........You just cant make blanket statements about any demographic and expect to sound intelligent.

www.dillontree.com

Last edited:
Climb020 said:
I have to say I am sick and tired of people trash talking the young guys. Though I will agree that many do deserve an @ss whipping but give credit to those that work their ass off.

Lazy ?????*s come from every age group. And you pay for what you get. You want to be cheap and pay $10/hour then you deserve a worker that will give you your moneys worth and not a penny more.
My first tree boss was kinda the same way. My first day he said it was gonna be hard work and I told him no problem cause a little hard work never killed noone. He didn't believe me but he does know and that is why I still help him out on the weekends.

I would love to work with some of you guys some times. I would run circles around you and tell you to go f.. off at the end of the day for being sterotypical.

Well done, you deserve it mate!

Ha, and to all you guys who think ALL younger guys are useless, I'm 21 and i would love to send you my CV.

Good guys are out there, why don't you get the climber to demo themselves before you hire them? If their rubbish don't even bother with them for a day.

If you find a good guy, a guy you are looking for, don't trial them for a year pay them well. PAY THEM WHAT THEIR WORTH!

Look after your guys and they will look after you.

Yeah Jim, I'll have ya anyday, you're a rare one.

Hey, that pub we went to has been rebuilt, I wonder what's on the lunch menu now? Haha

Cheers Ekka, hey i think i fulfill all your employee requirements and there's no need to worry about any cigarette butts!!!

HAHA well lets just say theres no need to fix the entertainment!:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Theres no perfect tree worker just like theres no perfect people its just managing the people youve surrounded yourself with,hopefully not some of the lazy/theives/alchos that circulate the tree game.

Last edited:
a_lopa said:
hopefully not some of the pigs/lazy/theives/alchos that circulate the tree game.

Come on Lopa, tell us a good story, I have let out a few.

You know that Ac/DC song Thunderstruck? Well, we had this guy who threw up a few times so we used to whistle and sing Da Da da dah da CHUNDER, hahaha, and he was nick named Chucky. :ices_rofl:

as long as they upchuck in the neighbors bushes (i used to hide like the best back in my day)Boss would be like "where u been" n id be like "I'm here aint I?"
LOL:censored:

Ekka said:
Come on Lopa, tell us a good story, I have let out a few.

You know that Ac/DC song Thunderstruck? Well, we had this guy who threw up a few times so we used to whistle and sing Da Da da dah da CHUNDER, hahaha, and he was nick named Chucky. :ices_rofl:

To many to mention,one guy that comes to mind had done a basic arb ticket while on the dole biggest thief going,he would cut firewood and do as many cash jobs as he could while on the job, and once walked into a packed shopping mall with his spikes on.They started wondering where all there saws were going but never even looked at this guy!he gets pulled up by the cops driving company truck you guessed it no licence so he finally gets fired the realise he was the saw theif everyone else forgiven.

Comes in to pick up his last paycheck gets in the office steals owners wifes handbag with keys to her BMW takes it out bush and trashes it.same guy would be drinking a jim beam black and a joint for smoko,was fun to wind him up thou i nearly had him try drop an undroppable tree next to a house just to see how hungry for money he was,unfortunantly he was smart enough not to.

What did you guys major in? Do you really own a business or just some climbing gear and a stack of blank tickets?

Hey, what's wrong with being a College grad and a tree guy?
As long as they can do the work like the rest of us, then by being a grad, they've got an extra layer in their 'bag of tricks'
I went to a highly academic high school, left with 12 GCE 'o' levels, 6 in science alone (the UK mob will understand this) SAT's blah blah, and chose the outdoor career (with Technical College). I was supposed to be a doctor or a lawyer or accountant or something according to the school and got grief for it, reverse snobbery, don't dis the College boys!
At the end of the day, can you do the work???

Last edited:
Bang on Bermie, it's all about individuals choices and yes, college etc tells the employer you have the ability to learn and see things thru.

Hey, let's all see what else we can stereotype...

I tell you, Russell Freeman 30 yrs old, supposed "Gen-xer". I heard somebody try to blame us for the reality shows on tv, for Mtv to stop showing music videos. Probably a damn Gen-xer in the plane that hit the trade center.
This all seems kinda silly to me. I am 30 years old and I have been on my own for 13 years. I did not finish college, but I can read and write fairly well. I know the difference between can't afford to pay and not willing to pay. I work smart, and hard when I have to, or sometimes because it is fun. I think the start of this thread was something about how to hire and retain cheap labor for dangerous work. Or maybe it was what makes employees want to stay at a company for low wages and dangerous work.
Any good tree guy I ever knew did good treework, was a good employee only because he loved to climb, work as a team and had the ability to make a game out of making sh*t disappear, especially rotten elm brush piles. It takes a good, fun,productive team to make people wanna stick around. If the boss is a part of the team, even better. Fact is that less than 2 percent of the population can do what we do; even less do it well. We stay with what is comfortable, if not we move on.
Undoubtedly there are a certain percentage of people from every generation who aren't willing to go out and drag prickly brush up and down hills, stairs, across yards and feed it into a potentially dangerous machine that is loud and can impair their hearing, or risk major bodily injury every time they pick up a chainsaw. Believe it or not, many people try to avoid worksites where the judgement of others has to be trusted while risking death. Some people don't like to bleed from cuts and scratches they don't remember getting, I however, am not one of those people.
What I suggest is that maybe the is not best forum for a debate on whether or not my generation is lazy, as we are all tree guys here. We work hard because we are passionate about what we do, this transends all generations. You can't teach this, and no amount of money is going to purchase it. If you want good employees, don't hold them to the same expectations you hold for yourself, as you will only be disappointed. Instead, find out what motivates them, let them feel they are part of the team. They will either catch on or they will have to move on; this sh*t ain't for everybody.

I know you are a highly qualified individual. But, are you married to your children's mother?

Russell Freeman

Nice post, especially the last few lines, you should post here more.

Gen xers, Y's whatever ... all a load of BS, about as stupid as trying to lump everybody into 1 of 12 star signs or 1 of 4personality traits or 1 of 3 forums. :buttkick: lol

If you belong to one of those generations, can you please tell me that you have never done drugs and if you are married to the mother of your children.

Not sure WTF it has to do with this thread but I'll bite, Yes I have done drugs, and Yes I am married but no children. Whats the point of questions like this?????:confused:

Back