equpipment predicament...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevSauce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there,

First of all I would like to introduce myself- my name is Kevin, I am 26, a pilot, and I always loved wood working. Recently, a severe storm pummeled the NYC-area causing more damage than any such storm in about 30 years. My parents house (3.5 acres) lost 5 trees; a mix of ash, hickory, and white oak. I have decided to utilize my proficiency with power tools and wood working rather than paying a 4-man crew + truck and chipper $1800 per day for 4 days, my goal is to "dismantle" these trees myself and then call in the crew for 1 day to chip and haul the wood.

Now here is where the predicament part comes in- a mix of poor research and impulsiveness has led me to be in possession of 2 brand-new saws- A Jonsered 2255 and a Husky 346XP.

So, my question is, do I need both? are these saws in anyway closely "classed"? and any other commentary about anything relative is welcome!

Thanks everyone!!!

They are very closely classed but one is a pro grade stalwart.......return the 2255 and get to cutting with the 346

They are very closely classed but one is a pro grade stalwart.......return the 2255 and get to cutting with the 346

I forgot to add... neither saw is returnable because both have been "tested" (barely used) and the Jred dealer will only buy it back from me as a "used" saw... apparently Tilton (NE distributor for Jred) does not share the same customer service philosophy as Home Depot...

hey im about 45 mins north of nyc and was hit by the storm too. where do your parents live, if your close enough i can take some of that wood of of your hands and even help you cut. let me know and mabee we can work somthing out.

Keep both saws. You already have sunk costs so why take a loss?? I always take at least two saws with me whenever I go out to do tree work. If I had a nickel for ever time the backup saw bailed me out of a pinch, thrown chain, hit something, flood, broken starter rope, etc, I could probably retire. They are brand new and if you give them some basic care they will last many years. You never know when having a spare saw may come in handy. My 2 cents.

yup, definately need more than one saw. might get one hung up our something and have to cut the other out, or have some other type problem. Backup saw is a great idea IMHO, I have 9......could be the CAD talking

I personally would keep both but hey if you dont mind taking a hit on it let er go. As far as the trees go spread the word im sure there are guys on here close enough to give you a hand. I would rent a chipper and chip the brush yourself you will save lots of coin and have a nice pile of mulch for your parents and/or thier neibors.

I personally would keep both but hey if you dont mind taking a hit on it let er go. As far as the trees go spread the word im sure there are guys on here close enough to give you a hand. I would rent a chipper and chip the brush yourself you will save lots of coin and have a nice pile of mulch for your parents and/or thier neibors.

:agree2:

If you save that much coin, you won't need to sell the 2255. Better yet, see if the dealer will let you trade it on a 2171 or 2156. If you're going to be doing alot of cutting, plan on investing in some sharpening tools, and several chains. Also, if you do decide to sell one of them, do it AFTER you have finished cutting all those trees up. Then when you get one stuck, you can rescue it with the other. You will get about the same money if it has been used to cut 5 limbs or 5 trees. Either way it is a used saw. An astute buyer will check the compression. It will be higher on a broken-in saw anyway, so I don't think you're going to loose anything by running it a bit.

:agree2:

If you save that much coin, you won't need to sell the 2255. Better yet, see if the dealer will let you trade it on a 2171 or 2156. If you're going to be doing alot of cutting, plan on investing in some sharpening tools, and several chains. Also, if you do decide to sell one of them, do it AFTER you have finished cutting all those trees up. Then when you get one stuck, you can rescue it with the other. You will get about the same money if it has been used to cut 5 limbs or 5 trees. Either way it is a used saw. An astute buyer will check the compression. It will be higher on a broken-in saw anyway, so I don't think you're going to loose anything by running it a bit.

Well, the catch is the rents are picking up the tab for the oustide tree labor (if any), and I have to pay for my gear... weird I know... I hear everyone about rescuing the saw, and since I plan on bucking 30+ inch diameter logs with a 20 inch bar I think you guys are on to something haha! I would like to sell the 2255 and then buy a 660 or something... but I would only use such a monster on these few trees and then probably never again. As for future tree work, most of it on this particular property consists of fancy arborist stuff I have 0 experience with. Also, I think there is some code against felling these big trees from the base, as I always remember the pros "dismantling" them piece by piece from the top down...

Well, the catch is the rents are picking up the tab for the oustide tree labor (if any), and I have to pay for my gear... weird I know... I hear everyone about rescuing the saw, and since I plan on bucking 30+ inch diameter logs with a 20 inch bar I think you guys are on to something haha! I would like to sell the 2255 and then buy a 660 or something... but I would only use such a monster on these few trees and then probably never again. As for future tree work, most of it on this particular property consists of fancy arborist stuff I have 0 experience with. Also, I think there is some code against felling these big trees from the base, as I always remember the pros "dismantling" them piece by piece from the top down...

If a 660 is your goal, trade the 2255 on a 2186 and find something to wipe that grin off your face :clap:.

Have fun and be safe. Get some chaps for sure!

The little 346xp with an 18” bar running 325 RMC will have no trouble bucking up a 30” tree. They are great little saws and you don’t need to be afraid to work them a little, just keep your chain sharp. A larger saw will make the job go faster but as an HO you are not really racing the clock. Concentrate on keeping yourself safe and keeping your chains sharp and your current arsenal will easily take care of what you are attempting to do. The MS660 look nice on paper but they are a beast of a saw to run and if you don’t use it everyday, there is little point in owing a $1200 dust collector.
If you are new to chainsaws and tree dismemberment, keep the spare saw!! You will need it!! Also get yourself a couple of plastic wedges or make some wooden ones and learn to place them strategically as you cut. It will save you a lot of aggravation. A peavey is also a most excellent tool.Take your time and concentrate on being safe. Good luck and post back if you have any questions.

Alrighty,

thank you all for your advice! I think I am gonna keep both saws for now and maybe trade up or sell the 2255 when I am done with this project!

And don't worry, I have all the safety gear!

btw, CPR, I think they only sell the 2188 here on the east coast... not sure why...

Alrighty,

thank you all for your advice! I think I am gonna keep both saws for now and maybe trade up or sell the 2255 when I am done with this project!

And don't worry, I have all the safety gear!

btw, CPR, I think they only sell the 2188 here on the east coast... not sure why...

Sorry, that's what I meant... 2186 is old model...

Back