Exact Measurement for Gas and oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZipFunk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just had an Echo CS-440 burn out after 15 years of pretty hard use.
(I'm nowhere near a professional but I live on 20 acres and have a ton of dead ash that I've been processing since the Emerald Ash Borer moved in)

Last month I bought a Stihl 261 with full chisel chains. Makes the Echo look like a toy.

But as always with a new toy I'm overly paranoid to take the utmost care.

I measure out the exact 100ml of oil to the exact 5 litres of premium gas.

My question is;

How much play in the measurements is acceptable?

Andrew

Hi guys,
I just had an Echo CS-440 burn out after 15 years of pretty hard use.
(I'm nowhere near a professional but I live on 20 acres and have a ton of dead ash that I've been processing since the Emerald Ash Borer moved in)

Last month I bought a Stihl 261 with full chisel chains. Makes the Echo look like a toy.

But as always with a new toy I'm overly paranoid to take the utmost care.

I measure out the exact 100ml of oil to the exact 5 litres of premium gas.

My question is;

How much play in the measurements is acceptable?

Andrew

Try running 100ml in 4 litres (40/1)of premium pure gasoline. Your 261 beast will love you for it.

Try to be as exact as possible.

My local small engine repair guy said the same thing.
When I bought the Stihl I asked the salesman about that.
He said if you don't use the exact measurement of 50:1 it'll void my warranty.
He went on to say they would be able to tell if it was run lean or with too much oil.
He gave me a 2 year warranty which I thought was pretty good.

I'm using the mini Still bottles of oil they gave me but I'll switch back to my Canadian Tire jug of 2 stroke oil when i run out.

Is the bulk 2 stroke oil good or harmful?
(again, I burned out the Echo but I'm not sure if it burned out because of what it was or something else. I know the Echo wasn't a real heavy duty saw)

My local small engine repair guy said the same thing.
When I bought the Stihl I asked the salesman about that.
He said if you don't use the exact measurement of 50:1 it'll void my warranty.
He went on to say they would be able to tell if it was run lean or with too much oil.
He gave me a 2 year warranty which I thought was pretty good.

I'm using the mini Still bottles of oil they gave me but I'll switch back to my Canadian Tire jug of 2 stroke oil when i run out.

Is the bulk 2 stroke oil good or harmful?
(again, I burned out the Echo but I'm not sure if it burned out because of what it was or something else. I know the Echo wasn't a real heavy duty saw)
They won’t be able to tell if you’re running 40:1 or 50:1

Buy the highest quality 2 stroke oil you can afford :)

You may find this link helpful :)
I have used it for 25:1 32:1 and 40:1
http://www.premixcalculator.com/
Thanks for the website for the ratios.
It'll come in handy down the road.
But my question was leaning more toward how exact I have to be.
If I have 105ml of oil to 5 litres of gas is that going to screw things up.

I guess I'm asking how much wiggle room there would before the gas and the oil.

Thanks for the website for the ratios.
It'll come in handy down the road.
But my question was leaning more toward how exact I have to be.

I guess I'm asking how much wiggle room there would before the gas and the oil.
There is marginal wiggle room to a degree but the more accurate you are the better.
Tuning is what’s really important here.
I think most people use 40:1 or 50:1 some use 32:1.
I have come to realise there is far too much emphasis on ratios and for decades oil threads have never lead to anything other than either being in agreement with someone who’s ratio reflects yours or disagreement if they don’t. Not just here but on motorcross and just about any other 2 stroke forum.
Using quality synthetic oil, you can run anything from 32:1 to 50:1 no problem, but it must be tuned correctly. I have read that people that work their saws hard for much longer times loggers etc, they tend to run more oil which results in more lubricity.
If you are a tiny drop over or under it won’t be an issue. In fact converting imperial to metric measurements are different quantities anyway.

They're not that picky, a huge range of oil ratios is just fine. I wouldn't go any leaner than 50:1, and would make sure any errors are on the side of rich, but don't bother getting out the laboratory pipette to make sure you're dead-on.

A much bigger concern is learning to tune your saw properly by ear, paying attention to the tune so you know when it's off, and then tuning for whatever mix/fuel/altitude/weather/etc you're cutting in. This will save you far more grief than making sure you're running 50:1 instead of 49.8825:1 or 50.2267:1.

How is 50:1 in either measure different? 50:1 is 50:1 no matter what.
I didn’t say 50:1 isn’t 50:1. The conversion from the imperial market offering to the metric market offering of these products from the rounding done by the manufactures creates small discrepancies.

People in the USA buy and measure in imperial and the manufactures automatically round, the discrepancy is a a few ml’s max when compared to the metric equivalent, but that was the gentleman’s concern:

again, no it won’t :)

If you know someone that works in the medical field, try to get some sample cups or pill cups, etc. My cousin is a physical therapist and she asked if I had any use for some of them. When I saw them I knew they'd work great for 2 cycle oil. I fill up to or just over the 3 ounce line and I'm good with 1 gallon of gasoline.
c97a67f60d7fa0fa570a7df37c1197e2.jpg
257b018984bd5e6ff3198731cb91718e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

This isn’t rocket science. 50:1, 42.66:1, 40:1, 32:1, take your pick, they will all run your saw safely.
:surprised3::omg: Now you are in for it. Oil threads go down hill fast. Agree with you through, I use 40 drops of gas mixed with one drop of oil, just kidding.

What's more important than ratio is type of oil. I use Makita/Dolmar synthetic at 40:1 with non-ethanol fuel. Simply put, that combo is the best available protection for your saw.:havingarest:
You cannot be using that, because that's what I have been using. Will now have to change to 39 drops to 1, safer. Makita/Dolmar looks, smells and tasted just like Husky XP synthetic, bottles even look very similar. Good stuff, wish I had purchased more when it was cheap or am I missing it somewhere?

You got 15 years of 'hard use' out of your ECHO; I'd say that was pretty good.

As far as your fuel mix, chainsaws run at higher revs, and hotter temps, than some other 2-cycle engines, so buy the good mix oil, whether it is in the single unit (1 -100ml bottle / 5 liters gas), or larger sizes (1 liter +) that you mix yourself. But buy stuff specifically intended to be used in chainsaws, not stuff sold for outboard motors, snowmobiles, etc.

You can pick up a small, graduated cylinder for measuring. It is often difficult to accurately measure small amounts, so a lot of folks recommend mixing up a gallon (or 5 liters) at a time.

Your gasoline is also important. STIHL recommends minimum 89 octane. Gasoline without ethanol is also recommended.
https://en.stihl.ca/oils-and-lubricants.aspxhttps://www.stihlusa.com/information/articles/gasoline-guidelines-outdoor-power-equipment/
Remember that gasoline at the pump is intended for cars, not chainsaws, and has additives that can break down over time. I put a tag on my fuel can with the date the gas is purchased, and pour it into my car if not used up in 30 days. Might be a bit overprotective, but it works for me, and I don't have to worry about it.

If you are only using small amounts of fuel, consider the pre-mixed stuff, which is expensive by volume, but convenient, and pretty safe.

MS261 is a nice saw. Keep the chains sharp to keep it running cooler too!

Phiblert

You cannot be using that, because that's what I have been using. Will now have to change to 39 drops to 1, safer. Makita/Dolmar looks, smells and tasted just like Husky XP synthetic, bottles even look very similar. Good stuff, wish I had purchased more when it was cheap or am I missing it somewhere?
Nope. I bought a case when it was on ebay. Split it with Dad. I've only got a couple bottles left before I have to buy some back from him.

Id say you would be safe with a 5% error in your ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back