EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just what I thought.. more of your same old same old.. you keep spouting a lot of crap, but have said nothing & shown nothing.. rule of thumb is 1/3 the diameter.. why??? save the bull ####t and answer the question if you can...

I said sex was not on there ENOUGH. Also there is a difference between timber falling and timber felling. Those who know will weed them out. The list is still bull####.

Well if you are a logger you spend a lot of time in the woods with men, who are you having all that sex with? Can you educate me on the timber felling and timber falling difference?

Just what I thought.. more of your same old same old.. you keep spouting a lot of crap, but have said nothing & shown nothing.. rule of thumb is 1/3 the diameter.. why??? save the bull ####t and answer the question if you can...

You ask a good question there and all my teachers never told me why so I had to go to the mountain and the man on top wasn't all that sure either.

But if you need to know it has to do with hinge length. A proprer and safe hinge should be 80% the diameter of the tree, with simple math 33% of the diameter will leave you with a hing that is 80% of the diameter.

So when I questioned; why your notch was so shallow? You come back at me with the above question, a misdirection I think, to take the heat of of a poor notch.

Just imagine what would have happened if you cut you notch right in the first place, the tree might of hinged instead of breaking off at the ground.

Last edited:
Well if you are a logger you spend a lot of time in the woods with men, who are you having all that sex with? Can you educate me on the timber felling and timber falling difference?

Well, I log alone. I've got number 5 on the way and I'm not even 30 yet. Same lady too if you can believe that in this day and age. Obviously you're a little uptight pal. Seems the majority with your bunch. Felling reeks of bore cuts and hammers for wedge pounding. A lot of unnecessary crap to make it look more technical. Timber falling is fluidity, finesse, the art of movement. Physics. Common sense. Swinging trees instead of wedging. Keeping the wood intact and knowing how. Laying out tree after tree and making it look easy.

Well, I log alone. I've got number 5 on the way and I'm not even 30 yet. Same lady too if you can believe that in this day and age. Obviously you're a little uptight pal. Seems the majority with your bunch. Felling reeks of bore cuts and hammers for wedge pounding. A lot of unnecessary crap to make it look more technical. Timber falling is fluidity, finesse, the art of movement. Physics. Common sense. Swinging trees instead of wedging. Keeping the wood intact and knowing how. Laying out tree after tree and making it look easy.

Nah man I am not uptight at all just having a little fun is all... I agree 100% on the felling definition and do not pretend to have the felling knowledge of TRUE fellers who get paid big money for their ability to lay a monster log down in a tight spot and not smash it to pieces. But then again you are standing on the ground so how hard can it be?:poke::fart::buttkick:

Last edited:
You ask a good question there and all my teachers never told me why so I had to go to the mountain and the man on top wasn't all that sure either.

But if you need to know it has to do with hinge length. A proprer and safe hinge should be 80% the diameter of the tree, with simple math 33% of the diameter will leave you with a hing that is 80% of the diameter.

So when I questioned; why your notch was so shallow? You come back at me with the above question, a misdirection I think, to take the heat of of a poor notch.

Just imagine what would have happened if you cut you notch right in the first place, the tree might of hinged instead of breaking off at the ground.

Whoops.. check that milbill... the standard has been changed from 1/3 depth to 80%, especially for cases where the tree is not round etc.. So the new standard is 1/3 the depth or as deep as needed to make the hinge 80% diameter of the tree. So now the question is why does the hinge need to be 80% the diameter of the tree? I'd appreciate it if you give LXT the chance to show us if he knows or not..

Explain that math Millbilly, it makes little sense to me, maybe it is Arb speak to baffle us commoners.

When felling a full tree, avoid cutting the notch deeper than 33 percent of the diameter of the tree at the cut. Often it is not even necessary for the face notch to be made one-third, or 33 percent, deep to establish a hinge length that is 80 percent the diameter of the tree. On the other hand, some situations, such as notable side lean, may justify a longer hinge length.

That being said if you have a 10 inch diameter tree you make your notch 3.3 inchs your hinge will be just shy of 9 inchs or almost 90% of the diameter leaving you with an acceptable length of hinge wood. I had to draw a circle on paper and measure it' Like I said i didn't know the answer, untill someone can tell me a better reason for making the notch 1/3 the diameter. It could have something to do with the compression of wood fiber, for all I know

What I do know is that if his notch would have been 1/3 the diameter there would have been less wood to break and the tree might have followed his notch.

Nah man I am not uptight at all just having a little fun is all... I agree 100% on the felling definition and do not pretend to have the felling knowledge of TRUE fellers who get paid big money for their ability to lay a monster log down in a tight spot and not smash it to pieces. But then again you are standing on the ground so how hard can it be?:poke::fart::buttkick:

Well the difference is I do it everyday. Rain, wind, snow, freezing rain, cold, hot, whatever. You are constantly racing the sun. Pushing. Production. Dealing with #### droppin out of the sky, binds that will kill you, spring poles that will knock your head off every few minutes. Over and over again. The environment is that much less forgiving. No ropes, no safeties. I've done both.

All I was doing was trying to get a tee-hee at really no ones expense. Right away someones gotta stick their #### in the mash potatoes. And by the way its fallers not fellers.

When felling a full tree, avoid cutting the notch deeper than 33 percent of the diameter of the tree at the cut. Often it is not even necessary for the face notch to be made one-third, or 33 percent, deep to establish a hinge length that is 80 percent the diameter of the tree. On the other hand, some situations, such as notable side lean, may justify a longer hinge length.

That being said if you have a 10 inch diameter tree you make your notch 3.3 inchs your hinge will be just shy of 9 inchs or almost 90% of the diameter leaving you with an acceptable length of hinge wood. I had to draw a circle on paper and measure it' Like I said i didn't know the answer, untill someone can tell me a better reason for making the notch 1/3 the diameter. It could have something to do with the compression of wood fiber, for all I know

What I do know is that if his notch would have been 1/3 the diameter there would have been less wood to break and the tree might have followed his notch.

What tree are you talking about???

Seems my first impression was correct, Arbs are full of ####.

Seems my first impression was correct, Arbs are full of ####.

Especially Arbs from Philly...!

Murph no definition I give regarding notching would please a knowit all like you, why dont you tell us oh great one? after all you make the vids & are the self proclaimed "special" cuts master....:dizzy:

Truthfully a notch can vary depending on the tree & I highly doubt any "true" tree guy sticks to the 1/3rd/80% rule!

Now Murph why dont you tell us about that 4th edition reading????? you wanna say Im full of crap & spout off....? I take that with a grain of salt coming from a LIAR like you!!! I have seen guys like you come & go while working for the big companies cause you think you knowit all & no one is any good but you....so you types quit & go start your own biz fueled by your ability to BS people well all the while having very little knowledge of anything you do...........A typical Farmer could do the tree work & has done the tree work you promote yourself doing.

to engage you Murph with any reasoning or definition would only have an excuse, spin or other form of BS reciprocated back & we all have seen your videos..................isnt that enough??? :laugh:

LXT..............

That's a bit of a generalization eh? How about this one... people talk a lot of #### online.... LXT comes to mind... he can't even answer a simple question about the most basic skill in his profession...

Ill make a deal with ya Murph......you tell us about that 4th edition reading you talked about @ the TB & Ill give you that answer to the most basic skill in our profession....!!!

How bout it? :dizzy: Ya see folks Im willing to bet this conversation drops off after this post or ole Murph will put a spin on it to cover up his obvious LIE.........that might tarnish his knowit all portrayal in this field & make him perceived as the village idiot...!

Ill have no problem providing the definition that you want murph....but it`ll be a different story for you, UH? Btw...what definition do you want Murph? all of em or do you want me to go by the a certain text in providing such definition?

this oughtta be gooooooood

LXT...............

Wow another pissing match with Murph thread that has made 11 pages so far.....There are so many more creative and interesting threads, never mind the ones where people are seeking information or knoweledge. I know I know 'he who casts the first stone.....' I am guilty too, But I think for 2012 we should put our energy/efforts into a positive and useful direction.

O.K. I'm finished you may resume the stoning.....

my statement about having read Gilman's 4th edition was a simple mistake.. I have two copies of his book with different covers, I thought one was the third edition and one was the fourth.. when I realized he hasn't put out a fourth edition I checked the library and one of my books was the second edition and the other is missing.. You want to make a big deal about that? cause that's all you got...

Wow another pissing match with Murph thread that has made 11 pages so far.....There are so many more creative and interesting threads, never mind the ones where people are seeking information or knoweledge. I know I know 'he who casts the first stone.....' I am guilty too, But I think for 2012 we should put our energy/efforts into a positive and useful direction.

O.K. I'm finished you may resume the stoning.....

I can agree on that, but more than anything & if you follow Murph`s slew of hash (which is just a blackeye for tree care) you would understand, Funny how Murph was on this thread just a bit ago, made some posts & once again let his canary mouth overlaod his betterside.

I knew Murph wouldnt take that deal I made him...........why? he`s so good at putting a spin on things.....but cant put a spin on an obvious lie, which shows me that in his biz practice he would be no better & far worse cause the normal home owner doesnt know any better, so when you come onto a public forum & make a false statement......an obvious easily detected lie, what is he capable of when its not easily detected???

The sad thing is......anyone of us can search online & find the reason/definition for the question he asks, I asked what definition cause depending on the publication each author has their own little add on/take away for the "proper" procedure & the reason why their method should be used!!! Funny a guy who makes a Vid titled "extreme precision falling" needs a basic definition posted for him?

LXT...............

my statement about having read Gilman's 4th edition was a simple mistake.. I have two copies of his book with different covers, I thought one was the third edition and one was the fourth.. when I realized he hasn't put out a fourth edition I checked the library and one of my books was the second edition and the other is missing.. You want to make a big deal about that? cause that's all you got...

Come on Murph...........mistake my AZZ, you not only claimed to have read it but claimed to have called & talked to him.....you held steadfast on that statement until a TB member stuffed ya on it!!!!

Now you come on here & put a spin on it, just like that tree you dropped that went wrong which during the narrative after the fact you make excuse after excuse for yourself & your actions.........If you truly have Gilmans publications & have read them, stayed up to date on his works then you would know there was no 4th edition & it just took you this long to make another excuse to retract your failed attempt & stupidity!!

You sure didnt come back @ the TB...............funny you say "when I realized", Like you had to check & see cause you werent sure? You are in the true sense of the word a fabricating bull #### er............I have no use for your type: something goes wrong..make an excuse!, caught in a lie..make an excuse! every thing for you is an excuse & thats what people who dont know what the HELL their doing.....DO!

LXT....................

I can agree on that, but more than anything & if you follow Murph`s slew of hash (which is just a blackeye for tree care) you would understand, Funny how Murph was on this thread just a bit ago, made some posts & once again let his canary mouth overlaod his betterside.

I knew Murph wouldnt take that deal I made him...........why? he`s so good at putting a spin on things.....but cant put a spin on an obvious lie, which shows me that in his biz practice he would be no better & far worse cause the normal home owner doesnt know any better, so when you come onto a public forum & make a false statement......an obvious easily detected lie, what is he capable of when its not easily detected???

The sad thing is......anyone of us can search online & find the reason/definition for the question he asks, I asked what definition cause depending on the publication each author has their own little add on/take away for the "proper" procedure & the reason why their method should be used!!! Funny a guy who makes a Vid titled "extreme precision falling" needs a basic definition posted for him?

LXT...............

That little Murph guy isn't much of a tree guy, but he would make a really good used car salesman. :rock:

when I questioned; why your notch was so shallow? You come back at me with the above question, a misdirection I think, to take the heat of of a poor notch.

Awesome post & Now another member is enlightened by how this jester works!!! Imagine.....theres the word, Imagine that his videos (proclaimed instructional) are being played & studied by some poor noob.... SCARY!!!!!!!!

LXT..................

Latest posts

Back