Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crummys are so last year!

IMGP0001-3.jpg

IMGP0004-3.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Walking a tree around?

I show up with my little camera and things do not go smoothly. First, they wanted to trade for a bigger tree. I said NO.

The guy who is talking who you will not see is a semi-retired logger and is in the same skill class as my insurance agent. His nephew is the one driving the wedges.

The little tree wanted to go over onto the road. The road is a paved two lane and there was no equipment to skid it off with. So, they worked on it. The two were working together because they ran out of room in the unit. I had to go paint more skid trails out after this tree went.

Here we go.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CJWn5qd36ys?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CJWn5qd36ys?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The sound is good, but sometimes I can't get it in focus. It is a GE (General Electric) with a super zoom on it. Got it at K-Mart. I had never heard of GE cameras.

Here's a out of focus normal tree. Note he's using one arm. And waiting for the other guy to get out of the danger zone.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IYccIS-WqQY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

In the first video seemed like a lot of fanagling to me. Was the tree limb locked? They just kept making kerfs in the far side to get it to sit down that way? Almost like a dutch that you keep clearing out. I would guess that would put a lot of pressure on the fibers. What kind of tree was that? Obviously got the job done though. Small timber can be a real pita sometimes. I'd like to see more.

Thanks Patty! Good video.

Last edited:
One arm ??!!!?? Oh, no...not that! OMG! Doesn't he know that if you don't keep a white-knuckled death grip on the saw with both hands at all times terrible things might happen? Tsk...the GOL advocates would just never approve. I hope, in your role of Faller Harrasser, you gave the lad a good talking to.

But...if you're on a long cut, falling or bucking, how else can you get smoke going or a pinch of snoose? Or scratch yourself? Or....well, never mind.

In the first video seemed like a lot of fanagling to me. Was the tree limb locked? They just kept making kerfs in the far side to get it to sit down that way? Almost like a dutch that you keep clearing out. I would guess that would put a lot of pressure on the fibers. What kind of tree was that? Obviously got the job done though. Small timber can be a real pita sometimes. I'd like to see more.

Thanks Patty! Good video.

Yes, it was limb locked and had a bit of a lean towards the road. If I had kept my camera on, you would have heard the guy running the saw say, "A video on how NOT to fall a tree."

The tree was a Douglas-fir. They are thinning it. The next step sounds like they plan to bunch it with a shovel, and they'll grapple skid it out, if the soil holds up. It is pretty wet in there, and we scared our head ranger by joking that Swamp Loggers was coming to film that unit being logged. :devil:

Yes, it was limb locked and had a bit of a lean towards the road. If I had kept my camera on, you would have heard the guy running the saw say, "A video on how NOT to fall a tree."

The tree was a Douglas-fir. They are thinning it. The next step sounds like they plan to bunch it with a shovel, and they'll grapple skid it out, if the soil holds up. It is pretty wet in there, and we scared our head ranger by joking that Swamp Loggers was coming to film that unit being logged. :devil:

Yeah that makes sense. Not that I've ever done my share of fanagling or anything.

I can't believe the reckless abandon with which the guy in the second vid runs his saw. Anyone who has never had to cut with one arm while the rest of their body is running away hasn't spent enough time out there. That and it just plain looks cool. How else am I supposed to text my little lady at home all day when I'm out in the woods?

One of the places I learned about trees, was a Sitka stand. All were about 24" dia. close together and tall. They would try to hold eachother up, lots of sitting back and other things. I learned the back cut first thing there, well I was shown how it worked, getting it to work was another story. I was also taught what I called the "helicopter cut", you finished the cut in such a way, that the tree would readily spin off it's nieghbors and reduce getting hung up.
As for the one armed sawing, I haven't had to do it much, probably won't. Often what seems to be insanity, is what is required to do the job. I have seen the casually insane in action, it's not easy to know what is needed and what is showing off.

Great vids, keep them coming. If anybody is looking for a new camera I would suggest the Kodak Playsport. It shoots in HD as well as it is waterproof up to 3m (~10ft) so you don't have to be over-protective of it getting wet. The vid I posted a few pages back was shot with one. The video itself kinda sucks (gf was filming) but the sound and picture on those cameras are pretty good for as inexpensive as they are!

Great vids, keep them coming. If anybody is looking for a new camera I would suggest the Kodak Playsport. It shoots in HD as well as it is waterproof up to 3m (~10ft) so you don't have to be over-protective of it getting wet. The vid I posted a few pages back was shot with one. The video itself kinda sucks (gf was filming) but the sound and picture on those cameras are pretty good for as inexpensive as they are!

I've heard those are good for the price.

I have a Flip Ultra HD video camera. Not too bad for $200. Comes with a built in editing software.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ml9i52dZFZ0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Nice vid!

Good to see I'm not the only one that sound a bit excited when a challenging one hits the ground right where it was supposed to. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back