Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some fine vids on You tube...

Square filing isn't so bad, biggest thing is to keep the corner in the corner and file it backwards, at a downward angle... Wasn't very good at hand filing square, ended up getting an old simington grinder... watch your angles they are very important, make both sides match, and clean out the gullets every now and then with a round file, chips get packed in there and slow the whole works down.

I've tried it with both the "flat" and the more triangle files, bout the same really, seems like the triangle held up better, just keep in mind that your trying to file three things with every swipe, side plate, top plate, and keep a sharp corner, getting the corner off one way or the other has a huge effect on the way it cuts, and how long it stays sharp.

Round file is pretty cut and dried, just shove it through with alittle back pressure and stop worrying.

There's a point of chain life vs speed. You can make a real fast cutting chain that if you're tree length cutting might work if it last 2 tanks before it's wood dull. You can make it last in the harder woods with more blunt angles.
thats prolly about where i am at here.......cuts like mad for about 1 load [8 trees] then im fileing again.
Glad u mentioned that treeslayer, since he brought it up, how do u pros file, I just use round file but would love to learn how to square file??
i am still new to square fileing........if you get it right you'll love it and not want to go back. if ya get it wrong, you'll want to forget the whole thing lol.
i still use round on my topping and landing saws, just to much dirt to be useing square for that. there are tricks to round as well and a really good round file is a nice cutting chain.

I will be the first to admit, at square filing, I flat out stink. I can gimp through if there isn't much of the day left. Start the day with fresh chain and have some spares in your bag. Touch up I can do some, more than that I swap and get to work. Working in rocky nasty dirty conditions, round file is the way to go, good sharp round doesn't lag to far behind fresh square. It will last better also.

Owl

There are some fine vids on You tube...

Square filing isn't so bad, biggest thing is to keep the corner in the corner and file it backwards, at a downward angle... Wasn't very good at hand filing square, ended up getting an old simington grinder... watch your angles they are very important, make both sides match, and clean out the gullets every now and then with a round file, chips get packed in there and slow the whole works down.

I've tried it with both the "flat" and the more triangle files, bout the same really, seems like the triangle held up better, just keep in mind that your trying to file three things with every swipe, side plate, top plate, and keep a sharp corner, getting the corner off one way or the other has a huge effect on the way it cuts, and how long it stays sharp.

Round file is pretty cut and dried, just shove it through with alittle back pressure and stop worrying.
i couldn't do much with the triangle file.......wound up with beaks that dulled fast. i like the save edge bevel file best. i had some vallorbe with straight across teeth, they didn't last long at all.

I will be the first to admit, at square filing, I flat out stink. I can gimp through if there isn't much of the day left. Start the day with fresh chain and have some spares in your bag. Touch up I can do some, more than that I swap and get to work. Working in rocky nasty dirty conditions, round file is the way to go, good sharp round doesn't lag to far behind fresh square. It will last better also.

Owl
i couldn't do it at all untill i figured out i couldn't see the corner with out reading glasses...........................i gotta reniew mah licsence this year and go to eye doc first......oh joy.....

The grinder is a gods send... 5-10 minutes to a really ****ing sharp chain, plus a few if'n I gotta hit the riders, more for the gullets, but the gullets and riders only need hit every third sharpening or so.

Carry an extra in my wedge pouch if I'm going to be more then a casual walk to the crummy, but usually get a day to a chain.

Get yourself a good grinder. They are about the same price as a good saw but will last a lifetime (if no one steals it). It will change your whole career as a timber faller.
When cutting production I usually start with a sharp chain on my saw and six in my pack.
I rarely have needed six but just don't want to run out.
Just as soon as it starts to slow down I change it. This really increases production and reduces fatigue and since you are not even pushing a little bit on the saw reduces bar wear and hitting the ground.
Since you didn't rock your chain it sharpens fast with just a touch of the stone.
Since it sharpens fast you won't mind sharpening full comp chain so your saw will cut faster so you can make more money.
I used to run full skip and an 8 tooth drive sprocket. Now I cut faster with full comp and 7 tooth sprocket. With less bar wear, especially the tip.

I sure do wish there was a square grinder available at a reasonable price. With Silvey gone, even the Simingtons are about a grand a pop now, and they're clearly not as nice a machine. Oregon are really doing themselves a disservice selling the chain but no grinder.

I sure do wish there was a square grinder available at a reasonable price. With Silvey gone, even the Simingtons are about a grand a pop now, and they're clearly not as nice a machine. Oregon are really doing themselves a disservice selling the chain but no grinder.
I agree! You wana go half in on a grinder? I'll sharpen six months worth of chain then ship it to you for the other half of the year.

Wonder if the patents are up on the Silvey products are up if so I've got a pro sharp with the cable fix that has been done we could get specs off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if the patents are up on the Silvey products are up if so I've got a pro sharp with the cable fix that has been done we could get specs off of.

It wouldn't matter if you copied any of the grinders fir yourself. I bet it would be cost prohibitive though.

A guys better off watching CL for a used one.

Could try at the very least the prices are getting nuts of everything without the price of logs going up with what they cost at the same time. Mine was bought by my dad picked up at the oregon logging show for 1200 new.

Taint much to em, if a guy wanted to build one for hisself, after looking at mine a little while it could probably be reproduced with some basic welding skills and a bench top mill, or with some exter talent just a drill press.

Steel the motor off a cheapo round grinder, mount it vertical and have at.

The main thing is if Jack still had the patents out for them or not.

When my pro sharp Jack said he was retiring they were in their late 60's from what I saw. I'd love to see others have the same quality, same as the jacks that the guy is making.

Cut some good pine today. This was most of one tree
Looks like a good one! If ya ever get into any big pine sticks and ya need a hand let me know! I could be there in 5-6 hours! I've never cut a decent one.

The soft maple swamp I'm cuttin right now is goin to mush. This weather is ******** down here. How's it going up there?

Back