Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on, bitzer, if you did a little euro falling, you could ditch the gas guzzling big saw with the heavy power robbing time consuming long bar and extra cutters for a smaller short bar saw and save all kind of filing/grinding time and fatigue which together will give you more time and energy to cut flares. Plus an average of six more logs a year. Sounds like a win-win. Almost as good as the mythological perpetual motion machine.

Ron

PS to my previous post. Kidding aside to quote my contractor when I was trying to save money building my house by cutting out sub-contractors, “It’s pretty hard to beat a man at his own game.” A lot of truth in what he said. Applies here as well. What works/pays in one type of logging might not in another.

Good techniques are usually developed over the course of time by those making a living at it. Especially by those willing to challenge convention by trying something different and survive to evaluate it. From what I see, I believe bitzer and a few others are among the willing.

Thanks Ron! I bought a 372xp w/24" bar for my uncle this past spring. It got all the guys in the saw shop talking. They thought I'd gone soft.

As far as new techniques and trying new things, nearly every day I try a different cut, this or that, on at least one tree. If you fall into a rut your production will too. You have to test yourself everyday. I dont mean taking extra risks, but I can tell when my production goes stagnant and I know it's time for something new. Keeps things fresh and me thinking. Every job is different and can be approached differently.

I moved out of the hills and into the swamps last week. That's a shell shock. Production hopped up without even trying. It took a day or so to get into full out swamp mode. It's just how you move thru the wood with saw and machine that makes the difference.

out of curiosity, I tried out a full comp chain 32" on ye ole 461 just cause I've never put one on a long bar

Loads up a bit so you really can't dog in and get some on a big tree.

But limbing sure goes faster now.

right until I rocked the snot out of it... couldn't even bump a toe kicker after that

I'll grind it to chisel when I gets some daylight and see how it does then, was a round ground chain, cause the saw shop didn't have any full chisel for me.

When I started running a 32" I ran full comp on it. Unless you've got the drags nearly level to the teeth you'll bind up every time you lean a little on it. Not real conducive to chasing backcuts in hard wood. Going to skip was a game changer for me.

Not sure the stocks were spruce. Here is what I found regarding spruce Winchesters: https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/1x91gw/as_requested_my_wwi_levergat_winchester_model/

Ron

I believe there was an article in "American Rifleman" a few years back about the "Spruce guns" but it did not involve stock material. Personally I have seen a lot of maple, cherry, myrtlewood, mesquite, apple as well as birch and walnut.. Figured maple was a favorite of the Kentucky longrifles. Article in AR a few years back about Cecil Brooks and the trees that he picked up to make the NRA presentation gun every year.

When I started running a 32" I ran full comp on it. Unless you've got the drags nearly level to the teeth you'll bind up every time you lean a little on it. Not real conducive to chasing backcuts in hard wood. Going to skip was a game changer for me.

Yeah, haven't thrown this one on the grinder yet and turned it into a chisel chain, so I will find out in a few days. Sure was nice for limbing though

out of curiosity, I tried out a full comp chain 32" on ye ole 461 just cause I've never put one on a long bar

Loads up a bit so you really can't dog in and get some on a big tree.

But limbing sure goes faster now.

right until I rocked the snot out of it... couldn't even bump a toe kicker after that

I'll grind it to chisel when I gets some daylight and see how it does then, was a round ground chain, cause the saw shop didn't have any full chisel for me.
full comp seems to pack up with chips for me felling thicker fir ,works real good in alder ,i have a couple loops of half skip .404 try finding that at the sawshop.stuff is good in betweener ,clears the fir not bad ,then limbs similar to full comp.

Yeah, haven't thrown this one on the grinder yet and turned it into a chisel chain, so I will find out in a few days. Sure was nice for limbing though

I knew a bunch of guys that cut full time with full comp. I've run several full comp chains bushlin and day waging. It's not my thing but they loved the stuff.
I always subscribed to the opinion that . You(me,anyone) can't get a full comp any sharper than a full skip. But it will get twice as dull.
I've also watched " the cool guys" = full comp braggerds, get Hung like a big dog in big red cedar. With their better than my chains. It was a good laugh bucking them out with my full skip 404. :numberone:;) .
They could cut limbs like a sumbi--- tho.
Thing is. Cuttin yarder and shovel ground . It never paid to cut too many limbs. :rolleyes:
I know your processing more fully. But semi skip is the best all around.
Another thing I lernt from Jack Jodry. Way back when I wore 34 waist rigging pants.

I knew a bunch of guys that cut full time with full comp. I've run several full comp chains bushlin and day waging. It's not my thing but they loved the stuff.
I always subscribed to the opinion that . You(me,anyone) can't get a full comp any sharper than a full skip. But it will get twice as dull.
I've also watched " the cool guys" = full comp braggerds, get Hung like a big dog in big red cedar. With their better than my chains. It was a good laugh bucking them out with my full skip 404. :numberone:;) .
They could cut limbs like a sumbi--- tho.
Thing is. Cuttin yarder and shovel ground . It never paid to cut too many limbs. :rolleyes:
I know your processing more fully. But semi skip is the best all around.
Another thing I lernt from Jack Jodry. Way back when I wore 34 waist rigging pants.
Finding semi skip on a shelf around here is problematic, i did pick up a roll of full comp fer durt cheap today though, had to shovel the dust off to read the specs

Finding semi skip on a shelf around here is problematic, i did pick up a roll of full comp fer durt cheap today though, had to shovel the dust off to read the specs
We use to get rolls of it through Madsen's then Woods down here keeps it in stock for a few of us, .63 gauge 3/8 semi skip chisel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Full hundred foot roll ?
What kind of $$ is durt cheap these days ??.
If u resist the urge to take down your riders often. It will work fine. Even in red cedar. If you clean the kerf often. You can get by . it will also not get lumpy like full skip does when 1 or 2 teeth get banged.
But, you Will be spending more time grinding each evening. :cool:

Full hundred foot roll ?
What kind of $$ is durt cheap these days ??.
If u resist the urge to take down your riders often. It will work fine. Even in red cedar. If you clean the kerf often. You can get by . it will also not get lumpy like full skip does when 1 or 2 teeth get banged.
But, you Will be spending more time grinding each evening. :cool:
Last 100' was around 270 that was a few years ago, it's cheap considering a 50' roll of 11H(3/4) a few weeks back was around 350.

I need to get a few hundred feet of 3/8s and 404 chain.
It would be AWESOME to stumble into a couple rolls of Oregon 52 AK.
And even more better to find some rolls of Oregon 75 CKX Dura Pro . the wide kerf chain.
Last I checked 404 full skip chisel was running over $4 a foot.
I haven't seen too many guys running 404 other then the 0.80 stuff for the harvesters and it seems like a 3 something.

Back