Firewood Saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man...

If you could find yourself a 044 you'd be in heaven dude. For these parts the 044/440 is the perfect all around firewood saw. I know about 3/4 of the loggers over here in the daks' still run those... That being said, since you cut pretty much everything I do. I guess I'd go this way... I'd find myself a Dolmar PS-6400, maybe around $500. After a few months or whenever you decide you need more UMPH you can buy a piston/cylinder for it to turn it into a ps-7900. In 15 min you can swap a p/c on one of those and go from a 4.8hp saw to a 6.3hp saw for future plans when you get another medium sized saw. It's still pretty light, 14# and you can then start with a 20" bar, which is what I cut with mostly, or slap a 28" bar on it for bigger stuff. The Jreds are good for smaller stuff, but even they recommend .325 chain, which everyone knows that when dropping medium sized hardwoods those little .325 bars pinch and bend really easy. Sorry to say, the little 50cc saws are lacking in the lower region for cutting 20" beech and maples. You can cut them, I've done it with my little 510, but do you really want to wait that long on it?? NO, you want a saw with some grunt. Get as close to 5hp as you can for the buck. $500 or so will get you about 5hp with the 6400, and you can upgrade for $120 to a 6.3hp saw when your ready bro. Your ever over near plattsburgh lemme know and I'll let you run the 7900/5100/510 in some logs. Those old Jreds are only turning 9000 rpms, the Dolmar's are ALL turning well over 13,000. Get your 2 saw plan in one shot. 6400 says me.

:cheers: :clap:

The 346XP is a fine choice. Then keep those eyes peeled looking for a used 70 something. WDO

if want to ga the one saw plan for now i would suggest a 2156 j-red.
if youre going with a two saw plan a j-red 2153 ( supposed to an excellent saw) and a dolmar ( 6400, 7300 or 7900!!! ) later.
good luck and happy cutting.
ps what part of VT are you from?
:cheers:

Id say dolmar 6400, or makita 6401. Best bang for the buck. Awesome saws. And easily upgradable. And inexpensive for their features.

6401 Makita

Id say dolmar 6400, or makita 6401. Best bang for the buck. Awesome saws. And easily upgradable. And inexpensive for their features.

+1 I have a makita that i've done some minor modifications to (that'll come later if you hang around here) and it straight rips! I would recommend that saw as your best all around saw for the money. I've tested other brands in that weight and displacement and the makita win hands down. You'll cut a crap pile of wood in no time!

Resist the temptation to get a saw that's smaller than what you really need. Since Jonsered is well-represented in your area, I would get a 2165 as a do-anything firewood saw. Alternatively, you could go with a 2159 or Stihl MS361.

Off topic

How is it that all the Jreds are only turning 9000 rpms??? Is this actually right? Orrrrr... Those are just husky's, they turn the 13 or 14k rpms... Somebody???

:popcorn:

How is it that all the Jreds are only turning 9000 rpms??? Is this actually right? Orrrrr... Those are just husky's, they turn the 13 or 14k rpms... Somebody???

:popcorn:

Looks like you refer to a mix of max power rpms and max allowed rpms.

Even my 1970 vintage 621 has max allowed rpms well above 10K - the current ones is in the 13-14K plus range.....

The Stihl with an 18 inch Bar comes in right at $400.

If you have the support, its a great saw. If you want to hedge a bit the MS280 at the same weight gets you a bit more hp, but I don't think its worth the cost increase ( frankly its so little hp increase that I wood (pun) standardize on one or the other and sell it for the 270 price. What you do get with the 270 is an overbuilt saw with good hp to power ratio, and a pro lively anti vibration system.

Its more a matter of what hp you need for the wood, not the so called saw rating.

If you have a good Jonesred dealer that support you then that's a good way to go, but you have to sometimes pay a big jump in price as the line is not as extensive (going with the idea one size larger than is called for ensures you are always covered)

Keep in mind the feel of the saw is important, I like the Stihls, and we have good delaer support.

The Stihl with an 18 inch Bar comes in right at $400.

If you have the support, its a great saw. If you want to hedge a bit the MS280 at the same weight gets you a bit more hp, but I don't think its worth the cost increase ( frankly its so little hp increase that I wood (pun) standardize on one or the other and sell it for the 270 price. ....

They did here - the 270 was gone shortly after the 280 appeared, but the hp increase is larger here (.3hp).

What "kills" the 280 here is that both weight and price is way too close to the 361.

Odd

Looks like you refer to a mix of max power rpms and max allowed rpms.

Even my 1970 vintage 621 has max allowed rpms well above 10K - the current ones is in the 13-14K plus range.....

That's what i thought also... On Jonsereds website, under the specs, they have all of them listed at 9000rpms...

Either way, all in all, the 6400 is a better decision. What other saw out there can you upgrade almost 2full hp for under $150??? NONE. Not to mention he'd be more likely to use a 20" bar from the gitgo. 18" is too small for these parts on ALOT of occasions. Those little jreds are just little husky's, no advantage to buying a jred over a husky really, just colors. The 346xp, even the NE, is too small for around here. We cut nothing but hardwoods. It's not like cutting evergreens. The same 18" spruce they cut out west is twice as hard to cut when it's a hard maple or a beech.

I said it once, I'll say it again. You come over and run my 7900 for a bit and see if you don't laugh at those little jreds and husky's. I'll guarantee you won't even waste your time with those little tiny saws when it's your only option. If you had 2 or 3 saws, that would change my opinion. Since it's your only bread and butter, you need as much hp with a middle weight saw, and a reasonable price. NOBODY out there makes a better 60cc saw for the price. NOBODY! 4.8hp, up to 32" bar, 13,500rpms, low $500 range. It's the way to go. :clap:

:cheers: eh?

They did here - the 270 was gone shortly after the 280 appeared, but the hp increase is larger here (.3hp).

What "kills" the 280 here is that both weight and price is way too close to the 361.

About $190 difference on this side of hte pond (MS277), MS280 is $100

I went with the MS270 as the 280 didn't have anything more worth another $80 that I could see and the Stihl guy agreed (actually it was a decision between the MS250 and MS270.

Personally, unless there are some other major factors, I don't think you make the move up unless you get at least 1/2 hp for the move.

Thats why the MS390 vs the MS361 is a wash, unless you are a full time user, and to be up there you really need to have the tree diameter that justifies it. We do see 2 ft plus threes here, but not a lot, and the trunk drops down below 18 inches fast enough, that its not an issue.

Also, keep in mind that the MS270/280 is a new design saw and share some of the advanced features of the pro line (anti vibration) and that drives the cost and has decision factors.

I'm in Monkton, VT...log in Lincoln.

Alright alright...Now it's gettin interesting. Cisco- I have no idea when I'm making it over to Plattsburg to try that Dolmar- I believe you that it rips up a pile in a hurry. I've heard that Dolmar rates their saw's HP differently than the other manufacturers, anyone else heard this? I'm worried about going Dolmar...the prices are right but I haven't run into anyone running Dolmar round here...and the dealer seems like he might be going out of biz soon...makes me nervous.

I'm gonna have to go with the 1 saw plan for now. I know that eastern hardwood needs a big saw, but I also don't feel like luggin' too much around the woods for the fellin...so it's a balancing act. Is this thinking right?

Have some time off tomorrow morning. So it's time to hit the saws. I'm gonna check out the Stihl dealer (at least give the tractor seller a chance) and look at the 361, 280, 270. I have a lot of questions about their service (30 minutes away) and the vibe system. Then I'm headed to the local guys (where the loggers go) and I'll try some HUskys & Johnnyreds. I have to say I like the look of that 2156. So Johnnyreds are just a different color, eh? No difference in quality from the Huskys?

Thanks for all the help.

I run 2 jred 2165's 20" & 24"( got a great deal on saw 2 - traded for firewood) and a 2156 18" 3/8. I just recently purchased the 2156 and find it noticably lighter for running all day long, I am also very impressed with the power and it is just getting broke in. I actually went to my dealer today and he tached and re-adjusted the carb for 14500 rpm, so I cant wait till the morning to see what it will really do. I am cutting all hardwood and have cut about 100 face chord this year, with another 40 or 50 to go. I chose the 2156 because of the power to weight ratio and after talking to my dealer and several local loggers, it seems to be one of the best do it all saws without going to something heavy.

A couple of days ago I bucked up an 18" round dead elm, and some of the bigger rounds seemed a bit to much to carry so I noodled them using first the 2165 20" then the 2156 (pre-carb adjust) and to be honest I really didnt find that big of a power difference.

I will let you know tomorrow what the power is like for the 2156 now that it will be running at its full potential.

TS:cheers:

Here's a nice combo

attachment.php

My 5100 is getting stronger with each outting and the 372XPW speaks for itself. I need 2 saws to get through the day without changing chains. The Dolamar is great for limbs and small trunks while the Husky (this ones been moded by Unifire) at 75cc kicks wooden butt. This combo is a replacement for my 044 and my 250. Those are also a fine combo with which I was quite happy until I joined AS and got a touch of the CAD. Now I'm wondering what to buy to put my Harvester chain on.

Back