Firewood Saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't subscribe to the one saw plan unless you are a homeowner doing periodic maintenance work around your place. How many times have you pinched a bar and needed another saw to cut it free?

While I do cut wood around the house as needed, my saw (MS270) is a fire wood saw. There's nothing I would hesitate to tackle with it (short of a redwood), I just would not want to do it all the time.

When I was surveying we carried a mid range Homelight, you don't carry extras saws surveying, enough gear as it is and two people (most of my surveying) to pack it. If you ran into a big tree, you just made do.

That's why I fell in love with Stihls, a lot lighter and it cut much better.

I bring my maul and wedges with me, its only happened once, I just opened up the crack and pulled it out.

Worst case I chop the log in half.

I am a one owner saw. I have to make it pay for itself in lower house heating costs, which it has many times over now, but if you keep buying saws, you haven't gained anything, and the idea was to save money.

Some of those savings I took and put into wedges and a heavier maul.

If you cut wood for a living, then it becomes a tool. I could see having 3 saws easy, and one general backup as you cannnot afford to have one donw.

As a mechanic, I have lot of tools so I have the right one for the job, a lot invested. A crescent wrench does not cut it. But I am extremely prudent, all my tools are as general as I can make them, I don't buy a specialty tool unless its the only way to do the job.

So yes, one saw can be all you need.

Bought a 2159 today. I really like the MS 361, but there was no comparison in dealers. The Jonsered dealer is closer, willing to teach me what he knows and accessible. The Stihl dealer was farther and it was a showroom situation...no shop for customers to learn in. Pictures coming soon...I'll let y'all know how she cuts.

Thanks for all the help!

You have to weigh all the factors and make a decision. Yours is obviously well thought out, and not emotional. Good luck with it, never ran a Jonesred so no idea on comparison.

Yea

So 5 ounces makes it have inferior handling to the 365?

Of course it does dude.

:cheers: eh?

If you have puny weak arms and shouldn't be in the woods, lmao... I bucked 1/3 of a full cord in 7 min last week, frozen red oak, a full cord in just over 20 min, with my 288. Logs sittin on the ground, it's easy. Damn near triple that time easy with a little 50cc saw... Probably alot more than that. I kept 2 guys busy carrying blocks to the truck while I did nothing but cut. Just depends on if you want to spend days cutting or A DAY cuttting your wood. If it works, and you don't complain or it doesn't cause you problems it's a good saw eh?

:cheers: eh?

As a mechanic, I have lot of tools so I have the right one for the job, a lot invested. A crescent wrench does not cut it. But I am extremely prudent, all my tools are as general as I can make them, I don't buy a specialty tool unless its the only way to do the job.

That is my point exactly, use the right tool for the job at hand. My philosophy is that in most cases a single do it all size saw doesn't do any job well since it is by definition a compromise neither too big nor too small.

Congrats!!!

Forgot to say congrats on the new saw anyways bro. First for your small arsenal you'll be havin' soon, hehehehehehee...

:rock:

Jreds are a very good saw

Bought a 2159 today. I really like the MS 361, but there was no comparison in dealers. The Jonsered dealer is closer, willing to teach me what he knows and accessible. The Stihl dealer was farther and it was a showroom situation...no shop for customers to learn in. Pictures coming soon...I'll let y'all know how she cuts.

Thanks for all the help!

w00t!

New saws are fun. We still need pics and a after action review... c'mon man its the weekend already

That is my point exactly, use the right tool for the job at hand. My philosophy is that in most cases a single do it all size saw doesn't do any job well since it is by definition a compromise neither too big nor too small.

You miss the point.

My combination wrenches do not do all jobs perfectly, some yes, others no.
I can't afford to buy, let alone carry all those cute neat curved wrenches that are just exactly right for the job. I have seen shop mechanics with those setups, a fortune in tools, a fortune in a toolbox and they spend more time trying to find that perfect tool than they ever save getting the job done (which costs thier employer mondy) as well as money out of their families budget).

My work is more like a wood workers. I am mobile mechanic, I can't carry (nor afford) 6 specialty wrenches when one will do the job even if I have to work at it.

So, yes at times the MS270 is pushed to the limits. Maybe 20% of the time. That means 80% of the time its just right, or too much (I don't so much limb as cut the smaller branching section that are 4 inches in diameter which are good burning wood that does not require splitting).

If I had a limbing saw, I would spend more time going to get it, than I would save by its being the "right saw for the job".

I then have at least 3 saws, a lot of money, more maintenance, and a huge deficit in the bank. I am prudent. That's why I don't have a sub prime mortgage, I don't borrow money against my house to buy toys I can't afford, my vehicles are paid off etc.

So, my saw if a maximum flexible tool, and on the average, for what I do cutting, it is faster, because I am not messing around with 3 saws, I have the one saw in hand that gets the job done faster the vast majority of the time.

If you have a different cutting profile, then it may make sense, but for the mid range user, it doesn't. If you can afford to indulge yourself, that's fine. I can't, I don't and its not good to advise someone to do so that may not know better.

If you need saw advice, then you need simply to get started with the right saw to start with. You can then make decisions to buy another one or two if its justified once you have experience under your belt.

You may then ask which other saw is the right one for that job, and get help with the selection process.

By your logic you should get a set of crescent wrenches that can do 80% of wrench turning work and do away with your combo wrenches and sockets. Think of the time you will save not having to look for the right sized wrench and no more worrying about inch or metric. After all they will do the same thing most of the time. See the absurdity of your logic taken to an extreme. ;)

To the OP sorry for the thread hijack and best of luck with your new saw.

You miss the point.

My combination wrenches do not do all jobs perfectly, some yes, others no.
I can't afford to buy, let alone carry all those cute neat curved wrenches that are just exactly right for the job. I have seen shop mechanics with those setups, a fortune in tools, a fortune in a toolbox and they spend more time trying to find that perfect tool than they ever save getting the job done (which costs thier employer mondy) as well as money out of their families budget).

My work is more like a wood workers. I am mobile mechanic, I can't carry (nor afford) 6 specialty wrenches when one will do the job even if I have to work at it.

So, yes at times the MS270 is pushed to the limits. Maybe 20% of the time. That means 80% of the time its just right, or too much (I don't so much limb as cut the smaller branching section that are 4 inches in diameter which are good burning wood that does not require splitting).

If I had a limbing saw, I would spend more time going to get it, than I would save by its being the "right saw for the job".

I then have at least 3 saws, a lot of money, more maintenance, and a huge deficit in the bank. I am prudent. That's why I don't have a sub prime mortgage, I don't borrow money against my house to buy toys I can't afford, my vehicles are paid off etc.

So, my saw if a maximum flexible tool, and on the average, for what I do cutting, it is faster, because I am not messing around with 3 saws, I have the one saw in hand that gets the job done faster the vast majority of the time.

If you have a different cutting profile, then it may make sense, but for the mid range user, it doesn't. If you can afford to indulge yourself, that's fine. I can't, I don't and its not good to advise someone to do so that may not know better.

If you need saw advice, then you need simply to get started with the right saw to start with. You can then make decisions to buy another one or two if its justified once you have experience under your belt.

You may then ask which other saw is the right one for that job, and get help with the selection process.

By your logic you should get a set of crescent wrenches that can do 80% of wrench turning work and do away with your combo wrenches and sockets. Think of the time you will save not having to look for the right sized wrench and no more worrying about inch or metric. After all they will do the same thing most of the time. See the absurdity of your logic taken to an extreme. ;)

I just bought a really nice set of Vise-grips this weekend and I already have a hammer, I shouldn't need anything else to rebuilt my 372xp should I????:laugh:

You don't have the vaguest idea of what logic is.

useless to try to educate you, though others may benefit. I assume Probably believe in Creationism or Unintelligent deign.

An Axe is a useful tool. You can chop trees down with it, limb and create firewood (though you would work you butt of for very little gain). A chainsaw is the right tool for most wood working.

A crescent wrench is a useful tool. Like an axe, its not the right tool for most nut and bolt situations (though I have 5 in my tool box, they are used to assist a process or a quick no critical bolt application). Ditto for vice-grips.

You want to buy 15 chainsaws, go ahead. Just don't try to convince me it makes any sense, its just showing off, waste of money and or ego.

Bucking up at the old homeplace this morning. The 2159 rips through beech, ash, maple, oak, cherry. I loved the balance and handling. Seems to run plenty cool with the cat and it was a warm day.

Here's some pics.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

Latest posts

Back