firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what cc class is your main go to firewood saw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I prefer 70cc with a 24" or longer bar. I will use a 50cc if it's around and I'm doing small limbs and such. Walking a log and limbing a 70cc with a 28-32" is a lot easier. :cheers:

That's blasphemy!!! A good 50cc saw is nice to have, but theres no replacement for displacement lol

I'll try to keep this at an adult level. I'll only say half of it. That's what ... .... and stuff. I think for firewood you cant go wrong with a 50cc saw if you're not cutting anything over 20 inches.

It depends on the wood!

I have used a 50cc-class saw for most of my firewood cutting, but I cut mainly small-diameter softwoods (Douglas-Fir, pine and larch, mostly 12" or less). For the stuff I cut, a 50cc saw is overkill! If I were cutting large-diameter hardwoods I would be using a 60cc or 70cc saw.

Doug

This has been discussed many times here on AS. When it comes down to it, most of us are not living in reality, when it comes to how most people use and view chainsaws. Many people have heated there homes with little top handle Poulan's. Do any of you really think a normal person is going to buy a 800/1,000 dollar saw to cut FIREWOOD? Sorry I don't want to sound mean but you're all starting to sound like saw snobs. If you can't get by with a 50cc saw as your main firewood cutter, you're simply spoiled, myself included. And don't tell me you can't cut 40" rounds with a 50cc saw and a 20" I know better.

Man it's already getting a bit warm in here lol.

I have a pretty broad selection of saws to pick from when cutting firewood. Like Zogger, I cut wood down to pretty small diameters. My wife that runs the wood furnace likes the mix of large and small. I cut about 16" to 18" and as long as I can get straight sections, I'll cut down to an inch or so in diameter. I have to deal with anything left over anyway so cut as much as I can for the furnace/stove and the rest gets chipped or burned as brush. Pine only gets cut small enough to move and it is all treated as debris. (chipped or burned as brush)

That said, The Stihl 026 cuts by far the majority of my wood. I will go larger or smaller as necessary. The Stihl 018C also gets involved for little stuff and if I have larger rounds, well then there's medicine for those too.

So short answer is 50cc class.

I voted for the 90cc lol. Most of the time I grab my 655. It puts a smile on my face everytime.

I voted for the 90cc lol. Most of the time I grab my 655. It puts a smile on my face everytime.
One of my all time favorite dream saws, and yours is a beaut, but are you really out gathering the firewood with it?

This has been discussed many times here on AS. When it comes down to it, most of us are not living in reality, when it comes to how most people use and view chainsaws. Many people have heated there homes with little top handle Poulan's. Do any of you really think a normal person is going to buy a 800/1,000 dollar saw to cut FIREWOOD? Sorry I don't want to sound mean but you're all starting to sound like saw snobs. If you can't get by with a 50cc saw as your main firewood cutter, you're simply spoiled, myself included. And don't tell me you can't cut 40" rounds with a 50cc saw and a 20" I know better.

You can get by with one but it's painfully slow to work on big trees with a 50cc saw. My only saw for about 3 years was a husky 350. Then I kept cutting big wood that required cutting from both sides. I bought a stihl 460 and a 24" bar and that was the end of using 50 cc saws for anything but 4 wheeler trail work.

It really depends on the size of the wood and whether I am limbing or cutting trunk wood. Limbing and smaller stuff, the 029 super w/muffler mod is the go-to. But when it comes to 24 inch and bigger, the MS441 Mag gets the nod:rock:, that saw don't mess around!!!

Really? have you ever cut hardwood? cutting 40" rounds with a 50cc maybe ok for your softwood but not down here.

BTW it's warming up here too.. 104 F ;)

Last edited:
Honestly IMO a 50cc saw would supply any house with wood heat. Yea yea yea I know you can't see how anybody would get by with a 50cc saw cutting this big wood. There's the catch this big wood...just pass it up and cut the wood the 50cc saw is comfortable with. There is plenty out there you just pass it up so that you have the reason to run your manly saw. I'm guilty of the same thing myself. I used to vote 70cc but with time and age on a guy that works for a living my vote goes to the 50-60cc saw for all my wood up to 20-24'' wood.

EHP ported MS261 w/ a 18" bar and chain. It cuts 90% of
my firewood, and when I need a bigger saw I've got a couple locals who can help me out.

I use to go for my Husqy 445, but that is my back up saw. Go to saw is going to be the 562 since it offers the perfect medium balance for my cutting needs, and you can use it for smaller and larger trees.

Really? have you ever cut hardwood? cutting 40" rounds with a 50cc maybe ok for your softwood but not down here.

Yes and I've sold a lot as well.

Like I said most get buy with 50cc or less. Sure its slow and enifficant at times, but most have no other choice. I'm actually more impressed with guys that make do with less IMHO. LOL

Honestly IMO a 50cc saw would supply any house with wood heat. Yea yea yea I know you can't see how anybody would get by with a 50cc saw cutting this big wood. There's the catch this big wood...just pass it up and cut the wood the 50cc saw is comfortable with. There is plenty out there you just pass it up so that you have the reason to run your manly saw. I'm guilty of the same thing myself. I used to vote 70cc but with time and age on a guy that works for a living my vote goes to the 50-60cc saw for all my wood up to 20-24'' wood.

I get what your saying Woodchuck, but when your wood supply is limited, you NEVER pass up wood. I had 56 dead ash in my small woodlot, from 12 inch to 34 inch across, I cut 'em ALL. I didn't put a loglift on my splitter for looks and when its in your back yard, no hauling, you cut it.

Back