first felling saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one reason i'm looking at buying a bigger saw is bar length
i'm gettin' into a couple of bigger trees next week with my job

i've got the stihl ms 210 and they recommend up to a 16" bar

will throwing a 20 - 24" on there burn it up in any way?

If nothing else, it will sure cut very slow.......:bang: :bang:
A good woods ported/race 210 ...

Who would want to do that......:buttkick: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Last edited:
HA! 35cc with a 20" bar? NO. :dizzy:

Moreover there is no 20" or 24" bar that uses the small mount on the MS210 anyway. So that idea is out.

A general rule of thumb is to aim for a 3:1 ratio of cc:inches in order to yield good performance. So if you need 20" bar you should be looking for a 60cc saw.

An MS440 would be a good choice for a 20" or 24" bar. Buy it with the factory Dual-Port muffler cover ($30) and you'll be set. Skip on the 385, it's a lot heavier than the 440 and you don't need the extra 15cc to pull a 20" or 24" bar.

Agree 100% (as usual), but change out the 440 for a 372xp if you can.....:rockn: :rockn:

that's good advice right there

the guy i work with is a forester from virginia
got two years left at forestry school

and those books you mentioned... when next week's pay
arrives, i'll be gettin' those

CUs advice is allways good,,,,,:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Moreover there is no 20" or 24" bar that uses the small mount on the MS210 anyway. So that idea is out.

DOH! Beat me to it.

Good old computerguy here has doled out some good advice, as he seems to do often.

Get the 440 if you're still looking. The 385 sounds to me like more saw than you need. And too much saw can be as much of a problem as too little saw.

Jeff

372xp should be what you want, cheaper than stihl and alot nicer to cut with...

that 372 isn't a bad deal from bailey's...

i just have a thing with having something like that shipped across the country...

anyone bought any saws online and had them shipped
and arrived in perfect condition?

but, like i said, it's either gonna be the 372 or the 440

thanks to all you guys for your input and stuff

Last edited:
that 372 isn't a bad deal from bailey's...

i just have a thing with having something like that shipped across the country...

anyone bought any saws online and had them shipped
and arrived in perfect condition?

but, like i said, it's either gonna be the 372 or the 440

thanks to all you guys for your input and stuff

Yup, I've had new saws and used saws shipped and they arrived the way that saws arrive: physically a-OK but in need of set-up and tuning for local conditions. This is the same task that your local dealer will have to do when you buy from them. Do understand, there is nothing that your dealer is going to do to your new saw for you that is magic if you know how to tune and adjust a saw yourself. But if you don't or aren't 100% comfortable with it, then buying local is probably in your best interest, at least the first time around.

thanks to all y'all for your input

it's down between the MS390 and the 440

390?! NO!

Buy this instead: CaseyForrest's DN 361. It will out cut either of those saws AND weigh less. I know because I ran it before and after it was ported, and it is a hell of a saw in ported form!

you're right

i called the dealer earlier this morning and talked to him for a few minutes about
what i was wanting (up to 24-25" bar and chain)

and i asked him about the 390 and he said he did not stock the
390 and that i should either go with the 361, or if i want the 440,
go with the 441 instead

the 441 is a bit out of my price range, unfortunately
so i'm gonna go with the 361

I think that the saw you need is one like this
attachment.php

my first felling saw

my first felling saw was a 24" 395 husky. i remember when i got started, once you get the sawdust in your veins you'll never get it out. good luck and be careful

Black and Red is the right color :blob4:

And yes, Willow like anything else get used as firewood.

We also use willow, when they are at a convenient place, but I don't care to carry them any distanse to speak of - imo it is fair firewood, but not really good..........;)

We also use willow, when they are at a convenient place, but I don't care to carry them any distanse to speak of - imo it is fair firewood, but not really good..........;)

I never burn any willow, and my world would be a better place without those frigging willow bushes trying to take over every little piece of land....

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Latest posts

Back