first felling saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never burn any willow, and my world would be a better place without those frigging willow bushes trying to take over every little piece of land....

:angry: :angry: :angry:

That's how it is here to, Willow, Sitka Spruce, and even Aspen trying to take over every little piece of land. We cut them down and use it as firewood, but the biggest problem here is the Sitka Spruce.

Last edited:
Did the guy get the MS361 or not?

The price he had on the 385 was not bad IMO. And the Baileys price on the 372. For felling and bucking I don't see the point of buying the 361 and have it modded instead of buying a 372/385. With lots of limbing it would have been a different story. Not all stories have a happy end ;)

I never burn any willow, and my world would be a better place without those frigging willow bushes trying to take over every little piece of land....

:angry: :angry: :angry:

There are willow bushes, and there are willow trees - for "summer firewood" the willow trees are OK, but not when it is really cold.

Willow ( and spruce) is preferable to aspen and alder, imo.

There are willow bushes, and there are willow trees - for "summer firewood" the willow trees are OK, but not when it is really cold.

Willow ( and spruce) is preferable to aspen and alder, imo.

well, i only burn birch and pine anyway.... also, theres no willow TREES over here, only those damn bushes...

that 372 isn't a bad deal from bailey's...

i just have a thing with having something like that shipped across the country...

anyone bought any saws online and had them shipped
and arrived in perfect condition?

but, like i said, it's either gonna be the 372 or the 440

thanks to all you guys for your input and stuff

My 359 was flawless, but had green fuel cap and cat. That came as a surprise and cost an additional $50 to remedy.

Stihl HAS to paying you small stipend!!!

Was stiill $200 below cost of MS361. It is on my when I win Lotto list.

I stand in line right behind Bill Gates; the only person in the USA that can afford to play; does'nt.

Last edited:
crunch time

tomorrow is the day, folks

it's down to the 361 and the 441

and i think i'll be able to make my decision after gettin'
into the store and holding them and all that

can you get a demo at the store to take out
around back and try out, see how it feels running?

If you are felling and bucking 18" or larger hardwood regularly, go for the 441. You will never regret it. I have the 036 and though its an ideal firewood saw, it is not the saw I'd grab to fell or buck with (I have a 660 too). The 441 will be spot on for felling or bucking or limbing and will serve as a great firewood saw too. Put a 20" to 25" bar on it and you are covered for most everything. Out here, there's lots of conifers, so most guys are running 28" and 32" bars on their 441's. If you have to have 1 saw, get that one. If money is the issue, see if you can scrape the pennies together for the 440. If not, then do the 361. Try the heft of all the saws with the same bar on them. I purchased my 036 for firewood and it was ideal, except for wood over 18" and when I needed to fell trees.

All that being said, you really can't go wrong with either saw. Don't forget the Husky 372 if your money won't get you into the 441. You can probably pick it up through Bailey's for about the price of a 361. I'd definitely do that if I had to make the choice and didn't have another saw in the arsenal.

my other saw is the 210... mostly my pruning and trimming saw

it got a little worn out today clearing a fenceline,
gettin' rid of those damn hackberry trees
but the job was contracted and three days behind,
and i needed the money so i did it

That 210 is a good little saw. Hopefully she'll mend with a little TLC. You might check the Bailey's website and look at the 372's. I'm very impressed with their service. I just ordered a cant hook on Sunday and it showed up today. Awesome turn-around and no hassles. Best of luck on your purchase. Sounds like you will put it to good use.

but the job was contracted and three days behind,
and i needed the money so i did it

I know the feeling. Worked my way into a bunch of equipment by bootstrapping the way you are. Kinda rough till you get enough jobs under the belt and enough equipment to keep things going. I'm rooting for ya. Stihl or Husky and you will be happy. My next saw will be a Husky just to show I'm open minded.:rock:

i had been looking at the 372 - good price for that size of a saw -
but the closest husky service/dealer is about two hours away...

That's definitely something to consider when buying the Husky, especially since you already have a stihl. I think that out of fairness to the two saw makers, the reason a lot of guys stick with one brand is the investment you make in bars and accessories. Its nice to be able to interchange things. All that being said, you probably won't be interchanging much on the 210 with a pro saw anyway. I think they have different bar mounts? Definitely different pitch chains. Lakeside would know.

The one thing you have going for you if you pick up the Husky is that you can probably get everything you need online, assuming you can do basic servicing jobs yourself. Not so for Stihl. As a point of reference, my 036 is over 15 years old and I've put several hundred hours on the saw (conservatively) and it has been used on a lot of commercial tree jobs. I've never needed to replace the sparkplug on the saw and have only had to do minor adjustments to the high speed jet to account for altitude changes when I go to the mountains. So the short story is, you probably won't be needing dealer support for either brand of saw unless something unexpected happens. Same goes for my MS200T - three years and lots of take downs / prunes. No problems.

The one thing you have going for you if you pick up the Husky is that you can probably get everything you need online, assuming you can do basic servicing jobs yourself. Not so for Stihl. As a point of reference, my 036 is over 15 years old and I've put several hundred hours on the saw (conservatively) and it has been used on a lot of commercial tree jobs. I've never needed to replace the sparkplug on the saw and have only had to do minor adjustments to the high speed jet to account for altitude changes when I go to the mountains. So the short story is, you probably won't be needing dealer support for either brand of saw unless something unexpected happens. Same goes for my MS200T - three years and lots of take downs / prunes. No problems.

good points you made about getting parts...

what's the general consensus with using the 361
for felling trees up to 24"??

My thoughts are that it will serve just fine for felling 24 inch treesl if you are mostly doing arborist type work where you spend more of your time taking the tree down in sections, limbing and bucking things up. If you are into production felling for a land clearing job, you might lean heavily toward the larger of the saws mentioned earlier. Anyone else have thoughts?

If you are felling and bucking 18" or larger hardwood regularly, go for the 441. ....

Make that 20", and I will agree..........:greenchainsaw:

All that being said, you really can't go wrong with either saw. Don't forget the Husky 372 if your money won't get you into the 441. You can probably pick it up through Bailey's for about the price of a 361. I'd definitely do that if I had to make the choice and didn't have another saw in the arsenal.

Good point (not valid here though)........:rockn: :rockn:

Shouldn't be a problem at all, and you don't need a 24" bar to do it.....;)

For a rookie (I resemble remark) a bar that completely spans the tree is easier and safer IMO. The 361 is a fine saw and will serve you well. It came in a very close second to my replacement saw.

Troll be honest, do you own Stihl stock? :laugh: :laugh:

i had been looking at the 372 - good price for that size of a saw -

Dont you have a Jonsered dealer around? If so look at the Jonsered CS 2171 TURBO almost same as Husqvarna 372xp Air Injection
attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back