First Impressions of my new 385xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioGregg

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Husqvarna 385xp, new, with 24" bar. I bought this planning on on using it on a chainsaw mill down the road. I figured I would fire it up today and give it try. Will use it awhile to get it "run in" and limbered up so to speak. Im using Husqvarna 50:1 mix and 93 octane gas. Husqvarna bar oil also, been using that in my Poulans for some time. It was a cold day thismorning, 20`s and breezy. It farted on about the 4th or 5th pull,with the choke on. Pushed the choke knob in and it fired right up. I let it warm up for couple minutes, giving it some throttle once in awhile. As it sat there idlling I noticed the chain had loosened. Shut it off and tightened the chain. Started again, little more warm up then proceeded to fell a 22-24" maple. Started bucking it up and chain got real loose. Tightened again, and finished bucking the bigger stuff. The saw ran very well, extremely smooth, lots of rpms, and quiet. I was a little disapointed in the power, or what I was expecting. I think that is due to real high expectations, after reading about these bigger cc saws on AS for so long. :) Quite frankly, ease and speed of cut werent that much different than my 65cc Poulan 4000. Little more yes, but not the great difference I was expecting. Plus the feel was a little more bulky. The air filter was absolutley clean when i finished. Excellent. One thing that bothered me a little was it didnt seem to oil nearly enough. I think that partly due to the oil being very cold and thick. Will turn up the oiler next time to full, or just wait for a warmer day. lol Overall though, I think Im gonna like it just fine. As a comparison, fueled and oiled up, 21 1/2 lbs. My Poulan 4000 20" bar 18 1/2 lbs. Plan on using a 24" & 28" for milling. That will be the real test, i guess.:) So guess now my green saws have a new big orange buddy...LOL

Cuttin' in cold weather might call for enrichening the mixture. Likewise, cold weather would be a good time for winter weight bar oil. Your saw should pick up some power after the rings seat. Expect more power after you run several to 10 tanks through.

I was apprehensive of my 066 the first time I ran it. Luckily, I've avoided the big kickbacks(so far), and I've become accustomed to both the weight and power. The big saws really show their worth in big wood or on the mill. The 066 leaves the 272xp for dead on the mill.

Enjoy that new saw!

Just wondering why you didn't get the 390XP? It has few more cc's, less vibs. and a beefier clutch. Your 385 will get better as it breaks in.

When you speak of all the talk on AS about the larger cc saws I can relate to that. Thats what causes CAD.:D When you start getting your saws ported that brings them to a new level. There a a few good saw builders on here but most build for themselves.

Enjoy your new saw!!:cheers:

The first new 385 I bought took a long time to break in. After that, she was a pretty good saw. Plenty of power and quick to limb with. After a season and half or so on it, I did some cylinder and muffler mods. The saw has more power now than it did when it was new. I'd definetly put a dual port on it and give it some tanks, some real sawin'. It will be a nice saw for you, then you can roll the dice like I did and pull it all apart down the road and hop it up after you know for sure it's paid for it'self a few times over.

I'm probably on my 6th or 7th tank with mine. Like you, I didn't really see the power on it until I compared it. Before this I was running a stihl 390 with a 25 in bar on it but blew it up before I could compare. I've got the 24 in on this one. I'm working in smaller stuff than most of you, with mesquite and live oaks but did manage to go crazy at an oak stand on a firescene. Our fire dept runs a stihl 390 with a 20 incher, I was able to outcut it pretty fast. Managed to drop some scary stuff thanks to the chain being sharp and fast. The 390 would have dogged through, but the husky pretty much tore its way through. Safer to make the cuts fast before things can go bad.
She is heavy and bulky like you said. I don't mind it too much, but I'm still relatively young and stupid I guess. I'm laid up for about a month, can't even use my 210, so I miss it.
I shared your sentiment with the chain. Getting used to the solid bar was a bit different, and I lost both barnuts on the first day out. Bad omen, but she's made up for it.

So..., weight, yeah, she's a pig, power, she's a mean pig, I don't get a chance to bury her dogs deep like some of you every day, but she hasn't stalled in either pecan or oak.
I use it mainly for firewood getting and some fd stuff, so she is overkill. I guess the best thing about her is when I tell someone who knows saws what I have, I don't get the pat on the head "well, thats a good saw, but it aint no 440...etc, etc) Usually the the statement is "WTF do you need that for?!?" I'm happy, for now at least...there's always room for an 880...

The saw ran very well, extremely smooth, lots of rpms, and quiet. I was a little disapointed in the power, or what I was expecting. I think that is due to real high expectations, after reading about these bigger cc saws on AS for so long. :) Quite frankly, ease and speed of cut werent that much different than my 65cc Poulan 4000. Little more yes, but not the great difference I was expecting. Plus the feel was a little more bulky. The air filter was absolutley clean when i finished. Excellent. One thing that bothered me a little was it didnt seem to oil nearly enough.

I already pet the 'arboristsite cat' backwards on this point already.
Small differences are commonly worded as earth shaking here on A.S.
It makes good 'non-fiction-blurred-fiction' reading-contoverseys, and above all promotes sponsorship sales. :cheers:

Congratulations on the new 385xp:clap: I think for hardwood the 24" bar you got is perfect. If it feels down on power you may want to put a tach on it and see what rpm its turning. When new my 395 was off by a 1000 rpm and was very disappointing til I set the carb.

Great info given so far. I say get her tached and run some more tanks through, if you are not pleased then, have it ported.:D A ported 385 might be all the saw you would ever need, it wood laugh at a 32" bar and say give me some more inches you b****.:hmm3grin2orange:

if your cuttin 20-24" with a big saw you realy arnt goin to notice a huge difference. There is a crossover point were chain speed and power cross. Take a7hp saw at13,000 rpm and a 5 hp saw at 13,000 rpm and cut some 16 inch rounds there both gonna cut at about the same speed not enough work to slow either one down, Now put them both in a 30" round the bigger saw will keep the chain speed up and the smaller one will start slowing down more. So the point is if ya get a big saw and test it in small wood it may not be that impressive test it on the wood it was designed for.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new saw Greg, nice honest observation also.

I read with interest as I've been getting the itch to get another saw to run a 32" on besides my SXL925 and had the 385XP cross my interest.

At this point I'm not sure it would be a big enough step up from my 575XP.

Also all my Husky's oil good but that Husky oil seems like it needs to be thinned when its really cold out. at least it works better for me that way.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Husqvarna 385xp, new, with 24" bar. I bought this planning on on using it on a chainsaw mill down the road. I figured I would fire it up today and give it try. Will use it awhile to get it "run in" and limbered up so to speak. Im using Husqvarna 50:1 mix and 93 octane gas. Husqvarna bar oil also, been using that in my Poulans for some time. It was a cold day thismorning, 20`s and breezy. It farted on about the 4th or 5th pull,with the choke on. Pushed the choke knob in and it fired right up. I let it warm up for couple minutes, giving it some throttle once in awhile. As it sat there idlling I noticed the chain had loosened. Shut it off and tightened the chain. Started again, little more warm up then proceeded to fell a 22-24" maple. Started bucking it up and chain got real loose. Tightened again, and finished bucking the bigger stuff. The saw ran very well, extremely smooth, lots of rpms, and quiet. I was a little disapointed in the power, or what I was expecting. I think that is due to real high expectations, after reading about these bigger cc saws on AS for so long. :) Quite frankly, ease and speed of cut werent that much different than my 65cc Poulan 4000. Little more yes, but not the great difference I was expecting. Plus the feel was a little more bulky. The air filter was absolutley clean when i finished. Excellent. One thing that bothered me a little was it didnt seem to oil nearly enough. I think that partly due to the oil being very cold and thick. Will turn up the oiler next time to full, or just wait for a warmer day. lol Overall though, I think Im gonna like it just fine. As a comparison, fueled and oiled up, 21 1/2 lbs. My Poulan 4000 20" bar 18 1/2 lbs. Plan on using a 24" & 28" for milling. That will be the real test, i guess.:) So guess now my green saws have a new big orange buddy...LOL

It will get better as it breaks in as far as oiling those husky bars
get modded on my saws the oil holes in the bar are too small so
I drill them out bigger! Anyways give it some time my 395 has
got way better after breakin!

Bigger saws with shorter bars do well with an 8 tooth rim, that way you get to use the extra power.

Ian

My 385XP has about 15 tanks through it. It has really started to wake up.

After break-in, it is a much stronger saw now than it was new. Also, I've been tweeking the high-speed jet. I went a little richer for the first 8 tanks (about 1/4 to 1/2 turn richer). After that, I leaned it up close to factory setting. I tweaked the setting "by ear" while under load. I get the occasional 4-stroke "blips" running WOT while cutting. I believe that is the optimal setting for power and fuel/air mixture.

You will be happy with your new saw, just give it a little time. The 24" bar is a good fit, IMO. I also run a 20" bar for firewood and general cutting. That 385 with a 20" is an animal!

JQ

First off, I want to thank all for the very positive and usefull comments regarding this saw, break in, mods, bar sizes, and all. Soaking it in like a sponge here.:)
As to Jack-The -Rippers question on why I didn`t get the 390xp?
The reason was purely $$. as with most things in life, money money money:cry: I have been lookin for awhile now, and would have liked to get a saw in the 90-95cc range, but most in that size your lookin at $1,000 or more.
The Husky395, Solo, Dolmar and of course Sthil. I had a chance to get this 385 for $652 plus 30 shipping=$682 Best price I have been able to find, so couldn`t pass it up.
This saw had a slight 4 stroke going at top end till it well warmed up, then it was screaming, lotta rpms. I guess it wouldn`t hurt to richen it slightly, especialy in the cold weather and being new. One quick question I have is, On this saw there is a screen on the muffler, that the manual says some saws have and some may not. Any harm in taking that off? or benifit. Looks like just a simple screw.
Thanks again, Gregg

This saw had a slight 4 stroke going at top end till it well warmed up, then it was screaming, lotta rpms. I guess it wouldn`t hurt to richen it slightly, especialy in the cold weather and being new. One quick question I have is, On this saw there is a screen on the muffler, that the manual says some saws have and some may not. Any harm in taking that off? or benifit. Looks like just a simple screw.
Thanks again, Gregg

The screen is a spark arrestor, and does cause restriction. The saw needs to be tuned to the restriction, or lack of. Unless you're burning some oil that clogs the screen, I would leave it in place. The screen also keeps bugs from crawling inside. There was a thread this past spring about an exhaust port completely clogged with pollen, so most likely was attractive to bees.

Cold air is more dense than warm air, so provides more oxygen. This will lean the mixture.

As to Jack-The -Rippers question on why I didn`t get the 390xp?
The reason was purely $$. as with most things in life, money money money:cry: I have been lookin for awhile now, and would have liked to get a saw in the 90-95cc range, but most in that size your lookin at $1,000 or more.
The Husky395, Solo, Dolmar and of course Sthil. I had a chance to get this 385 for $652 plus 30 shipping=$682 Best price I have been able to find, so couldn`t pass it up.

Ohio: You did VERY well at $682 for that saw. I looked for quite a while and the best deal I found on mine was $729. Nice score.

I went through the same mental gyrations with the 385XP vs. 390XP. The 390XP was significantly higher. You'll be happy.

JQ

I agree on the happy part even though I have no experiance
with the 385 I am sure it would be similar to my 395. The spark
arrester should stay in the muffler as liability in the event of a fire
could turn expense for the saw into millions! If you wish to make it
open up after breakin and well built muffler mod can help but the
screen needs replaced after the mod!

Latest posts

Back