First Real Kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Had a reality check today. I was cutting up a maple for firewood, it was 90ºF out and I was whooped. I let my bar tip get a little too close to a previously cut round while limbing and guess what. Yep, tip hits in that upper quadrant and kicks back. The chain break worked like a charm thankfully, but I was lucky in that it kicked back instead of up, shoving the rear handle into my thigh.

Ya know where my brain bucket and chaps were? Yep.. in the back of the truck. I had opted for safety glasses and ear plugs instead.

I'm glad I can post this here instead of up in the Injuries forum. Be careful out there guys!

Ian

Had a reality check today. I was cutting up a maple for firewood, it was 90ºF out and I was whooped. I let my bar tip get a little too close to a previously cut round while limbing and guess what. Yep, tip hits in that upper quadrant and kicks back. The chain break worked like a charm thankfully, but I was lucky in that it kicked back instead of up, shoving the rear handle into my thigh.

Ya know where my brain bucket and chaps were? Yep.. in the back of the truck. I had opted for safety glasses and ear plugs instead.

I'm glad I can post this here instead of up in the Injuries forum. Be careful out there guys!

Ian

Glad you're okay.
Just when you think you can make a quick cut something happens.

Had a reality check today. I was cutting up a maple for firewood, it was 90ºF out and I was whooped.

Ian

What were you doing cutting wood when its 90º?:jawdrop: Its showing 98º on my outside thermometer in the shade, and I'm trying to figure out how to get out and get beer without getting cooked!:givebeer: I might be nuts:dizzy: , but I'm not crazy enough to cut wood in this weather.

BTW, I'm glad you're uninjured.:clap:

Been there done that and sometimes it hurts your thigh too.
I also hate when you are cutting brush to reduce and the chain grabs
a little chunk of wood and throws it into yer shin I have limped a day
or two from both with the 372 man that hurts:laugh: It tells me you
are holding the saw correct and are fairly strong great the outcome
was merely minor and fatigue will cause us to let down our guard!

Had a reality check today. I was cutting up a maple for firewood, it was 90ºF out and I was whooped...

That's when it gets dangerous, when you are physically tired and mentally not as sharp as you could be. I know the feeling. I have a little cut on my chaps from being in the same condition - I should replace them.

I'm glad you're ok Ian! :)

+1!!

What were you doing cutting wood when its 90º?:jawdrop:

Getting my fix. What do you do for your fix when it's hot out? :)

My house isn't much of a shelter from the heat anyway, A/C died 2 days ago. I can stay inside and sweat, or go outside and sweat. Might as well put some firewood up while I'm at it.

Ian

Time for a nice relaxing cuppa tea eh Ian.

Glad you are OK matey.

Time for a nice relaxing cuppa tea eh Ian.

Glad you are OK matey.

A nice cuppa tea... Yorkshire Gold of course.. good idea. I bet that stuff would rival the 361 for curing cancer.. In this heat tho, I may commit a tea etiquette atrocity and make ice tea instead... I won't post pics tho. I promise. ROFL

Ian

Whew! Glad you're OK, I bet it woke you up, though. I have had that happen when cutting on a pile of wood or reducing a brush pile and taking out the 2-3" kindling...... get in a bit of a hurry and the bar tip touches another piece....Up jumps the saw! I am really glad all my saws have working chain brakes. I do check them often, that was a great invention. Too many horror stories already, no need for any more! :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Glad to hear you did'nt get hurt - that takes all the fun out of it! Man, this hot weather SUCKS - I hate it!!!!!!!
:cry:

A nice cuppa tea... Yorkshire Gold of course.. good idea. I bet that stuff would rival the 361 for curing cancer.. In this heat tho, I may commit a tea etiquette atrocity and make ice tea instead... I won't post pics tho. I promise. ROFL

Ian

Now that's funny....:)

I was also cutting some wood and had a minor kick back, I'm lucky that my left arm was locked in postion. Same situation, a previous cut round of wood hit the bar............no need for further explanation. I was using my weak 42cc Crapsman with muffler mods, did not want to beat my MS460 for sub association clean up.

What were you doing cutting wood when its 90º?:jawdrop: Its showing 98º on my outside thermometer in the shade, and I'm trying to figure out how to get out and get beer without getting cooked!:givebeer: I might be nuts:dizzy: , but I'm not crazy enough to cut wood in this weather.

BTW, I'm glad you're uninjured.:clap:

LOLOl.. it's EXACTLY 50.0F here.... and that might be the high of the day.
Apart from the rain, it would be a great day to cut wood:greenchainsaw:

Getting my fix. What do you do for your fix when it's hot out? :)

Well, today I'm either on the AS site or watching reruns of Axmen, drinking beer.:popcorn: My saws are clean, and the chains sharp....

My house isn't much of a shelter from the heat anyway, A/C died 2 days ago. I can stay inside and sweat, or go outside and sweat. Might as well put some firewood up while I'm at it.

Ian

OUCH! Its too :censored: hot to not have working AC. I do agree that if you're going to sweat anyway, you may as well be doing something you enjoy.;)

Glad you're OK !

Sorry to hear about the A/C dying.

If you gotta sweat, at least do it where there's a breeze. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back