First time buyer with a $500ish budget. Looking for some guidance.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsk0307

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks reading as much as I can. (love the FAQ sticky) I'm going to be buying a saw next week. Just trying to narrow down my options and hoping maybe you guys would be willing to help.

I have a budget of around $500 but it's flexible. There seem to be a lot of good choices in my range even a few professional saws. Right now I'm borrowing from friends when I need a saw. I mainly cut firewood for myself but I'm looking to maybe start selling a little bit on the side to make a few dollars. Not a full time operation.

Much of the wood that I get is from property that does not allow motorized vehicles. I spend the warmer months mountain biking and hunting there. Naturally I find fallen trees that I later come back and cut up and haul out with my little lawn cart. Yeah, it's a lot of work but I actually enjoy it. Really good exercise.

Anyway, I've been looking at a refurb Makita 6401. I've found them for about $400+tax/ship. I'm lured by the fact that it is 64cc. (Insert Tim Allen grunt) I'm even considering a MS 260 pro. I have no problem going with a used saw. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist at Stihl 026/036 pro saws as well. Just concerned that I'm not capable of making a sound decision since I don't know much about fair value for used gear. Plus I'd hate to inherit someone elses headache.

From what I've read I shouldn't get caught up with displacement. It seems logical to me that a 56cc saw would outperform a 50cc but obviously that is not the case based off what I've read here on the forums. So I'm trying to not let that be my determining factor.

The 036 series is a great saw. I have picked up mine for 200 and 300. If you have a 500 budget you should find a great running 036 series and get some chains for the price.

Ray

Welcome.
If you are looking for a 1 saw plan (that will only last for a little bit, if you stick around; you'll have 10 before you know it) I would look at a used MS361. $350 for a good one should be fine. You'll have some money left for a few bars and chains.
Or go with a new 6401.
You probably want something not to heavy, but flexible enough to pull a 20" bar.
Or: 026 and a 044 !!!:)
You forgot to mention dealer support in your area.
Good luck.

Thanks guys.

I'm actually on a 3 saw plan right now. I want to buy the work horse first. I plan to add a smaller 12-14" saw later for the really small jobs and a pole saw pruner for trimming around my house.

As far as weight, I'm using my friends Homelite which has got to be at least 16lbs if not more. Not necessarily at the top of my list with regards to features. I mainly want something that will be dependable and have parts/service available if necessary.

MS261 or XP 346 with 18" or 20" bar.

Unless you are doing some major felling and bucking these will suit you fine.

If You were given either of these plus a 70cc saw to demo on the log pile you'd see what I mean...

357xp or 262xp. I would be tempted to buy a couple of used saws rather than one new one. How much are used 7901's? maybe a 7901 and a 346xp? Obviously weight isn't an issue from what you say. What size bar do you need it to be capable of running?

Before you spend $400 for a refurbed 6401, buy a new one for less than $500 from Baileys, site sponsor. Shipping free, because over $200, comes with a 20" bar and chain. REJ2

Thanks REJ2. Bookmarked the link!

MS261 or XP 346 with 18" or 20" bar.

Unless you are doing some major felling and bucking these will suit you fine.

If You were given either of these plus a 70cc saw to demo on the log pile you'd see what I mean...

I've yet to see the MS261 pricing. The local Stihl dealers (ACE hardware) doesn't list them. The Stihl Elite dealers are a bit of a drive for me. Their site only shows the MS260pro for around $520 or the MS 261 C-Q for $650 which is well out of my range right now.

how big is most of the wood?

Well, right now most of it is under 16" diameter because I look for easy work. My friends Homelite has an 18" bar but doesn't seem to handle the larger wood very well. If I had a better saw I would definately be willing to take on some larger trees.

The MS261 and 346xp are the new 60cc "do it all" standard IMHO.

The 346 is listing for $500 and going for mid $400's. The Stihl was $549 if mrmory serves, but it seems they may be going for a bit less.

If I were just starting out and the hype is true, I'd go with the 261, but I've already made my choices before the 261 was out. No regrets and I plan to keep brand/dealer loyal.

Last edited:
357xp or 262xp. I would be tempted to buy a couple of used saws rather than one new one. How much are used 7901's? maybe a 7901 and a 346xp? Obviously weight isn't an issue from what you say. What size bar do you need it to be capable of running?

Yeah, I'm well aware that the used saws will likely be the better route. I'm only looking at new because there are some in my price range and I'd be guaranteed to not inherit someone elses headache. I'd hate to buy used only to have to immediately rebuild the thing and end up spending more money than just buying a new saw.

I'm looking for an 18 or 20" bar. But truthfully a 16" would let me cut up to 32". I do have to haul manually and I also maul split so I'm not going to be dragging really large rounds.

Just picked up a price list this week from my STHIL Dealership. Doesn't have a MS261 listed. The MS260Pro will take all of your $500. But looking at a MS311 which is "NEW" on the list may be right up your alley. Wonder if that replaces the MS310 ?

Just picked up a price list this week from my STHIL Dealership. Doesn't have a MS261 listed. The MS260Pro will take all of your $500. But looking at a MS311 which is "NEW" on the list may be right up your alley. Wonder if that replaces the MS310 ?

Hmm, yeah that MS311 is right in that sweet spot. Another one to add to my list. :laugh:

I just got a new MS362 for $600, but I'm not sure how much over your budget that might be. It is a hell of a saw and can probably handle anything you need it for and then some. My advice is go a little bigger than you think you might need. I started with the MS290 and was dissapointed in bigger wood.

I have 2 346NE and also 2 MS260s. I use them to limb and cut smaller stuff and they are great for that I due prefere the 346 over the 260 but they are both great saws. For firewood I dont use either of them not enough power for me I prefer my 372 xpw with a 24in bar less bending and great power to weight and you will want that power when you start quartoring up those big ones. I dont grab it because its the bigest saw I own I grab it because IMO its the best for the job. The 361 feels to close to the 372 in weight for me to give up the power but I dont know what they weigh. You might check the pawn shops in your area I have had good luck there. It seems like you are leaning towards stihl if so I had a 441 that I thought was a great firewood saw it had a 20in bar on it and my 72 year old dad could run it no problem. There is a man in the town I live in that sells 150 rank a year and he owns 2 saws ms361 and ms460 he loves them both 18in and 20in with a 30in if he needs it. Dont remember if its a ms 362 or 361 its a fairly new saw.

Last edited:
Out of the ones you listed I woud go with the 6401, you can always convert it to the 7900 later down the road. Great anti-vibe with good power.

Out of the ones you listed I woud go with the 6401, you can always convert it to the 7900 later down the road. Great anti-vibe with good power.

:agree2:
I would go with the refurbished 6401, you can go new if you want to waste the other $100. Both saws come with the same one year warranty from Makita, so there is really no reason to go with the new saw.

gotta admit the Makita 6401 is a hard saw to beat for $500. Fine saw as it is and will carry a 20 inch bar no problem. Very easy to mod if you ever want more displacement in the future. I had one and did the 79cc conversion myself. Simple procedure. Dang that thing ran like a scalded dog after that.
Good all around saw and good value for the dollar.

Thank you all for the replies. My list seems to be growing with everyones suggestions but that is not a bad thing.

I'm not really loyal to any brand. I think that is why I'm having such a hard choice. Seems to be pretty good dealer/service for just about any big named manufacturer within 15 miles of me. I just don't have the time to drive around to them all.

if you wanna go used?...contact some of the home depot rental centers around....they will be getting their sell sheets by next weekend for january..,,makita 6401,,for instance i picked one up for $210.00 from a center that serves ritsy collegiate lilly fingered types who just want to cut a branch here and there...mine was damn clean....ive heard of them selling for 180....what is it a hundred and something for a big bore kit and 60 bucks for the big sexy air filter set up.....
!!!!! and don't ever tell anyone you have a little lawn cart.....darn it....u have a rumbly gas burning fire breathing wood haulin monster, and when it won't start...u have a team of 6 asian women in plaid skirts who pull it and smile when u crack the whip!!!!! guff:D

Latest posts

Back