Fiskars 28" and 36" Side-By-Side Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the X17 for splitting small logs on a stump and the X25 for the larger logs 464D8C6D-4516-4CC9-B1F5-A61200DE4FA6.jpeg

I also do have a large maul,but
it never gets used anymore ...
9D3D0D93-A206-43CE-BC69-B9D2E35678EA.jpeg

And keep a kinda weird one as a family relic.It belonged to my great grandfather ( it's well over 150 years old ) .But I'm not quite sure for what it was used for actually ...It's quite big axe and rather heavy .My father used it few decades ago for splitting wood ,but I think that this is not a splitting axe.Any ideas ?
94576F7C-58AD-49B0-A02E-1CB962103009.jpeg

25C06657-4CC7-4842-B381-EC85EE97D063.jpeg

I have the X17 for splitting small logs on a stump and the X25 for the larger logs View attachment 1064203

View attachment 1064204

And keep a kinda weird one as a family relic.It belonged to my great grandfather ( it's well over 150 years old ) .But I'm not quite sure for what it was used for actually ...It's quite big axe and rather heavy .My father used it few decades ago for splitting wood ,but I think that this is not a splitting axe.Any ideas ?
View attachment 1064208

View attachment 1064209
Prolly for hewing wood, carving wood for building stuff.
Cabins, furniture ect.

I have the X17 for splitting small logs on a stump and the X25 for the larger logs View attachment 1064203

View attachment 1064204

View attachment 1064208

View attachment 1064209

That looks like a brush axe to me. Made for taking out wide swaths of small stuff that will try to skip away from a narrow head. Made heavy so as to power through a dense pack of tangled underbrush.

The serious dent in the cutting edge reflects that it was getting used near the ground and hit a few rocks and got sharpened a lot more in that smaller area.

That looks like a brush axe to me. Made for taking out wide swaths of small stuff that will try to skip away from a narrow head. Made heavy so as to power through a dense pack of tangled underbrush.

The serious dent in the cutting edge reflects that it was getting used near the ground and hit a few rocks and got sharpened a lot more in that smaller area.
That is a rather plausible explanation .All I know is that my grandfather has told us both me and my father ( his son ) that his father ( my grand-granfather ) had once killed a wild boar with it.
The boar had attacked him ,while he was in the woods when he was about 30-35 years old and he just jumped aside just before the boar reached him ,while slashing the axe with all his power at the boars neck .Nope ,no beheading there,but the blow was enough to incapacitate the boar . Men were made from different " alloy " back then I guess ...

I have goten all Fiskars models stuck. Their acute angle makes that somewhat likely. I still like them, though. My Sotz Monster maul never got stuck. It either split the log or bounced off. But I am not sure I can use it after shoulder replacement surgery.

'Heavy' might be debatable, as it's still going to be lighter than a 'full' axe head with that edge length... The way I understand it, the 'bearded axe' design's advantage is exactly that ratio, which is the same reason the Vikings used it as a fighting axe; a heavier one is harder to control if you swing it hard, especially in one handed use. But the long edge would be an important advantage in battle.

Another advantage, but possibly less so on large bearded axes, is the fact that you can put your hand behind the edge, useful for e.g. chopping etc.

I love the Ox Head! Light like an X27 but doesn’t get stuck.

X27 buried in the bottom of this stringy pine. Handle is cracked from fighting it out.

View attachment 1066712
Splitting axe stuck. View attachment 1066713

Stuck
View attachment 1066714

Not stuck, easily removed

View attachment 1066715View attachment 1066716
My Sotz Monter Maul never gets stuck, but at 15 lb, it is a bit much to swing for many. The X27 does ok on many woods. Not so good for stringy wood.

But my 15 lb ‘Monster Maul’ is already posted on Craig’s List.

View attachment 339447
View attachment 339448

Philbert

WHAT!?!?!
BLASPHEMY!!!!

I've never used anything that can handle the big and knarly like the old Monster Mauls. I cherish mine.

Can the x27 Fiskar actually compare? Or is it just that you prefer to move on from the 16lb beast?

(ps, thank you for the reivew. Much appreciated!)

Can the x27 Fiskar actually compare? Or is it just that you prefer to move on from the 16lb beast?
The ‘Monster Mall’ relied on brute force, but I had to repetitively lift and swing it. The wide angle often bounced off wood.

The Fiskars rely more on finesse and a much more acute angle.

If I could not split it with the Fiskars, I would ’noodle’ it with the saw. I don’t own a powered splitter.

Philbert

The ‘Monster Mall’ relied on brute force, but I had to repetitively lift and swing it. The wide angle often bounced off wood.

The Fiskars rely more on finesse and a much more acute angle.

If I could not split it with the Fiskars, I would ’noodle’ it with the saw. I don’t own a powered splitter.

Philbert
16lb saw more fun than 16lb maul 😆

Picked up the 8lb isocore for my Bday and I am very pleased with it. It slots in nicely between the Sotz monster and my harbor freight 4.5lber. Really quite perfect for most. For $60 its a no brainer.

Latest posts

Back