Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the price, it is cheaper than the shorter version (x25). Must be the old version.

Fiskars.com has the 36" model (#7884) listed for $54.99, so I thought the $50 price on the 36" model was in line.

For comparison, I purchased more than one 28" axe (model #7854) for $39 from Ace Hardware.

I think you're right about the "transition." It looks like the Ace Hardware website had everything there for customers to place orders (except a good picture), but didn't have any in stock yet. Also, sometimes marketing rules from the mfg. are in play; i.e, Fiskars.com may have reserved the exclusive marketing/retailing rights for a certain period of time at product introduction.

Last edited:
Fiskars.com has the 36" model (#7884) listed for $54.99, so I thought the $50 price on the 36" model was in line.

For comparison, I purchased more than one 28" axe (model #7854) for $39 from Ace Hardware.

QUOTE]

My Ace (per the website) has the 28" model for $53.99. Last week, they also had the 36" Model for 50.99, which is what I was referring to.

Newbie here, first post. I joined to find a good splitting maul. I am tired of swinging the 12lb. wedge for long hours. Thanks to this thread and many others I am going to buy a Fiskars. I am 6'7 and think I will really like the new longer version.

Did four rounds tonight

So I feed the dogs in the evening, then they go for a walk. While they were eating tonight I knocked out four rounds, alternating between my redoak and my shagbark hickory, about as nasty splitting stuff as it gets around here excepting sweetgum. Sweetgum weed trees I cut like crazy when small, so no need to split. Use those for my fall and spring wood, there are buhzillions here... Anyway...

Got 'em all knocked out, including one hickory round was 24 inches across, 16 deep, and about my limit I want to pick up and put on the block weight wise, easily more than a hundred lbs and enough for me old well used and abused back. The bigger ones I have I think I will noodle into quarters before putting on the block.

Just let them sit a few months until dried a little (these rounds are from the same little tornado back in October, cut soon thereafter, drying since then) and a little cracked, start from the outside and work round and round, then quarter the hearts. Worked just fine, didn't need to take the heavy maul out of the shed, the little fiskars did it. The red oak was even easier, that was just whackwhackwhackwhack, apart..

And sharp rules, and don't forget to brush your chopping block off, keep it clean, keep that purty edge outta the dirt!

Waiting for feed back on the long ones now, we need pics! Show us your bragger piles!

A bigger round

Did a few more big ones today, thought I'd give a whack on something much larger than I can pick up and set on the block. They aren't real dry yet, not as much as the smaller ones, but got them split. The round in the pic is redoak. I used a ramp and rolled it up to the chopping block, instead of noodling it to size. That one was oblong sorta, 20 inch at the narrowest, 23 at the widest, 14 tall.

Note: I am definitely not Schwarzenegger sized as you can see, 5'5" and 130 with my boots on, so I am not powering through the splits, just fast swinging, and tonight I started using the higher straight overhead swing. I noticed a big increase in speed. Copied that style from the fiskars site video. Bring the axe head way way back straight over your head, then down and fast. Still need a scosh more work on accuracy now, hard to learn a new technique after decades of normal off hand a little to the side swinging using mauls or a chopping ax, but I can tell it works better all ready. I love learning new stuff. I never could have done that sort of swing with a maul..proly woulda tipped me over backwards! bwahahahaha! Saw used to cut that round, echo 600p. I got 23 decent sized chunks from that round.

I always find it easier to split a freshly cut piece than a piece that has been sitting and dried out. I always put the fresh cut end up and the old cut on the end of the log down when I split. Works even better when frozen real hard.

Got my X27 in from Ace on Friday :good:. Got to use it today on roughly 2 facecords of ash. I didn't have much big stuff to try it on, max 16" dia. This was from standing dead trees I cut yesterday.

WOW! I really like this axe! I have the 28" SS as well, been using that for 3 years now (30+ cords of wood). Like most, I always wished it had a longer handle. The X27 fits the bill! I also have a 36" 6 lb maul that gets used when needed on the gnarly stuff, so I am used to the 36" handle. It has a bit more power than the 28". Of course, I'll have to get them side by side in an oak battle someday to see how much better the X27 is. Until then...

Split about 6 nice size rounds today and boy am I glad I got this thing
012-4.jpg

you guys are killin' me. i ordered mine online on 20 Jan from Fiskars and haven't even gotten word that they have shipped it. arggh. meanwhile, i cut up a few 10" - 12" trees (hickory) this week and they are out there mocking me.
*edit* I lied, I ordered it on the 24th. it just seems like friggin forever.

Last edited:
Got my X27 in from Ace on Friday :good:. Got to use it today on roughly 2 facecords of ash. I didn't have much big stuff to try it on, max 16" dia. This was from standing dead trees I cut yesterday.

So your are pretty pleased? I am right at 6' tall and this seems to be the line where its the x27 is what I need. How tall are you and is it comfortable at your height if you don't mind my asking?

So your are pretty pleased? I am right at 6' tall and this seems to be the line where its the x27 is what I need. How tall are you and is it comfortable at your height if you don't mind my asking?

I'm 5' 10". I think its great! Like I said in my post, I'm used to the 36" handle on the maul and prefer the extra length over the 28" handle on my SS. Some may have a little extra time adjusting.

Thanks! I have always used an 8lb maul with 36" handle myself so the x27 is what I will be getting.

Thanks! I have always used an 8lb maul with 36" handle myself so the x27 is what I will be getting.

I have the 28 cowroy, I think you will love it. Its very nice. Not as much power as a maul, but its sharp as hell and easy to use. Just a lot of fun IMHO.

Funny, I ordered it the first day it was available for online sales, and it is on backorder. Apparently the 36" Fiskars is popular. -Vic

From Fiskar's Customer Service: Thank you for your recent email inquiry.

Unfortunately, your order is on backorder at this time. We expect to receive the merchandise into stock within the next couple weeks.

Once your order has shipped, you will receive a shipment confirmation via email.

Thank You,

Sue
Consumer Services
On Line Store for Fiskars

Latest posts

Back