Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, I ordered it the first day it was available for online sales, and it is on backorder. Apparently the 36" Fiskars is popular. -Vic

From Fiskar's Customer Service: Thank you for your recent email inquiry.

Unfortunately, your order is on backorder at this time. We expect to receive the merchandise into stock within the next couple weeks.

Once your order has shipped, you will receive a shipment confirmation via email.

Thank You,

Sue
Consumer Services
On Line Store for Fiskars

I think if I were you, I would try to get my $$ back from them, & go order it from your local Ace store.

I think if I were you, I would try to get my $$ back from them, & go order it from your local Ace store.

At this point, I think it is just a matter of which line I want to be in the back of. Ace isn't showing any online last time I checked, either.

Picked mine up at Ace today. I only got a few licks in with it so far and already like the balance of the longer handle better than the 28 inch SS but the verdict is still out. It didn't split the chunks off the butt cut of a 40+ inch oak tree that's cut to 20 inches....but neither did the monster maul or 28 inch super splitter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like they are availble on amazon now via Bailey's... However it doesn't qualify for the free shipping...:struggle:

I went to ACE hardware last week and inquired about the new model. The owner didn't even know about it. He looked it up and ordered me one. He said it was even $5.00 less than the 28" model. He then put in another order for 2 more to see how they would sell. Mine is ready for pickup tomorrow morning after work. I will get some test time downsizing splits in a pile I thought I would be burning next year. Thanks wify for keeping the house EXTREMLY warm while I was deployed!!!

Update:
I got to use both the 28 and 36 this morning and it was about a wash. Anything the 36 would split, the 28 would too; anything the 36 wouldn't split, the 28 wouldn't either. I could swing the 28 noticably faster and it wasn't as tiring to use so I'll probably be using it more.
Keep in mind i'm 5'6 and about 170 so the 36 is probably going to be better for taller people and/or people with the upper body strength of a gorilla.

Update:
I got to use both the 28 and 36 this morning and it was about a wash. Anything the 36 would split, the 28 would too; anything the 36 wouldn't split, the 28 wouldn't either. I could swing the 28 noticably faster and it wasn't as tiring to use so I'll probably be using it more.
Keep in mind i'm 5'6 and about 170 so the 36 is probably going to be better for taller people and/or people with the upper body strength of a gorilla.

I cant more than agree, that longer shaft do not make sense to me...I would love to try that new one though....
Just posted this thread about the reason to stick with the "old" pioneer FSS m#7854 axe

Edit:
Using the wrist snap swing, the longer handle will discourage the speed of the snap.....so I think you hit the nail on the head, saying you swing 28 faster than 36

Last edited:
I cant more than agree, that longer shaft do not make sense to me...I would love to try that new one though....
Just posted this thread about the reason to stick with the "old" pioneer FSS m#7854 axe

Edit:
Using the wrist snap swing, the longer handle will discourage the speed of the snap.....so I think you hit the nail on the head, saying you swing 28 faster than 36

I've been in touch with a couple of you about this.

So, are you guys saying they redesigned the heads on the super splitters?

I'm just real reluctant to get the shorter one because it would require me to use a fairly tall block or stand fairly close.

Maybe in a couple years they'll re-redesign it and come out with a 30" or 32" super splitter :)

This is driving me crazy. Maybe I ought to just head to Harbor Freight and spend $20 on a 6lb maul. At least then I won't expect it to work well. :)

Yes, you can definitely 'snap' the 28" SS better. It is quicker to swing. With that said, I do find the extra leverage of the 36" to be of benefit to me. I have a more powerful swing with the X27.

I'm sure they're both pretty close, it comes down to how you split and handle length preference. I haven't had mine out since I bought the X27 to get a good comparison, too much snow out there.

I've been in touch with a couple of you about this.

So, are you guys saying they redesigned the heads on the super splitters?

I'm just real reluctant to get the shorter one because it would require me to use a fairly tall block or stand fairly close.

Maybe in a couple years they'll re-redesign it and come out with a 30" or 32" super splitter :)

This is driving me crazy. Maybe I ought to just head to Harbor Freight and spend $20 on a 6lb maul. At least then I won't expect it to work well. :)
minor difference but major at impact
old 7854 67mm wide edge (2.64")
Fiskars-7854-Super-Splitting-Axe-Gear-Patrol.jpg

new x25 80 mm edge (3.15")
sekera-fiskars-x25-stipaci-plastove-pouzdro.jpg

Edit:
you are awfully passionate about faults of a design you haven't even tried. i don't get it, actually. yes, the head is wider, and the handle is longer. longer handle = more force at the head, every time. shorter handle = easier handling (hitting your target). so, there is a balance between accuracy and force. i can only suppose that the fiskars' design engineers intended that a wider head will be utilized by the exra force for a benefit.

I haven't tried either of the tools, so i can't know which one is best for me, yet. You found that the shorter fiskars works for you, and may even be right about the new design.

Last edited:
you are awfully passionate about faults of a design you haven't even tried.
Thanks for the "passionate" credits...."awfully"??...I don't know about...LOL
I did take the X27 out of its case at my local ACE HW store the other day...I did not connect with it....

i don't get it, actually. yes, the head is wider, and the handle is longer. longer handle = more force at the head, every time.
Let us say we put that axe head and handle weight in your hand but we make the handle 20ft long.....do are you sure you can accelerate that head to the same speed at the same amount of time as you would with a 28" handle???? With a longer handle you will for sure be able to give the head higher speed, but at the cost of longer swingtime....thats because you use the same body force at both swings, but the inertial resistance is higher with the longer shaft....

shorter handle = easier handling (hitting your target). so, there is a balance between accuracy and force
You nailed it here. Agree! I prefer accuracy and SPEED rather than plain force....
i can only suppose that the fiskars' design engineers intended that a wider head will be utilized by the exra force for a benefit.
It is like the Apple IPhone's, the manufacturer have to come with something new once in a while to increase sales....It is a bad deal to sell a lifetime warranty axe, that never breaks....you want that customer to keep buying axes, even if they do not make him perform better....

I haven't tried either of the tools, so i can't know which one is best for me, yet. You found that the shorter fiskars works for you, and may even be right about the new design.
My advice is to get the old FFS# 7854, while they are still in stock...I might go and get a few from my store for future demand....

Last edited:
maybe they would make you a custom one!

..just for a hoot the other day I tried my newly acquired straigt overhad snap swing I learned with the fiskars with my big maul! hahah, earlier I had mentioned I am so small it might tip me over, so I just *had* to try it. Got it working!

I still like my fiskars better though.

I think what you might want, maybe, is the original head with the longer handle. I can't see the negligible weight difference of the composite handle being 8 inches longer. I also don't think accuracy will be any big deal either after some swings, I know I can walk a cut right across a big round most of the time and keep hitting the same crack, just extending it. Watching you split, I think you could do it as well.

So, ask fiskars if they would shrink a long handle, but on an original head, for ya. Who knows, they might say yes. You don't like it, stick it on the classifieds here, it'll sell.

I don't have the spare loot right now for the longer handled new version, so I won't be getting one to try it, but if I can overhead swing my big maul, I think I could handle the 36 inch version and get right decent speed and focus and accuracy out of it. Like I also said before, I would like to try a halberd sized version, for real, like a five or six foot handle and the fiskars head.

Just for a hoot. I do a lot of stuff for a hoot. Been doing that since I was a little kid, see no reason to stop now! hahaha!

That's an interesting hypothesis, though I don't think it tells the full story. If that were true then a 1mm wide edge would travel 2000mm or completely through any firewood log. Even if that was possible it's not likely that it would split anything.

*If* the force on each Fiskars head were the same your theory may have some merit. But a wider head will weigh more and the longer handle will be traveling faster for the same hand speed both equalling more force and thus more penetration.

I've only used the 28" model and it does seem to work well. I can say that the 8 lb. maul tires me faster than the 6 lb. so the longer/heavier Fiskars may do the same to me compared to the shorter one. But to say it's 20% less effective I have trouble agreeing with - I suspect they are both fine tools. My guess is that a taller/stronger operator would do well to have the longer handle.

Here is an explanation on my penetration hypothesis...LOL
allright dammit, now i just like 'ya for that. but... you are very much biasing your belief on the same force being applied to both heads, which simply isn't the case. note, i am NOT saying that you are wrong, but that your giving opinion based on bias and beliefs rather than the reality, but as long as everyone gets that, all is well. i'm sure you are happy with the shorter handled version, so all is good there, too.

That's an interesting hypothesis, though I don't think it tells the full story.
Of course your are right there, because at such extreme situation, the normally iterative equation will look different...
If that were true then a 1mm wide edge would travel 2000mm or completely through any firewood log. Even if that was possible it's not likely that it would split anything.
agree there to, the splitting ability is about a combination of penetration dept and width of the edge...the physical structure of the wood in the log is also in play, together with pitch/water...will pitch reduce or increase friction compard to dry woodfiber??

I do think, with the wood I split I would benefit from an even more narrow edge, current is 67mm, I think 35-40mm with a little steeper pitch (angle) on the axe head, will crack my logs easier. It is the first initial crack that is crucial, the rest just take a portion of the power...have to hold back actually.....

*If* the force on each Fiskars head were the same your theory may have some merit. But a wider head will weigh more and the longer handle will be traveling faster for the same hand speed both equalling more force and thus more penetration.
The heads have the same weight, the are both 4.25 lbs according to Fiskars.

so the longer/heavier Fiskars may do the same to me compared to the shorter one. But to say it's 20% less effective I have trouble agreeing with - I suspect they are both fine tools. My guess is that a taller/stronger operator would do well to have the longer handle.
I never compared the new 36" long handle X27 with the old #7854...I compared X25 with the old #7854, they have same handle length, 28".

Last edited:
allright dammit, now i just like 'ya for that. but... you are very much biasing your belief on the same force being applied to both heads, which simply isn't the case. note, i am NOT saying that you are wrong, but that your giving opinion based on bias and beliefs rather than the reality, but as long as everyone gets that, all is well. i'm sure you are happy with the shorter handled version, so all is good there, too.

I am not biasing my self...

Of course it is the same force, I am comparing two 28" handle axes with different head shape...X25 vs 7854

Latest posts

Back