For you Southern Boys and Girls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thanks to the last two winter storms over this past week I've spent about 8 hours on my tractor just plowing out. From my tractor to the mail box out by the road is half a mile and I have to plow every bit of it to get out to the main road.

Thought you might like a pic or two of the winter wonderland in New York's Southern Tier.

Driveway.

winter06.jpg

My youngest daughter on her horse running an errand to the neighbors.

MartaonAnnieDec312012_zpsafc69618.jpg

Sunset last night.

SunsetDec312012_zps67c913bc.jpg

I dropped this tree the day after Christmas before the first storm hit. I cut the top out and limbed it and drug it to the barn. Today I plowed around the tree so I could piece it out and put it on the split pile. Oh the joys of winter!

Onground3_zpsa9688c8d.jpg

Over here in Eastern NY, we got about 6". I havent used my snowblower in 2 years (last year was not a snow year by any stretch). Still had gas in it! Ooops...I am usually pretty good about that, but not this time. Anyway....fired right up and ran great...ethanol fuel and all! 9hp tecumseh. Not so sure my briggs or honda small engines would have done as well. RIP Tecumseh!:rock:

OOOOOOOH...this could be a small engine thread!:bang:

Nice Pics of the little one in the woods. Something like 34 or 35 days for that Groundhog to show his head. Some say it's also the half way point of the heating season. We still have a good 8 to 10 inches of snow on the ground. That's more than enough for me..

Last edited:
PC300010_small.jpg

PC300008_small.jpg

3 hours, 500' for me :) Future storms I'm guessing an hour for an equivalent 10".

First time I've plowed with the garden tractor, some learning curve issues, some mechanical issues, some being first storm of the season I needed to make sure I got everything pushed WAY back where I could since I can't pile it high like a truck plow, I can't lift it high like a front end loader, and I can't blow it far away.

Thought you might like a pic or two of the winter wonderland in New York's Southern Tier.

That has a familiar look. At one time I lived in "lake effect land", just off the eastern end of Lake Ontario, 30 miles from Canada. I didn't have quite that much driveway to plow. Nice pics.

First time I've plowed with the garden tractor, some learning curve issues, some mechanical issues, some being first storm of the season I needed to make sure I got everything pushed WAY back where I could since I can't pile it high like a truck plow, I can't lift it high like a front end loader, and I can't blow it far away.

Sometimes you just NEED a good old fashioned walk-behind snowblower. :msp_smile:

Maybe the pictures are deceiving, but why do you need to plow your driveway out, if by the looks of it, you got 6 inches of snow? A couple of feet sure, six inches nay.

If you were missing your garden hose I think I found it for you. Bottom picture behind the dog.

Pic number 2 was taken last year. I didn't get a recent pic of the driveway. Between the two recent storms over 4 days we got in excess of 16" of snow. I plowed 4 times just to keep up with it. If it gets deeper than 8" I struggle with my tractor and 3-point hitch mount blade.

Hey Dalmation 90. The voice of experience (here) says you can't push that snow too far out of the way. I got caught 3 years ago with a Valentine's Day storm (almost 2 feet of snow). I figured that was the last big snow for the winter .... W R O N G! Two weeks to the day later we got another big snow in excess of 2 feet. It stayed cold so the previous snow didn't melt and I had no place to put the new snow. It took be a day and a half to plow out. Now I move the snow as far back as I can.

Maybe the pictures are deceiving, but why do you need to plow your driveway out, if by the looks of it, you got 6 inches of snow? A couple of feet sure, six inches nay.

It all depends on the consistancy. I snowscoop 6 inches because our snow is heavy and wet and usually gets rained on which makes it even harder to maneuver in unplowed. We call it Cascade Concrete.

It could be worse. Or better. We are having yet another excellent skiing year. Here is the conditions and web cam page. Of course, the base you will see is at 4500 feet elevation.

White Pass Ski Area - White Pass Conditions

ok, Im a bit confused here... Im in the south and last week we had 5 inches of snow on the ground...:msp_sneaky:

Lucky to have a 1086 or 1586 to push snow with depending which has the loader on it. Cab and heat are nice. Getting some light snow as I type.

Great photos... the snow reminds me of when I lived in the hills of Virginny. :)

Had a long, downhill driveway and we got a good snow or ice storm pretty much every winter. The neighbor man had a Ford 4X4 tractor with blade, he'd clear the drive for $20.00.

Nice pics,,,,,that is the exact reason in 1981 i moved my family to texas, after the blizzard of 1977 when we had snow up to the gutters and had to climb out the windows, i told my wife thats it i've had it, and now if i want to see snow i can log in and look at pics...

Bob.....:cheers:

Back