Forum Protocol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yer rite it kin git a LOOOOOT werse. When I post using nonstandard prose, it is usually to make a point or to be funny.

I have found that people tend to take me more seriously when I take the time to speak or write in the formal register ( that's fancyspeak fer talkin' right an wrightin' good).

I also set an example for my students, and if I get into the habit of taking shortcuts in my writing and speech, it becomes easier for me to slack up in class, where they pays me too talk write and rite good.

If I had a web site advertising items for sale, I would always be certain the item descriptions were written correctly, because that is the face I present to the public. I private, I use a fair amount of slang, because it is sometimes more effective. Fer whut its werth......

Teach,

Like I always say, "The Good L0RD has a purpose for everyone, even if it's to serve as a bad example".

Carry on,

ole joat

I use Firefox as my main web browser and it automatically underlines anything misspelled with a red line, just like in any good word processing program. I always just thought it was built-in to the forum code, but I just tested in IE and it doesn't do it. Yet another reason to use Firefox, I guess.

I just don't understand why some people (at least seem to) have such an aversion to doing things the proper way even after being shown how. It reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy's definition of "Redneck" as "A glorious lack of sophistication". Of course I'm not implying that anyone using less-than-perfect English is a Redneck or anything (I would probably qualify for the Canadian equivalent), it just seems like there is a certain type of person who may KNOW they're doing something improperly, but instead of trying to better themselves, they instead seem to take pride in their inability and/or lack of education, and hold animosity towards those who may be more able and/or educated. I don't get it.

I don't judge people who might be less educated than I am, but I get a little annoyed when friends of mine who didn't even give an effort in school call me out for using a word they don't understand or correcting a statement they make. I'm not going to dumb myself down just because they didn't bother to learn something.

I didn't read all of the replies, but I tend to agree with the OP when it comes to grammar. The attitude that it doesn't matter how you use the language as long as the point is made is why our children graduate without knowing right from wrong.

Can't fail Johnny, he tried. If you mark his test with a red "F", he will be emotionally scarred and it will hurt his confidence. Well Johnny tried and he got it wrong. There is no gray area. You're right or you're wrong when it comes to grammar.

Judging by the replies, most folk here don't care, and I suppose that's ok, but here on the forum we have nothing to go on except your typewritten word. How you present yourself in words reflects upon you. If you present yourself as an illiterate dropout, that's how folk will perceive you, whether it's accurate or not.

Well, my spellchecker hasn't underlined anything in red, although I think I have some run on sentence structure that could be massaged.

Oh well, I tried. Did I pass teacher?

Ian

I didn't read all of the replies, but I tend to agree with the OP when it comes to grammar. The attitude that it doesn't matter how you use the language as long as the point is made is why our children graduate without knowing right from wrong.

Can't fail Johnny, he tried. If you mark his test with a red "F", he will be emotionally scarred and it will hurt his confidence. Well Johnny tried and he got it wrong. There is no gray area. You're right or you're wrong when it comes to grammar.

Judging by the replies, most folk here don't care, and I suppose that's ok, but here on the forum we have nothing to go on except your typewritten word. How you present yourself in words reflects upon you. If you present yourself as an illiterate dropout, that's how folk will perceive you, whether it's accurate or not.

Well, my spellchecker hasn't underlined anything in red, although I think I have some run on sentence structure that could be massaged.

Ian

I don't think people don't care, but a forum like texting tends to promote more informal use and some shorthand. Some of us type with a country boy twang for fun.

You know as many people make fun of Tom Trees, I would like to shake the mans hand and tell him what a good sport he is for putting up with it and sticking around.

Haven't laid eyes on the man but i figure he's probably one that you wouldn't want to rile up. Probably tough as nails. So here's to ya Tom Trees and i'd still go fishin with ya.

I for one am one of the worst spellers on the face of this earth. I have a spell checker on the computer. Although, I'm using IE because FireFox wouldn't let me into AS so I don't think the spell checker is working with IE.

I have a BS degree in Industrial Tech. I have a AS degree in CAD Computer Aided Drafting/Design.

I work hard to make my posts readable and understandable.

I've said that typing, now it's called keyboarding, was the best thing that I learned in HS. I don't know how I would have made it through college with out the skill.

I do feel for people who didn't learn to use a keyboard. I know the Circle, Hunt, Peck is a slow methoud to get a thought across.

My wife can smoke me on with typing and spelling. I've checked things over a few times, even with a spell checker, and she still picks out mistakes.

I think the point of the OP was, and correct me if I'm wrong, at least try to make the post look like you tried to make it understandable. I'm sure I have mistakes in this post. However, I do believe I got my point across.

Regards,

Dan

Ian

Ian,

You may need to get out a little more. Get over to Newport and tip a few and ..... well ... you know.

Tryin' to help,

ole joat

I do have to admit, I'm the type of person that considers spelling and punctuation to be very important - for me. It's a problem that's compounded by the fact that I'm very bad at both. If others aren't that concerned about their punctuation or spelling it's no sweat off my back, especially on a forum. I've got enough to do just worrying about me.

I'm sorry, but I've got to agree with the intent of the OP. No, I'm not complaining about every little grammatical error. It's only those posts that it's obvious the poster didn't care enough to even try. This is communication and a couple periods and caps go a long ways to making it readable. The kind of posts that bug me are rare. I'm talking about the ones like yesterday that don't have a single cap or period. Just one long string of incorrectly spelled words. If I believed the OP wasn't capable of more, then that's cool. But I doubt that's the case. And if not, and you don't care enough to write it such that it's readable, then you don't care enough to get a reply. Go ahead, call me a snob.

+1,000

I couldn't write anything better than that about the OP's intent.

Off topic opinion coming.....

However, since it was mentioned in at least one post that the problem is in the public schools, I can't let that go. I can't even begin to fathom the shorthand the kids use with their phones. Can anyone tell me why 2nd graders need cell phones?????? Most of the trouble we see in school is a lack of work(i.e.--NOTHING gets done at home). However, if someone can explain to the mothers and fathers(some of whom go to one place one week and the other the next---if there are two parents) that the kids are actually supposed to work on school work at home as well as in class. These are the adults that come in and get upset when their son/daughter/step-son/step-daughter/grandchild/step-grandchild/legal guardian earns a low grade for not doing anything.

As I can only speak to the schools I have attended or observed in, all I can say is that to fault the schools for poorly motivated students and kids with no support at home is incorrect. Politicians love to blame us and so does the media. Private schools are so much better.............sure. Well, they kick out the ones that don't cut it as happens in our town. Where do these malfeasants go after being kicked out? PUBLIC SCHOOL! We do the best we can with what we have and our school does pretty darn good.

Sorry for the rant, but you better be ready to give me specific instances of failure and/or facts to back it up if you call me(a teacher) out. If not, then knock it off.

I'll just say that I've become accustomed to the poor grammar and spelling. But as long as we're talking peeves, I hate these two terms:

"don't look back"
"nuff said"

For example:

"Buy the 361 and don't look back."
"Husky rules, 'nuff said."

No supporting arguments, no rationale, nor accounts of personal experience are offered. Reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy arguments we had...in grade school....before we were old enough to drive. 'Nuff said.;)

QUOTE=Cedarkerf;1551775]I don't think people don't care, but a forum like texting tends to promote more informal use and some shorthand. Some of us type with a country boy twang for fun.[/QUOTE]

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

You know as many people make fun of Tom Trees, I would like to shake the mans hand and tell him what a good sport he is for putting up with it and sticking around.

Haven't laid eyes on the man but i figure he's probably one that you wouldn't want to rile up. Probably tough as nails. So here's to ya Tom Trees and i'd still go fishin with ya.

Good post S.S.

Im sure he is a great guy.

How many times have you seen his name run together at the end of the post?

My eyes almost cross every time.

You have to love the guy.

I chuckle every time I see it.barkies:clap:

Maybe this will appear petty to some, but there are a few things that really annoy me about some posts on this and other on-line forums. Here are a few of my gripes, in no particular order:

1. USING ALL CAPS WHEN TYPING.

2. failure to use any capital letters where appropriate.

3. Failure to use punctuation of any kind such as periods commas apostrophes etc with run on sentences like youve never had to come up for air after typing for 10 minutes straight

4. Obvious lack of grammar: "Me and him, we seen 'em". Yikes.

5. The improper use of the words: BEST and WORST. What is the best saw? What is the best chain. What is the worst grinder. These words are inherently subjective and should be treated as such. I recommend phrases like: "What do you recommend and why?"

6. Failure to use any kind of search function prior to posting a topic that is regularly beaten to death.

7. Failure to use the spell check feature.

I feel better now.

-- Edit --

I know that I'll get flamed for the references to grammar, punctuation, etc. My reasoning is simple. Without communication, there would be no ArboristSite forum (along with a good many other things). As such, proper communication can only help, not hinder.

Yup, good.

I don't think people don't care, but a forum like texting tends to promote more informal use and some shorthand. Some of us type with a country boy twang for fun.

Informal is one thing, and I agree with that, but Heaven help us all if we go down the road of texting. I don't like to see a post like:

STIHL 66 WONT RUN NO SPARK WTF?!

And yet they appear now and then, and everyone else is supposed to somehow magically fill in the blanks. I don't like it when things are reduced to the bare essentials. Too much information gets left out.

I agree with a previous poster (can't remember who it was) who said they were glad they learned to type in school. I was in the last grade at my school that actually learned to type on a typewriter, not a computer. And if the teacher caught you using the correction ribbon, you'd better start prayin'. But after 8 years of typing in school, I can now average around 65 WPM and that's with four half-numb, slightly shorter fingertips.

Latest posts

Back