Free Craftsman 16" chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice tirade, but you are confusing the requirement with the solution. The requirement is "make a saw that meets these limits". So the manufacturer submits a product, but if there are adjustment screws on the side then how does the manufacturer assure that the stuff they sell performs like the stuff they submitted? The special screws was the solution the manufacturers designed, along with other wonderful ideas like packing the adjustments with epoxy. Eventually they came up with better approaches like feedback carbs.

So yeah, the govt does a lot of dumb things, but OPE 2-strokes have produced absolutely incredible amounts of emissions due to scavenging losses and terrible carburetors. It was not unreasonable to require the manufacturers to do better, and in fact they were able to do much better, and now we have saws that perform better and pollute less.

Ya, they do pollute less, but some are unrealistically too lean to run properly and can get toasted easy. It happens, I have an expensive box of junk here myself that got ran with stock settings.

I like the strato designs and feedback carbs, but don't like restricted cat mufflers, closed off and limited adjustments, and also ethanol contaminated fuel.

Ya, they do pollute less, but some are unrealistically too lean to run properly and can get toasted easy. It happens, I have an expensive box of junk here myself that got ran with stock settings.

I like the strato designs and feedback carbs, but don't like restricted cat mufflers, closed off and limited adjustments, and also ethanol contaminated fuel.
Lean settings, cat mufflers, limited adjusters are all the "solutions" that manufacturers designed to meet the rules, not things required of them. I have to design products to meet safety and performance rules every day - if I submit something stupid that will fail in the field and piss off our customers, that is not the problem of the rules it is my mistake.

If I do a good job and meet the rules with a good product, then I have an advantage over competitors who don't know how.

Ethanol - well I'm with you there, just like with oxygenated fuels.

Lean settings, cat mufflers, limited adjusters are all the "solutions" that manufacturers designed to meet the rules, not things required of them. I have to design products to meet safety and performance rules every day - if I submit something stupid that will fail in the field and piss off our customers, that is not the problem of the rules it is my mistake.

If I do a good job and meet the rules with a good product, then I have an advantage over competitors who don't know how.

Ethanol - well I'm with you there, just like with oxygenated fuels.

Chris, I guess I am more of a results guy than a rule guy. If the mandate results in negative returns, regardless of fault, it seems shortsighted to me. As they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Landfills full of disposable plastic saws seems a bigger waste of resources. Oh well, it is good to look at an issue from all sides. I consider myself a conservationist, not lobbying for instant gratification at the expense of long term good.

Ethanol....another shortsighted mandate!

I will PM you with a question on the bell/horn shape of port mods if you have any insight. Nobody answered my post.

Latest posts

Back